Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed controller  (Read 1922 times)

splasher 1

• Shipmate
Speed controller
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »

Hi all,

I have just come across a tornado 50amp esc and have invested in a Perkasa which the manufacturers say should be powered by two 540s. Would it be too much for these motors or about right ?  advice please.

I also have a Mabuchi 540SH, question what does SH stand for?    It powered a model tank which has been binned and I've saved a gearbox which has clutches for turning left and right.
Could these be used for anything?  

Regards Splasher.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Speed controller
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

50 amp esc should be able to power to 540's as long as the correct props are used. SH means rare earth magnets and plastic endbell. Tank gear box is very useful to someone who needs one. Even if you dont use it some one on ebay would fork out at least a tenner for it.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rs_540sh
from a quick google indicates a 65watt motor pulling about 13A, depending on the actual model (2 shown), with a fairly an utterly horrendous stall current.
With fairly small 2 blade props to allow enough revs, and a 30A (ish) fuse between the battery and ESC, you should get the performance that the motors are capable of without cooking the ESC.  A better option is one ESC per motor, and distrusting over-optimistic ESC ratings is a sensible trait, although buying over the counter in the UK should be better than doing the same transaction at 8000 mile range.  If the ESC has both a forward and reverse current rating, believe the reverse rating - if it isn't man enough for the two motors in parallel, consider one per motor.
Doing a Perkasa on the cheap is a recipe for disappointment - they look great when showing off their potential, but a big, heavy, fast boat needs solid power, and that is never cheap and rarely easy.
An ESC can never be too much for any motor - the other way round, really.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:11 pm »

Thank you mike for you're advice ,i do have my doubts about the 50amp forward and 20 amp reverse esc. The manufacturers recommend 2x  500 size motors and a 40 amp Mtronics viper sc + 7.2 v batteries and 30mm 3bladed props. Or using the same props ,E.S.C, but using 8.4 or 9.6 v batteries and upping to 600 size motors.
                                                                                                                                                               Regards Splasher 1         

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:41:17 am »

The Tornado is an excellent ESC [I have four] and is sold over the counter at a very reasonable price,

One could probably do the job but two would be better
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:32 am »

Hi Splasher, also bear in mind the Tamiya type connectors used on ESC are good upto about 20 amps.
I like Dicky have 4 of the Tornado ESC but on my models I use 1 per motor, so I have better control over steering.

john

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:27:44 pm »

Thank you DD ,Thank you John, for you're help i will be going for a pair of Tornadoes .Regards Splasher.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.