Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I feel the need for speed  (Read 6070 times)

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
I feel the need for speed
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

Hi I have not been on since the crash so glad to be back. I have been working on the boat and now got to the stage where I need to give it some power, Firstly the hull is 3ft long.Weighs 8 1/2 pounds  and 12in wide so a bit of a beast. I am open to using brushless/lipo got to move with the times, I have a decent budget so all ideas welcome. The hull was an old torpedo boat but not in that sort of thing so I set about a making a new upper deck and am pleased with the  way it turned out so my question is how do I get it on the plane and cruise when needed I am after the complete package Motor/ ESC/Cells and a decent supplier of the parts, It also needs a new prop tube as it's rusted solid so need a new one with bearings in it's 10in long. Over to you guys Ps keep it simple and in the words of Jeremy Clarkson POWER,

Regards Ade

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: I feel the need for speed
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:20:01 pm »

Lots of Power!  O0

What ball park boundary price do you have in mind for the motor, controller, batteries, rtc.?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:26:50 pm »

Hi Martin I was thinking around £250 all in, oh and a charger as well.

Regards Ade

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »

Any thoughts anyone all help gladly accepted.

Regards Ade 

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:39 pm »

Right that looks like a perkassa 34ins hull so lets go on that assumption what I would start off with is a pair of Graupener 900 motors(A Model World) running 12v Minh batts(Component shop) They also sell chargers....3 blade props and M4 shafts (Steve Model boat bits).........If you want to go Brushless then simply contact Alan Debsnnal on htis forum he knows his stuff ref Brushless and Lipo's

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:36 am »

Have a look through some of the huntsman build threads quite a bit of info on there

Are you going for single or twin props?  reading your post it sounds like you want twin but the pics show only a single shaft opening in the hull

Personally if its POWER you're after then brushless is the way to go probably with 22.2V lipos

My huntsman is 36" in a running a single 800KV Outrunner on 22.2V initial pool tests have shown some serious power
When running brushless outrunners water cooling is a must and does cause a few extra head aches
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »

Hi Ade,

I am building a similar size hull, (offshore style racer)   . I am using one of Hobbykings Turnigy T600 1400kv outrunners on 6S lipos.This is also advertised as a helicopter motor, but has serious power and torque.

I am using a Turnigy T180 ESC's which is watercooled . With a little filing, the motor fits one of the fibre glass and metal watercooled 540 mounts from places like prestwich models, see attached photo.

Cheers Ian

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:16:55 pm »

Hi guys thanks for the reply s I think I will go down the same route as Ian it looks neat and tidy and having  read a lot about this motor on the net today  it sounds like the one to go for cheap very powerful and gives a great turn of speed,

Ian when you say you are running 6s lipos what kind of volts are you talking and how many amps Ie 5000 and are you using two packs or one as new to this sort of thing.

Regards Ade

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:50:59 pm »

Hi Ade

I am using 6 lipo cells i.e 6x3.7=22.2volts  I have 2 x3S lipo cells wired in series to give a 6S2P pack.  The ones I am using I imported from HK .

They are 8400mah 40-80C cells  , hopefully a link to the Hobbyking site is included below.

The idea of two cells rather than one 6S cell is that it should be easier to balance the boat both laterally and from end to end, to get the CofG right. They are rather heavy but the hull I have should take it. When I buy a second set, I would probably go for a similar set at about 5000mah, they won't take so long to recharge between runs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21945__Turnigy_nano_tech_8400mah_3S_40_80C_Lipo_Pack_TRA2878_Slash_VXL_Slash_4x4_compatible_.html

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:51 am »

My setup is 2 x 6S (22.2V) 2650Mah cells wired in parralell giving 22.2V@5300Mah, but my motor is a little smaller.  same reasons for using 2 battery packs

Heres a link to my build log
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36813.msg379902#msg379902

Not much happening at the moment as I need to rethink my layout before going any further

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »

could you posibly put a link up for that motore please would be ideal for my rttl  :-))

thanks james

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 01:55:25 pm »

Those t 600 motors have bags of power two pushed one of my 58 Apaches to 50 mph on 6s also an easier to get hold of motor are the hi model brand theyre a tad better too,two of these push the same hull to 50-52 mph.
Mart
I think this one or the bigger one in 910 kv would do you niceley
http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiModel_PRO_Series_830KV_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_for_550-600_Helicopter_Type_HG3730PRO-6T.html

http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiModel_PRO_Series_910KV_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_for_600-700_Helicopter_Type_HG3740PRO-4T.html

two of these in Pates Apache enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cb9cX4_kw0&feature=plcp

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »

Hi Guys,

The one I am using is one of 3 that I bought from Hobbyking when they were a bit cheaper than now.  Link below

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11980

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:11 pm »

Hi guys thanks for all your help on this matter all good info and gratefully received I think the T600 is the motor of choice running on lipo 22.5 so which esc should I have to go with this set up again all help gladly received .

Regards Ade     

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »

Ian, you say you are "building" your boat, so I assume you have no actual info on how it runs yet? The T600 motor is indeed very good , but for Ades hull, assuming he is using direct drive, particulary if 6 cells, that kv is too high, it will produce loads or revs, great for a lightweight racing hull,  but you need more torque, which means a lower kv, the T600 880kv ( or it may be 800kv, cant remember?) will produce more torque, and run cooler, and will handle 6 cells. I extensively tested the T600 and other motors, although in a bigger hull, with data logging equipment so can speak from experience, the biggest kv I tested was 1260, and that needed gearing to reduce the revs and increase torque, maybe the motor suggested by mart, 910kv?

hope that helps :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:59 am »

I took on board Phils advice and went for roughly the same KV but with a slightly smaller motor.  I just should have paid more attention to the plans when deciding on battery placement lol

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »

Problem with the t 600 is theyre allways out of stock,the hi models are a nice motor and a tad cheaper and not out of stock so much lol.Yes go with lower kv  ;).
Mart

Ade the Blade

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »

Thanks for all your input should I go for a lower Kv as it might be better for a boat of this weight and size.

Regards Ade

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »

sub 1000kv, not tried the motors that mart has suggested, as he has used them, its a good guide that they will be good, I would say on direct drive siomewhere between 700 and 900kv, just make sure your esc can handle the amount of cells you want, and has enough headroom for the spkie of amps. I am currently using a t600 800 kv on 4 cells, in a 3 foot aerokits fireboat, direct drive and have a turnigy reversing 60 amp esc, its performance is better than the 700bb turbo on 14v it replaced, not rocket fast, but certainly very acceptable,  :-))

In my 4 Foot Huntsman, same motor on 6 cells, "x" 52.5mm prop, but geared 1.14:1 it produced 23mph, but way up on the amps at 80 (spiked), that boat has a much bigger esc,

hope that helps

Paul

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:39 pm »

Thanks for all your input should I go for a lower Kv as it might be better for a boat of this weight and size.

Regards Ade

If you go with the t600 get the 880 kv its what Pate used in the Apache twin so a single should push your boat to a good scale speed maybe better.He swapped to the hi models after a mishap when one lipo came loose and hit one motor he now prefers the hi models.Hes currently getting 50-52 mph in a 58" boat,he used hk 200 amp esc,s but a t 180 would work but a tad more expensive.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.