Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175570 times)

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »

Thanks for those pics Rmay very interesting to see. I'll be sticking to wheeled doors all over

Hi Charles

Sounds like very bad luck with your model my club pond is only 18 inches deep I will be doing float tests to ensure no leaks.

The smoke generators are a pair of graupner small ones according to the instructions they can be connected in parallel to the models drive motors i have not tested this yet but i imagine they would give you smoke proportional to speed i might test this at mo mine are connected to a r/c switch for simple on and off controlled by channel 5 on my planet t5

funny you should ask about the turrets I have been working on them this weekend.

Its been a bust couple of days in the workshop A lot of head scratching working out the best way to make the turrets rotate while still being able to remove the super structures.

While i was thinking i was fiddling with model operating the rudders and watching them move and thinking i don't like the way the tillers staying hard over with servo central every so often. I have now changed to a vertical mounted servo with and adjustable control rod to a bell crank. worked much smooth and more precise control too.

Now back to the guns. According to the intructions each gun, torpedo mounts and gun director are connected to a long rod assembly by short pivot arms and the guns turn via a cam driven from the gearbox. Simple! Best keep it simple. Hardest part is being able to separate the some of the guns and the reconnect them. I decided to use guide tubes to make sure each shaft will be aligned every time a section is removed and refitted. I cut plastic tube to length and the glue them in place with revell precision poly which gave me time to fit the structure and ensure the tubes aligned perfectly and left over night to set well

Once set I cut the connecting shafts in half trying my best to cut at right angles. I first tried a lug and grove I use 1mm brass rod bent  to 90 degrees and cut to size and fitted to the gun half, the ship half i cut a grove. This works bit is a bit sloppy. On the next one I tried a prong and hole method, I drilled 2 1mm holes in the gun half and fitted 1mm brass rods and cut back to the same Length a dab of paint and carefully offered up the ship half and using the paint spots drill 2 1.25mm holes the slight oversizing to prevent to tighter fit. this method worked very well.

Next i fitted the pivot arms dryly and the control rod the guns and operated the linkage and the guns all moved well accept the the rear 2 turrets pointed the opposite way to rest so I reversed the pivot arms cut the control rod and temporally linked with a bit of wire move the run again this time all guns point to the same side much happier i glued the pivot arms and control rods and ensure still all free to move.

I next fitted a servo mounting it using  E bracing strut and spruce brace i added and fitted the deck on held in place with tape. Using 1mm steel piano wire and brass rod made linkages to each control rod and tested it. worked a treat i get 45 degree arc on all 5 guns and the director

I'm chuffed to bits with it. my first attempt at working parts worked  :}  My Mrs thinks I've turned back into a kid

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:59 am »

Yes Glen, really great work there I would be chuft with it also. No wonder you spent the whole weekend on it and I hope you left some of that
Home brew I think you advertise in your pictures and left some for your wife there haha.

I think though that model had rods etc and the turrets did turn beit only via the small electric motors so you have done well with your various mounts and servo placements mate.

I think I will try that servo idea I have.

I have 3 or 4 little minis from Hobbyking and I will see if I can mount the bottom of the Gun Turret to the top of a servo mounted underneath the turret. It will be a starting point anyhow.

I found believe it or not ,one of the people I speak to about various RC thingies sells the Graupner smoke units in the small voltage and larger.
I think he said 12V or 7.2 anyhow they are different sizes and he wants 65.00 for em. I guess after paying over there plus postage I will buy that part here.

Nothing heard yet re my emaails on the prop shafts etc for Nimitz so will just keep waiting and work on Bismarck for a while today.

I obtained a lot of good photos for colour schemes that I can copy if need be and locations of various bits and Pieces.

Ok Glen be good

Charles :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 08:55:19 am »

Thanks charles. Yes with the cost of pint in the pub over here these days I built my own pub  :} It never runs dry  %%

If your mounting a servo for each turret it may pay to see if the angle of travel can be increased I did consider this method but wieght restrictings meant it wasn't practical on my model.

The gruapner smoke units cost me £14.99 each here which converts to $22.77 might be a lot cheaper for you purchase them here and have them sent over

I'm currently research props and shafts for my next convertion Aifix HMS Illustrious

Good Luck with bismark get your camera out and lets see how you get on.

Had a fews off modelling will be starting on the detailing next watch this space

Glen

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:18 pm »

<:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:18 pm »

Well I am watching the space Glen - but now you have me wondering where this perfect pub is :D
Nice job you are doing too.

Dave

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 10:57:48 pm »

sorry about the  <:(  i recently lost my one in a tragic misunderstanding accident  <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49:53 pm »

Glen,

Very interesting thread. Don't know if you knew this, but there is an entire Yahoo Group devoted to converting the Blue Devil kit to RC. You're pretty far along, but you might enjoy looking at the various builds in the photo gallery, and asking questions of the modelers there who have completed their projects. The group also has expanded to include conversions of other plastic  kits. One of the biggest problems people have had with the Blue Devil is in sealing the deck, as it tends to be slightly warped, and there are suggestions and solutions for it.

The group is here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lindyfletcher/

Rob
“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »

Rob,

Thanks for the link,  :-)) :-)) :-)) also into one of these, O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:50 pm »

Shots from the USS Kidd doors!

They had a few doors with hand wheels and the rest with "dogs"

It looks like a mixture of both types of doors, I stand corrected. They're probably not all of one type on any one Fletcher but we'd probably never be able to find out. But you'd not see both "dogs" and "wheels" together on the same door.

As far as the idea that fixing the front 4-porthole bulkhead as being too difficult; I was not suggesting filling the kit piece and re-drilling. I meant to utilize an appropriately sized piece of sheet styrene to replace the kit piece and drill 5 portholes in it. Now that you have already assembled the bridge, I guess the point is irrelevant as you'd have to break the bridge apart to fix it.
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

What kind of props are you using? They look very authentic with the correct (more or less) blade shape and the typical tapered hub of a warship.

What's the size and manufacturer?
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 10:20:12 am »

Hi guys sorry been a bit busy over the last week not had much time to do anything and the dreaded school holidays are here.

Thats not no good kraftykid

Its in my conservatory norseman :}

Thanks for the link rob i had a good read through very interesting

The props cane from the prop shop harquebus they are world war 2 pattern props http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?id=42&section=store&sub_section=products&product_type=42 I emailed them and ask them to recommend props they are very helpful

Well over the past week and a bit a little progress has been made I have fitted all the running gear and checked access through the existing holes in the deck my biggest worry was battery fitting and removal for charging. With control run for guns its tight but just fits. You'll notice I have fitted a speaker this is for the model sounds sfx7 sound module I intend to fit as soon as i saved enough pennies to order it very soon i hope. I have also wire the 2 smoke generators in parallel with motors to give proportional smoke for speed.

Also I have start making the some of brass details at mo only the floation baskets I made a former from some spare brass tube rolled the main section around it folded the ended in and super glued it and my fingers to the first one  :embarrassed: and after i unstuck myself made the other 5 without a hitch.

Next phase will be to fit the deck and remove the stanchion raised holes and fill any hole that wont be used.

Any questions guys feel free to ask

Glen

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:04 am »

Looking good there Glen a wee bit per day keeps King Neptune at Bay eh???

Charles

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:23 pm »

I still have a few minor details to finish with my current build. Then another boat to be starting soon – but you sure have me looking forward to again one day opening the box on my old Blue Devil. Started mine SEVERAL years ago and fell into the trap of trying to fix the problems and got bogged down. It’s been in the box ever since. Next time I’ll take your approach and keep it fun! Keep up the good work :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 06:58:53 am »

Hey Glen sorry I just couldnt resist I hope it is the correct model. It is in the box which is still sealed and was stuck away in a cupboard for a few years.

I am in no hurry to build this as a lot on the go as you know but it will be good to have and guess what I know where to come to get all the help I need.
I think Raaartygunner said he had one also.
So I havent got it as yet will no tomorrow still working a deal but I.m pretty sure something will be worked out.

Charles O0

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »

I've also managed to get hold of a Kit.....at last!...

Regards

Alan

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »

I've been trying to get hold of 1 of these but keep getting out bid! I've got the Revell fletcher in 1/144 but it's just too small for me the slightly bigger scale lindberg kit would be much better!

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »

It looks like i have started a bit of a revival for this kit.

Thats the hard bit Rmay knowing where to draw the line and when it ceases to be fun and becomes a chore you've gone wrong somewhere

:-)) Charles you have deff been bitten hard by the bug

enjoy Alan I'm having a ball

Thats a shame biker I got mine at a model show its amazing what you can find with the dealers that sell at these shows

Any how I have managed to spend a few hours in workshop this week I really wanted to get the deck fitted and filled so I could start painting the hull this weekend.

I fitted the deck bu gradually fitting and dribbling liquid poly into the joint carefully working my way around. Then wait for the glue to set then adding more layers of glue until i achieved a good plastic weld around the entire deck. after removing the raised stanchion supports i applied a large of filler around the joint area and left to set for 24 hours before the first sand. once sanded a second layer of filler to fill and missed spots and left a further 24 hours before sanding again.

Some of you may of notice in the previous set of photos I had removed the gun splinter shielding, gun tub support and the thingy that ran along the side after the wheelhouse section. 2 reasons, the first that there would be a 2mm gap to the side of ship and second made it easier to fit the deck. After the deck was fitted and sanded these were fitted back in position this time flush with the ships side. for the thingy (if anyone can tell me whats called I'd be grateful) I cut a 1mm square piece of plastic cut into 5mm lengths and glued to the thingy's base to raise to correct height.

I got bored while waiting for the filler to set and just for the hell of it corrected the error thats been niggling harquebus for sometime  ;D. I carefully removed the wheel house front section and with a razor saw cut the offending 4 port hole off just above the pipe. I then cut a piece of 1mm plastic card to size. I just happened to have a 4mm brass tube thats exactly the same size as the original moulding and carefully cut and filed 2.5mm lengths. I marked the 5 port hole positions a drilled out to 4mm and fitted the brass rings. These where fixed in place using runny super glue. once set I fitted the new section and once the glue had set filed to size and angle before refitting to super structure. I think this was well worth the effort and not hard to do even easier if you do it before making this section of the wheelhouse

next stage tomorrow working on the forecastle detail

Glen

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 06:24:02 am »

What Bug Glen? Do you realise that monies spent on this Kit has eaten into my much luved Glen Fiddich Kitty. Geez I might even have to be prime sober when building this one.

Another nice bit of work there Glen it's really starting to look the part. You must know a lot of History re this Ship or have you bought books on Her to complete the amazing Scale Work. If so could you advise book to purchase and It might be available here in Australia also, It would be a great read also.

Your work is Just a delight to read. I am also going to help Bikerdud out here if he really wants a model of this kit. But not until tomorrow when I get the correct information for him so I hope he is signed in when we send messages to this forum. NO CHARGE BIKER haha you will need the monies to buy the kit.

Have been researching also on the Nimitz and have a lot of details on her but I can discuss that in the correct location.

Okay my friend keep going, god bless and look forward to your next. What are we going to do next by the way haha, I should'nt say much I have a few coming and hopefully that new Trumpeter Bismarck is in the winds blowing ever so gently I must add.

Charles :D

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »

I was incredibly disappointed yesterday, I wouldve bet money it was a 1/200 hms hood trumpeter were releasing, but after scouring google I came back on here and found the thread, only to realise it was Bismarck :( still need to convince my gf the 1/200 Arizona is a good addition to the fleet lol I am going away for a couple of nights, but I'm never far from a wifi hotspot so can still check messages...

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26:19 am »

Okay Biker Dude no problems I will work on your Lindberg today and see what I can come up with.
Spoke with one of my chinese sources last night and they contacted Trumpeter direct for me. The 1/200 Bismarck is due for release in November and they can secure me one for 250.00 plus 20.00 Postage so time to save for her. Last price I looked at they wanted order for 299.00 so its still 49.00 saving so I am glad I have held off.
Will contact you on the Nimitz forum later on as I want to leave this as Glens baby.
Cheers
Charles

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, 02:33:31 am »

Righto Glen deal worked out aok so I now am expecting the Blue Devil to add to my fleet. I got away with a good deal I think. With ship paid for and postage from the US total worked out at just over 100.00 Aussie, so I am happy with that.
Biker dude if you got to Ebay US Military Kits Sea, I believe there are 3 Blue Devils being shown at this time. I think 2 are buy now prices and 1 is a bid.
Ok some great deals there.
Cheers

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

lol amour theres much better single malts than glen fiddich  O0. Part of the pleasure of modelling for me is the researching the subject  I love to find out as much as I can.

Good luck with your girlfriend biker  :-))

Well guys had an interesting weekend working on her and learnt a new skill.

As most of you are aware the forecastle ares of this kit is completely wrong and does need sorting out. First thing I did was scan the drawing of the forecastle into my PC and using photoshop scaled it to 1/125 and printed 2 copies

I cut out one to use as a overlay

I Have also rescent bought some john Haynes fitting at 1/96 scale which is over scale but on small items i might be able to get away with. However the hawser plates are a bit to big but the oddly the chain guide are the exact right size. I used the second print at a template to make 2 new hawser guides

Now with a mind look at a future build to go along with this ship (Casablanca class escort carrier) a lot of the fittings are common so I decided to make a mould to manufacture the common parts in the future. Using the smallest amount of super glue possible i glue the fitting to a piece of plasticard and made box which I then filled with silicon rubber to make a mould and set aside

While I wait for the rubber to cure I started works on the anchor hawser tubes. The original kit supplies 1 massively oversized anchor as far I can seen all Fletcher's have 2 anchors. So using my overlay i marked out the correct positions for both anchors and pilot drill the holes. now these have to line up perfectly with deck hole and the holes have be at the correct angle. I achieved this by drilling progressively larger holes adjusting the angle as i went and on the final 4mm hole the brass tube fitted perfectly.

The brass tube was then cut and filed to size angles and fitted in place with super glues ensuring all gaps are filled.

On sunday morning the rubber had cured and couldn't  help myself I had to test it and mixed up the rest and had trail cast. It took 2 attempts but i got it right chuffed to bits  :D

The forecastle area is now manufactured nothing is fixed yet.

Next stage prepping hull for paint and building all the details

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

Ha ha ha ha...! I laughed out loud reading what you had done.  {-)  I'm a bit embarrassed and gratified at the same time. The pilot house looks so much better doesn't it? I think the heart of the matter is that you are making this Blue Devil destroyer your own, like adding your unique signature to it. You'll never correct all the inaccuracies (unless insanity is your goal) but so far the steps you are taking are above and beyond what I think many would bother with. Most are content with leaving it as-is.

I really like what you have done with the forecastle, anchor windlass and "anchor chain ports". Fine work.
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:40 pm »

I've been trying to get hold of 1 of these but keep getting out bid! I've got the Revell fletcher in 1/144 but it's just too small for me the slightly bigger scale lindberg kit would be much better!

I've seen the Revell Fletcher kit converted to R/C so don't let its slightly smaller scale frighten you off. I say build it to survive a scaled-down Pacific typhoon, fill the voids in the hull with styrofoam and head into harm's way. I think there are conversion kits available to fashion it into a later square bridge Fletcher (which I prefer) just like the Blue Devil.
~Harq

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:45 am »

Righto Glen deal worked out aok so I now am expecting the Blue Devil to add to my fleet. I got away with a good deal I think. With ship paid for and postage from the US total worked out at just over 100.00 Aussie, so I am happy with that.
Biker dude if you got to Ebay US Military Kits Sea, I believe there are 3 Blue Devils being shown at this time. I think 2 are buy now prices and 1 is a bid.
Ok some great deals there.
Cheers

Thanks, I had a look and there's quite a few on there now, but after having 2 new tyres on the car I'll have to wait til next month now. Will keep reading this thread though, very interesting to see the improvements you're making.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.