Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175574 times)

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2012, 02:46:00 pm »

Hey BikerDude not my ship Glen Davis has the Helm its all his work matey and a great job too. I will be posting soon on the US Nimitz so follow up on that also if you like. No I wish I was as good as Glen mate but practice will make perfect tks.
Charles

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »

Hi guys

Been nearly a week since i last posted progress has been slow but worth the efforts.

:-)) Harquebus I agree was worth the effort in the end and has massively improved the visual look of her. Insanity can never be my goal I got there years ago. I do think your right with the revel fletcher no problem. If it was me I'd go for a single screw and rudder. plenty of space to squeeze everything in I'd even consider lipo battery pack due to size and weight.

Keep the faith biker all good things come to those who wait they say.

<*< thanks Charles I no master modeller just guy that loves to build models and your right practice does make perfect, But I'd also say taking your time and lots of patients are the biggest factors.

Well guys over the last week I have been work hard on the brass details. All the 20mm and 40mm have been converted at first i thought the oerlikons were to tall but after surfer 100's of pics of Fletcher's it was obvious these guns are tall. I made the depth charge rails and K gun reload racks but they lacked depth charges so either use the kit ones or make new ones. after a rumage through my odds box I found a length of 4mm brass tube and 3.2 plastic rod that fitted snuggly into the tube. I cut the tube to the same width as the internal width of the rack smoothed everything up and cut the rod to 1/2mm small than the tube width and fixed slightly recesses either end. I made 5 glued them to a strip of plastic and made a silicon mould and reproduced 40 depth charges a few spare to account for bad casts. I glue 9 to strips of 0.25 mm plastic cut to the rack width and carefully glued 3 per K gun reloader and sliding the brass shelfs in. The radars are made as per the brass instruction sheet and directly replace the clunky plastic ones. Also the yard fittings replaced the plastic ones I had make 1 aerial from 0.5mm brass wire. I have finished the funnels by fitting the the steam pipes and making the supports for the HF antennae I also made a ensign staff thats mounted on the rear funnel. Everything Is coming together slowly just a few more details to finish then its painting and the home straight.

Lots of pics this week enjoy guys feel free ask questions

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 08:10:13 pm »

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:59 pm »

Hope you all like and find this helpful with your models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »

Biker,
If you go to MMB Website and Gallery you will see "Dodes's" conversion of the Revel Fletcher to twin screw.

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »

looking good  :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 11:29:46 pm »

Hi Glen,

Are you in UK.

Can you give more details about the "brass, instruction sheet, etc" is it a aftermarket 'fret'

:-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:38 am »

Geez Mate that is really terrific work, Do not I repeat Do not expect my ship when she arrives to look  like that hahaha, what do you reckon Raaartygunner,
Your in Brisbane going to do your ship as well as this one Hmmm.
You should start a Melvin shipyard Glen and start selling all these parts to us poor buggers who in no way could do something like that, only joking mate I know it will be a Oncer.
No worries, looking great its a shame to paint over all that nice brass work,  WAIT I know what, buy another keep it as your sailer and keep this one for display and unpainted what about that haha.
Ok be good
 :-))

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 11:05:56 am »

This is impressive work and a fine photo essay showing how the photo etch (PE) set really looks. Believe me, I have scoured the net for any and all builds of this age-old kit and have found nothing showing how the assembled PE is supposed to look and before paint is added as well. I have the kit and Tom's Modelworks PE set set aside for a later build and can only participate vicariously through your efforts. I thank you for the superb photography and the service you are providing to those of us who have not yet taken the plunge. Do you recall the size of the Prop Shop props you used?

raaartygunner: If I may be so bold, the PE fret is indeed aftermarket. ---> Tom's Modelworks #125-01 Fletcher Destroyer:

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_39&products_id=166

HR Products also manufactures a set of 20 and 40mm AA guns for this kit in cast metal. Others have used them with good results but I think I will utilize the "clunky" kit parts.

http://www.hrprod.com/125.html  I have the single Oerlikons and twin Bofors but like I said I prefer to work in plastic and will not use them.
~Harq

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:54 am »

Harquebus,

Many thanks for the link for the PE fret.

Certainly makes a difference and well worth getting.

Think will go the way you are, namely, using the "clunky" bits also.

O0 O0 :-)) :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »

That 1/144 fletcher looks good shipmate but still think single screw will give better handling with the single rudder.

many thanks strombringer

Raaty I'm in england I got the etched brass set from the link Harquebus posted took nearly 2 months to get here from states think they set by ship rather than airmail. Some sections of the instruction sheet are a bit vague and I've only just worked out were a part for the bofors goes will post pics with my next build update.

Thanks Charles Theres no chance of building another ones enough >>:-(. However anyone building that wants a set of my scratch built fitting only has to ask and I'm sure some arrangement can be made.

Thanks a lot Harquebus Its nice to know others are finding my efforts are of use. The props from the prop shop are WW2/1011/3/LH/BR and WW2/1011/3/RH/BR. Is there any photos of the 20mm and 40mm guns from hrprod I'd like to see as might be handy for my next model.

No pics today guys as thought I'd respond to questions. I have added to the bit to the 40mm guns the instruction do tell you where they go. Ive built the whalers and modified the carly floats and taken a mould.

will post pics soon have fun guys

PS Charles lets see some picks of Nimitz <*<

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 10:18:51 pm »

Thanks Guys...The build will prove most useful when I get around to building mine.

Work on the Enterprise is progressing and the twin additional keels, for stability,  seems to work well....Time will tell. I will provide details following maiden voyage...assumming all is OK!!!!.

Keep up the great work and photo's....

Regards

Alan

PS what paint schemes are you going to use?.....I thought of a USS Melvin type of camouflage paint scheme that it wore during part of it's life cycle.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 02:35:57 am »

I provided a direct link to the PE set (even though glendavis noted it on the first page) just to indicate what it looks like and the asking price. Perhaps another vendor carries Tom's PE and is located in the UK or wherever anyone else watching this thread lives? I would research that before committing to ordering the set from the USA, thinking it's the only option and being stuck with a long wait for arrival.

BigGun Rob posted the Yahoo Group "lindyfletcher" as a great source of info, also on the first page, and that is where you can find pictures of the 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors sets. I think they are cast in white metal and are located in the Photos section in a folder titled "HR Products". The twin 20's are not shown but I surmise they are nearly identical. I intended on making my Blue Devil into a mid-war variant, before they received (I think) twin 20's and quad 40's to counter the growing kamikaze threat. The mount for the 20mm's is also the earlier solid "conical" shaped mount and not the later tripod style mount. The metal is perhaps too soft for the thin barrels of the Oerlikons (especially if the model is to be handled) so I also intended to replace them with hypodermic needle pieces. The adjusting wheel on the side of the 20mm mount is molded solid so I ordered some N gauge model RR brake wheels to replace those and just about every other hatch closure and wheel valve on the vessel. I have great ideas but no execution... %)

The 40mm Bofors? Decent also but not perfect. Perhaps both of these detail sets can be further imrpoved with PE, sort of combining the two but in all honesty the HR Products AA guns are on the crude side.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lindyfletcher/photos/album/401911586/pic/list

I am also a member of the group and was quite astonished to find such a group dedicated to this model and to RC plastic model conversion.

One more thing: Glendavis, have you considered adding bilge keels? Seeing the USS Kidd high and dry at low tide and with the bilge keels in all their glory makes them difficult to ignore... a prominent feature of the hull.
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 07:24:22 am »

Am I enjoying all these links and info re the build. I am awaiting mine from the states and as I said before I know where to come to creat a great model.
thanks everyone. Re the Nimitz yes I am working on it. I am just awaiting this camera card which i had to order from the UK to fit this camera of mine, and pictures on her will be forthcoming. Please do not be too critical as this will be my first attempt at a scale model. Oh I did do a few Airfix Aircraft when I was a kid like everyone else but that was that. So I will post pikkies as soon as the card arrives and Alan T hope you can give advice re flotation.
But will talk about that in the correct place.
Thanks all for the info. I have posted on the Sovremenny also if anyone wants to take a look if they have one.
Charles

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:22 am »

Hi Guys

I hope so Alan. Theres only once choice to paint Melvin Measure 21 as she spent the entire war in this scheme of all over navy blue

Thanks Harquebus I had a look at those parts they look OK to me. Yes I intend the fit bilge keels as they will aid stability on the water.  I spent hours looking for UK dealer but sadly there is none.

Will look forward to seeing your efforts Charles

Today I finished the brass work. You'll notice the gunsights on the bofors now have shrouds fitted. Took me age to work out where those part went like said before the instructions are very vague in parts. The Carly floats are simply remove the bottom and replace, I also made a mould for the next model. The forward float racks have to be fixed to the forward superstructure and while i tend avoid soldering where possible as its not my strong point it seem the only way to strongly fix 0.5 brass wire to act as a strengthener and fixing for rack. the rear rack is I used the wire as a peg to in place. Once I had bent the ladder I soldered more 0.5 brass to strengthen and fix the stairs in place.

I have also started prepare the fitting and fitting temporally in place note the white metal torpedo director and Mk51 gun directors these are 1/96 scale at the moment still a little high but at 5mm width they will be slightly overscale. I will be reducing the height where necessary.

Only a few more fitting to clean up and bilge keels to make and its ready to paint.

sneaking up on finishing this model soon

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:25 am »

Looks terrific Glen, boyo your eyes must be in great shape to do all this brass work re soldering etc Nah Im afraid I would not have a clue how to do all that gear. I had better look for the Manufactured after market stuff me thinks haha
Great Pikkies too.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:33 am »

Here you are all doing or watching the work being done by Glen.
A bit of Nostalgia, watch the video some good shots and does'nt go for too long.
http://youtu.be/Kns22_ujPAc
Enjoy
Charles %%

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 06:14:06 am »

Glen,

Have now taken the first step, ventured into the "vault" and found my Lindberg kit.  :-)) :-))

After dusting off the cobwebs, checked contents.

Next step......................can't rush it  O0 O0

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 08:06:34 am »

Looks terrific Glen, boyo your eyes must be in great shape to do all this brass work re soldering etc Nah Im afraid I would not have a clue how to do all that gear. I had better look for the Manufactured after market stuff me thinks haha
Great Pikkies too.

Well, it is 1/125 scale so it's comparatively larger than other more common scales such as 1/350 or even 1/200. It should be easy to work on. Soldering and reinforcing these PE pieces is a great idea whereas I thought that CA was the (only) way to go. Think how much stronger they will be with solder.

Measure 21 is an interesting ship camo scheme but it actually comprises two colors: Navy Blue 5-N and Deck Blue 20-B. So it is not as monotonous as it sounds.
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measure_21.htm

Incidentally, when I obtained this kit I was also made aware that Lindberg made several other kits in the same scale so I bought them as companion pieces: Lindberg Minesweeper and Lindberg LCT (marketed as an LSU, Landing Ship Utility). I have seen both converted to R/C; the minesweeper with ease (larger in size) and the LCT requiring more skill.
The thing that these two latter kits offer that the Blue Devil does not is...crew members. Not sure of the exact numbers but roughly 5-8 or less for each kit. More like a skeleton crew to be precise. Among the many considerations I was having was, can they be cloned? I wanted to make molds of them and cast copies in resin. Anyone ever delve into such an undertaking?

Thanks.
~Harq

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2012, 09:48:25 am »

The thing that these two latter kits offer that the Blue Devil does not is...crew members. Not sure of the exact numbers but roughly 5-8 or less for each kit. More like a skeleton crew to be precise. Among the many considerations I was having was, can they be cloned? I wanted to make molds of them and cast copies in resin. Anyone ever delve into such an undertaking?

My "Past Life" hobby was model slot cars, and resin casting is an important part of the hobby.

This link will show how to cast 1/32nd scale figures, but the same principals apply to your smaller little fellows.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15288

I hope this link works, it is from a Forum similar to this one, of which I am a member....If it doesn't work for you I may be able to copy the info for you.

Regards

Alan

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:25 pm »

Good article.

I use Lego to make the mould boxes, They don't need as much re-inforcement and when you're done with them you just break them up.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »

Thanks for the link; it works and I scanned it over. Hopefully resin will work just as well as plaster. I think these Lindberg destroyers often look wrong without a crew. Many of the examples found on the net are "ghost ships"  {:-{.

Here's an example of someone who may have gone overboard into "scale insanity" with this kit. I was searching high and low for it with the usual search terms but was unsuccessful until I queried "DD-555 Haggard". This is just for the betterment of the the group here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=98554
Great reference photos in the build thread.

That also reminds me that there's a "USS Mertz" by Bill Dunn that is a near-masterpiece but it is also not an operating model so there's that. He probably has significant topside weight anyway with all the add-ons and the hull is aftermarket so he cheated. I think what he accomplished sort of sapped my will for awhile because I had grandiose plans for my kit (which still lies dormant by the way). http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dd/dd-691/125-bd/bd-index.html
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »

Well guys I've had my orders from Mrs D no more work on Melvin for a week while the kids are away  :}

Loved that vid charles I have the enemy below in my dvd library have made a sound clip  that i will hopefully have uploaded when i get the sound unit.

Yes Harquebus it does make it a lot stronger than ca but does take a bit more effort as not easy holding everything place while you solder. Yes you right about the decks being a different colour after a lot of research I found humbrol 104 for the verticals and 67 for the horizontals. Your also right i think all model ships need a crew that brings it all to life. Rather than casting I'd use n gauge figures easy to modify and paint I used railway station figures from preiser on HMS opal just cut peaks of the hats for the junior ranks. Those links are very interesting although I'd be worried and water ingress with no comings

Thanks for that link Alan very useful indeed

thanks Steve I tried Lego but kids kept catching me stealling it from there rooms

Have fun guys I'll be back in a week

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:50 am »

I remember the Lindberg Minesweeper, I blew one up at Canoe Lake in 1985 :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:59 am »

Hey Harquebus I had a look at that link and hey Glen I like the opening address haha JUST INSPIRES YOU TO PRESS ON REGARDLESS.
Have a read of this haha Only first few lines though.

Hi Everyone,
This is my first Fletcher build DD-555. It's based on probably the worst Fletcher kit known to man the 1/125th scale Lindberg Blue Devil.
I'm doing a lot of scratch work to correct many of the kit's flaws. I,m using Toms PE, HR Porducts guns, Props by Gordon Briggs, and Lifecolor Paints. The kit will also be converted to RC.

Well here's where I'm at as of 3/4/12.

There you are good stuff and I am waiting for delivery of mine haha, I might shift to the Escort Destroyers for Nimitz after that rermark haha
 %%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.