Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175564 times)

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23:55 am »

Sorry to butt in..... :-)....but I used 5 bladed brass 20mm M2 props on my Enterprise.....Works fine if you want scale type performance, so I guess they would be ok on this boat...I'll have alook at my unstarted kit to see if you could get away with a bigger prop.

Alan

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:16 am »

Propshop are really nice people  O0
Send them an email or call them and they will hep you out.
Just have all the relevant information to hand first.

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »

Thank you Harquebus that's what I need and thank you steve for your 2mm info.
I,m afraid Harquebus my Lindberg is meant to be single rudder.
I guess plastic just isnt meant to be moved a lot is it, and my shaft on the rudders broke off.
So Single rudder it is, water flow or not cant be helped at this time.
I will keep old rudders and work out a way to insert pins into them for future use.
By the way Harquebus you are a man of knowledge. Do you think the 5 blade props from the Nimitz kit would work in the water or are they normally just for show. Reason I ask quickly is they fit nicely onto the new shafts so at least I know the sizing of props if i can get em.

Charles,
Are you able to replace the rudder/s with new ones having metal shafts, alternatively rejoin the broken shaft and sleeve the shaft with metal or plastic tubing.

Also, the rudder shaft can also be extended if needed.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2012, 01:23:42 pm »

Thanks Alan, yes I have been looking at the M2 sizes and have been sent prop specs from Harquebus which should fit the bill on this build.

Raartygunner yeah matey I am not goin to chuck em . I need them for the Nimitz so I will think of a way to get em up and running. It all happened today while I was working on the 2 ships Nimitz and Blue Devil, so i just cursed and havent really had a good look at the damage. I do know I will have to reshaft em and I still have the broken shafts on hand also, so will work out something.

Anyhow I must get into Nimitz before I get to involved with this model as I still have a lot to order mechanically for her which is the prority to get her up and running now. I will check with Cornwall hobbies for Tubes to fit the mini prop shafts I guess you would call them. I have stuffing tubes already installed but would like longer ones for the 4 motors. So will get size from them.
Ta Charles %%

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2012, 02:48:28 pm »

Hello Shipmates I keep forgetting but never mind, Can someone tell me re this 4 porthole mod to 5 portholes on the Fletcher. What size plastic sheeting I should order for the job and what size is the holes, smaller than what is on the ship or same size just closer together. I have cut away the bridge as shown and need to order the sheet to rebuild her back up to correct specs again. Also brass port holes, do you have to buy the upgrade kit or is their someone who sells port holes haha silly question is it???
I see Cornwall models sells the sheeting there but just need the correct thickness to order.
thanks again
Charles :embarrassed:

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »

Hi charles

have a look at page 1 again i give the exact sizes i used for port holes

Glen

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2012, 04:24:41 am »

Ok Glen thanks, got it.
 :-))

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

Thought you might like to take a quick look at this. It is a video of the USS Burns, a Fletcher class destroyer sunk off the coast of the US and found by a diving team. They think it was probably used as target practice in the 60's or 70's. They did not know the identity of the ship on their first dive but have since found out further information on who she was.
http://youtu.be/OLhLqURUnsg
Did some more work on my model today, not going to be the Fletcher in the picture or kit I can tell you that. Lots of changes are being made and funny part I do not know the identity of the ship I am building either. I will find out one day.
 O0

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »

Armo61, et al,

For the pilot house front bulkhead, I used styrene sheet that is slightly thinner than the other 3 walls provided by Lindberg. These vessels are "tin cans" so I was trying to depict scale thickness (more or less) in that area, especially where one can see the thickness of that wall through the portholes.

If you wanted to keep the twin rudder setup, and the plastic kit parts can be brittle, why not try fabricating new ones like raaartygunner mentioned? I have used brass sheet, rod and tubing to make rudders along with a tiller arm just for such a conversion. I used 1/8" brass rod, slotted with a Dremel cut-off wheel and a suitable brass rudder soldered into the slot and this rides in a rudder tube whose inside diameter matches the rudder post's outside diameter; a "telescoping" fit. Used grease to seal it up a bit but made sure the end of the rudder tube inside the hull was above the waterline.

Aside from that, almost every person who has made the RC conversion of this destroyer complains that it is too topheavy, dangerously unstable, that it rolls in turns or heavy "seas" and can ship water over the bow, etc. The real Fletchers performed the same way and the latest complaint here is that with a single rudder the turns will be too wide or not as agile. Well guess what, the real Fletchers purportedly had the same problem and I have heard that the Iowa class battleships could outhandle much smaller naval vessels of the era.  <*< >>:-( ok2 I think an Iowa class may have turned inside of a destroyer, possibly a Fletcher, to the amazement of everyone...

I think scale authenticity is a neat thing. Anyway, the single rudder of the Fletcher class has a fairly large area and it is almost what I would call a balanced rudder; one that is affixed more or less to the centerline of the rudder shaft. When turned, a large portion of the rudder is in contact with the propwash of whichever prop is on the inside of the turn, so at least the thrust of the engine is working on part of the rudder. Here's pic: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/naval-warfare/23102d1291926005-destroyers-fletcher-class-screws_dsc00558.jpg
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2012, 02:06:16 am »

Thanks for info Harquebus,
I have the two Rudders in front of me and I do not think it should be very hard to restore these at hand. I think I would get away with very carefully drilling or sending a hot needle down as a guide into the rudder as a marker to hold a shaft.
I have a fairly large rudder on her now so perhaps I will just leave it at that. I have some pictures of model 662 which I am modelling after except for between the funnels where i have added another platform and removed the platform from the rear funnel

This the Ship I first looked at and liked the idea of more room in the centre. I have had to move the rear funnel back and cut the torpedo tubes down a wee bit as per the phot. But I believe it is still to scale.

I have done the Funnel Modifications and am working on the centre portion using the platform from the rear stck and shaping it up for the square sides to go below it.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2012, 03:19:59 pm »

Decided to do some Fletcher work today and give Nimitz a break.
So after a bit of chopping, filing and other work like trying to emulate canvas where canvas is supposed to be I have phots Harquebus as proof haha
Here they are. today's butchery. The canvas work is obviously not finished very finicky work that and will look 100 percent when paint goes on.
The small deck in between the funnels still has to have a body made for it which will be just under the Front Searchlights on the funnel.

Okay thats it for now shipmates enjoy your modelling.
Charles

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »

Armo61,the propshafts in the Sovremenny are actually M3,unfortunately if you're going for 3-bladed brass props,there are only two in that size that I could find.(Raboesh 20mm & 25mm)
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:50 pm »

charles have glued the deck to the hull or is it the deck the removeable?

If i was you that blue net stuff i'd bin it and use the railings from the toms brass etch kit and use paper to replicate the canvas. If you still have the splinter shields yo have removed from around the bofors I'd try and glue back as these weren't canvas but steel to protect the gun crews.

have answered your mail.

not much to report on my model have being bust with family stuff

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2012, 02:09:15 am »

OK GLen,
will do as you say mate, will have to get that upgrade also. Received your message many thanks for reply,will contact you soon.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »

Must concur. If it is a gun director or a searchlight, it will have either bare railings or canvas spray shields laced to them. Guns are in "tubs". Interesting note about the 40mm tubs; the interiors had brackets for holding the ammunition clips.

~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:02 pm »

I hope you don't think i will replicate that lot harquebus  <*<

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »

OKAY, All removed and cleaned up. What a job plenty of filing.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2012, 12:39:54 am »

I hope you don't think i will replicate that lot harquebus  <*<

The detail on that 40mm alone would drive you to drink, or stop drinking as the case may be... I think some internal ribbing added to the interior of the tubs may suffice.

Any thoughts as to replicating the Sonar Dome on the lower hull? Seen here lower right on Cassin Young in dry dock:
~Harq

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:10 am »

Looks good,
I see she also has like stabilers on the side of the Hull?
I like that idea, perhaps stop some of the roll at sea. It's food for thought.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2012, 01:45:53 am »

Looks good,
I see she also has like stabilers on the side of the Hull?
I like that idea, perhaps stop some of the roll at sea. It's food for thought.

The Revell kit has the keels moulded into the hull. Took mine for a quick test on Sunday and it was quite windy and rough on the water at times but it remained very stable, and surprisingly not a drop of water inside. Did have major issues with the ESC randomly deciding to go full speed astern though.....

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:47 am »

I was wondering how you were going the other day, sounds great, Congrats on getting her launched.
See and here was you worrying about size and everything. Just shows you does'nt it?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2012, 09:18:57 am »

Did have major issues with the ESC randomly deciding to go full speed astern though.....
There's currently a thread in the Black Arts section discussing this very subject.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:11 pm »

Hey Harquebus and Raartygunner, thanks for advice on rudders.
Today I have managed to fix both of them so now it is just a matter of refitting them.
I will wait until the weekend then I can go to the Hardware and get some glues and body filler to start a permanent fixture and start to tidy up the superstructure.
It's a shame not having the ability to send pictures but this is brand new and hopefully I can work something out. I does have a camera installed.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

Any thoughts as to replicating the Sonar Dome on the lower hull? Seen here lower right on Cassin Young in dry dock:

I assume its not that big on a model of this size, and does not appear to be midships, but possibly casting it in lead to aid the models stability may be an idea?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2012, 01:00:33 am »

There's currently a thread in the Black Arts section discussing this very subject.

I had a look in the black arts section but couldn't see it? Do you have a link? Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.