Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175576 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »

Guys...I am pretty sure I read that the gun mounts on the Fletcher class were 5"/35 caliber ...this means the actual physical length of the barrel is 35 times that of the bore  ;D

So 5" x 35 = 175" or 14.58' ...but remember this dimension is from the breech block to the end of the barrel & these may well have had say ~~ 3 1/2' of barrel length inside the gun house  :-)) ......Derek

BTW ..... I think the green baggy looks OK [but they may need to weather in the weather a bit]...............& no I am not talking about our OZ cricket team.... {-) {-) {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

It is clearer in this photo that the barrels look long, even with the blast bags or canvas "boots" in place. They are almost as long as, if not as long as, the gun house front to back. Touché.  ;)

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0553742.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0555816.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0556903.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/pix2/0567427.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0568407.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0568442.jpg

The barrels appear, to my good eye, to be noticeably more slender than the kit barrels... But I must agree, it all boils down to personal preference.
Go your own way. On the kit however, I did move the gun itself as far as it will go forwards inside the gun house until it abuts against the forward wall. Drilled new holes for it on the floor as well.

derekwarner: My sources say the gun nomenclature is 5"/38 caliber. Says the mount in its entirety is a Mk 30.

-Harq

It is clear in this photo of a 'Fletcher' that the barrells look short.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rocn/heng-yang.htm
~Harq

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2012, 02:37:58 am »

{-) ...that second image Harquebus :-)).......is a great reason to have a sturdy baggy especially on the 51 & 52 mounts...... O0

The gun house of these class of vessels would have had a huge amount of electro mechanical components & having a GREEN or BLUE south Pacific wall of water entering around the barrel would not be appreciated...... <*<

If these Fletcher class mounts were modernised at some stage to MK30 or 38 caliber  ....this would take the barrel length to 15.83' .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2012, 01:48:48 pm »

its interesting this debate about barrel lengths buy my calculations the barrel should protrude no more than 2 guys one stood on the others shoulders the 5"/38 is in fact a multi purpose relatively short barreled gun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5%22/38_caliber_gun

Something  to  note captains would on occasion try to change the appearance of there ships and barrel extensions was a ploy used a lot to give the impression of heavier armament.

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion -- Where did Page 5 go?
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2012, 05:58:49 pm »

Yesterday when checking this thread, I saw that Glenn had assembled the Melvin and was doing tub flotation and power tests.  This was all on page 5 of the thread.  Today, page 5 is AWOL.  The last post I get is #178 from October 7.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on how good she is looking.  Glenn has gone above and beyond, in my opinion, and has made this kit a true thing of beauty.

PeeJay

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2012, 11:01:16 pm »

The site has had some upgrade problems Peejay

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2012, 01:55:36 am »

Thanks!~  I didn't think that I had dreamed about those "page 5 posts."   But when I first bought that kit, I did have dreams about having a model that loos that good.  Glen has shown us that the Melvin is worth the effort to make it a great addition to a collection.

I have been to a lot of maritime museums, and a great many models on display are not 100% accurate unless they are the "builders models," as they were carved our as best as the modelers could do with what was available, yet they capture the spirit of the real ship, if not the dimensional accuracy.  I believe that Glen's model really captures the spirit of the Fletchers, even if there are those that take issue with the hull of the Lindberg kit.

Even more modern "precise" models have errors.  For example:

Just today when I was reviewing photos of my intended Fletcher project, the USS Van Valkenburgh (DD656), I noticed that the forward torpedo mount did not have the "dog house" or cylindrical shield. (Note teh absence of the dog house seen on the absence of the aft mount from the forward torpedo mount.  There is just a canvas cover over the mount controls.)

In the USS Kidd walk around book, it states that the shield was to protect the torpedo aimer and fuse setter from the blast of the 5"/38 guns.  So I realized that the forward torpedo mount is not in the path of the aft 5"/38 blast, so it does not need a shield.  When I went to check the model of Van Valkenburgh sold by MotionModels.com to see if they had a "doghouse" on the forward torpedo mount, I was very surprised to see they do not even have a torpedo mount in that location.  The Motion Models Van Valkenburgh model is in the anti-aircraft refit configuration, just like the USS Kidd, with the aft quad 40's moved forward and their directors located on the 01 level where the forward torpedo tubes were originally located. 

But Van Valkenburgh was never fitted out with the anti-aircraft upgrade prior to her decommissioning in April of 1946.  So the Motion Models USS Van Valkenburgh model is essentially a USS Kidd 'boilerplate' with measure 31 painted on and a 656 decal on the bow and stern. 

I would much rather get the configuration of the ship right than make that kind of error with a diimensionally perfect hull.  Glen has shown that the kit can be detailed and assembled with a very high level of craftsmanship to be proud of, and, as an operating model, it is a lot more than a piece of decor.  When I lived in San Diego, I found that the family was much more responsive to going to the Model Yacht basin to operate model ships and boats than to go to a model flying field.

Looking forward to seeing Glen's Melvin out on the water.

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2012, 09:49:42 pm »

As there seems to of been a problem with the site I best repost the missing pics

Peejay thank you very much for you kind words about my model I agree with you some people have unjustly slated this kit and for get the essence of modelling "enjoy yourself" I personnelly think theres nothing wrong with linberg hull its the deck that needed things moving.

it looks me like its a canvas cover over the forward torpedo controls peejay

well this first set of pics are of her just before varnishing you'll notice dark areas behind the decals this just gloss varnish which for somereason provides a better surface for decal to stick to. I also repainted the gun boats black and the whaler awnings deck grey looks better than the green

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »

with painting complete and allowed to dry fully I varnished the entire ship with 3 cans of hunbrol 135 spray satin varnish

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »

the next stage was to fill the shaft tubes with grease and refit the shafts and props. Filled up the bath up. fitted the battery and popped in, she appears to be stable and handled a simulated swell very well. holding the bow gently slowly powered up to full ahead then full astern and back to full head this time putting in port and starboard rudder everything appears to be working well. I left her in the bath for well over an hour no water appeared to of seeped in.

Tomorrow she is going for sea trails once i'm happy with her sail qualities I'll add the finishing touches railing netting crew etc

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2012, 04:18:49 pm »

Well Guys this is the one you have been waiting for !!!!!!!!!!

SEA TRIALS REPORT

It was I lovely calm morning so the wife and I took a trip up to my clubs pond to test her.

Battery fitting intailly gave a slight list to port this was resolved by tweeking the battery position (I love velcro) With list sorted and the smoke generators filled off she went gradaully moving up to full ahead zig zagging to prove rudder control. She is very stable at full ahead full rudder left and right produced very little heel over.

Top tip "DONT let the wife drive!!!!!!!!!" the only other boat one the pond is a large static tanker CRUNCH  >>:-(

Lucky for her i caught it just in time  <*< or it would of been  <:(

On a more serious note guys If your thinking of converting to single rudder for authentisities sake DON'T she was not as responsive as I hoped with a about 2m turning circle it would be a lot more with single rudder.

The thing to note is while the 6v battery gives a fairly good scale speed. There is it no resevse for those little emergencies I will be popping over to my friendly model shop next week to get a 7.2v poss 8.4v battery.

Apart from that all she sailed beautifully. The horror stories on anther forum that she'll take in water didn't come true. Guys if your build one yourself copy my method of fitting the deck and adding coamings around the access holes under the superstructures. She was as dry as a bone inside after about 45.mins running

Here the pics hope you all like. Will be taking her out for another test run before adding the railings and crew to finish her off

I'm really looking forward to hearing your comments guys its been a while but the finish line is in sight   :-))

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS MelvinCompletion/Sea Trials
« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:24 pm »

I think that WOW!!!!!!!!!!!  Pretty well sums it up!   :D  Or, to use a more nautical term, "Splice the main brace!" (Which, for some historical reason, has the meaning, Time to tap a keg!"

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2012, 06:40:42 pm »

lol peejay thanks

it means a tot of rum for everyman on the ship in the present day royal navy can on only be ordered by the queen  :((

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:02 pm »

lokks great mate really great  :-))

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »

Excellent.....Boat looks great. So nice to see photo's of the boat at "scale" speed.

The 6 volt battery is my favorite for plastic conversions.

I've just finished my "Gentleman's Launch", and about to start a small Trent Lifeboat and the Lindberg will then follow.

Many Thanks for the excellent build log.

Regards

Alan

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »

I've thoroughly enjoyed following this thread - I'm looking forward to your next build too  O0

Dave

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »

thank you stormbringer

I'll look forward to see how you get on with her alan feel free to post your build here would be great if we can keep this thread going with others joining in. I also prefer 6v for my models easier when using LES's etc. I found an old 7.2 in my battery box will charge it and take here for another trail tomorrow.

Thanks norseman she not finished yet. my next build will be a vosper 1/32 mtb 379 my wife bought me the plans and wood pack last christmas at same time I'll will be building a 1/46 ant class gun boat with firing main gun. I'm also about to start a 1/32 ish semi scale LCM 3 with my eldest son will do build threads for each.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »

Good job well done :-))
Ideal boat for your local pond, not too big or too small...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »

Thanks mate will bring her in to see you tuesday see if if you got 7.2 or 8.4  battery that will fit

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »

Okay, got little uns and normal ones.... ok2
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2012, 05:47:35 pm »

great see you tuesday.

have you e mailed the form yet?

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »

Great to see the maiden voyage.  :-))

I thought it strange, correct me if I am wrong, that you had not done a float/operation test of the incomplete ship prior to this latest submission. I suppose your float test mentioned on the previous pages sufficed to test how well she floated and to the proper waterline and with acceptable stability?

Your particular destroyer here has several additions that most builders do not consider; The addition of smoke units and servos for turret activation and I was concerned that you had added too much top weight and would find that out the hard way.
Speaking of the smoke unit, can you provide some more details on its installation, maybe even photos of the thing itself? Noticed you kept that portion very secret. If it's for a good reason, please disregard...  8) Have to keep the shipyard spies at bay.

-Harq
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »

Hi Harq

Didn’t I mention one of the first things I did was dry fit the deck super structures guns extra marked the waterline and popped her into my garden pond. I added lead until the model sank to waterline took her out and weighed her, think it was 1.7kg. Baring this in mind I weighed everything I added the servo’s are very light and only one is fitted high in the hull The brass work is actually lighter than the Items they replace especially the mast head radar. Everything else is fitted as low as possible I also think the bilge keels are help the stability.

I'm working on a model roundhouse at mo. With youngest son for his school homework as soon as I'm done later will give a detailed description of the smoke generators installation.

Glen

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2012, 04:20:23 pm »

But that was so many posts ago Glen.   :P

I think my original intent may have drifted and what I wanted to write, what I was prepared to see but didn't, was you running her in the pond, unpainted and with most of the superstructure off just to make sure the propulsion was functional. So without pics, I was inclined to think none of that happened...

Oh well. My apologies.  :-X
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »

It was a long time ago harq I did do some bath tests before she was painted buts as the shafts can't be filled with grease until after all the paint ing is done they leak like sieves especailly in reverse. so best not risk your model on a pond might be last you of it

Hi Guys

Yesterday she went for her second sea trail. It was another calm day a bit merky to start but brighton up. I First tried a 7.2 battery which gave a good speed but still a bit weak so I took her out and popped in the 8.4v from my PCF Bingo perfect she sailed lovely even though the battery is a bit heavy. I have now bought a smaller 8.4 about half the size.

Hers a link to you tube where I have up loaded a vid of her second sea trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jw3hsENjPk

Heres the pics from the second sea trial

The proud Captain and his ship

Any questions guys please ask now the sea trials are done I'll order some suitable crew figures and fit railings and flags

Glen

Can anyone help me out us flag signals during ww2?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.