Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175615 times)

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:45 pm »

I don't know if they do the right scale -
http://www.hawk-graphics.com/

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »

Thanks Niall

I already have the flags its the actually signal codes I need I want something like "engaging enemy with torpedos" in reference to her attack and singking of the jap battle ship fuso

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2012, 08:17:06 pm »

As requested by Harq

Smoke Generator Installation

The two smoke units I used are Graupner Super Smoke Generator 6V units.

To fit the units into the funnel I first made a support out of 1mm plastic card cut the correct shape to it inside the funnel. I marked the position on the smoke generators so they clear the platforms attached to the funnel and drilled out to 10mm so the smoke gen is a snug fit. I then glued the support in place. Once dry painted black and when paint dried fitted the smoke generators I did NOT glue these in.

I glues a small junction block to the underside of the superstructure and wired in both generators in parallel on one side and the male connector of a JST lead to the other

The female JST lead was connected into the same junction block as the motors. The idea is this will give smoke in proportion to speed and allow the superstructure to be removed completely away from the hull.

The Whole ship so far is wired as such

Any more things I didn't post you would like to know please ask

Glen

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »

Hi Guys
Not been able to do any work on her over the weekend or during the week due to helping youngestest son with his homework. Had to help him build a iron age round house. took us a week but we built this,

He's very proud of it even if he did super glue 2 fingers together

Yesterday I start on the finishing touches. First thing to do is the railings along the main deck. The toms brass etch set comes with railing but these are very flimsy and need strengthening. I used .5mm brass rod as stanchions which I soldered to the railings using a large photo for reference.

I carefully drilled holes into the main deck ant dry fitted the railing, I did on 1 hole drill through the hull which I'll have to fill and repaint later.

I think the brass rod stanchions on the outside add a another detail dimension to the ship and more pleasing to the eye.
Glen

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »

cool roundhouse and the melvins looking great as well  :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:57 pm »

Thanks stormbringer

Well guys after 3 days of soldering I finally got all the railings done. I next primed them after a good clean. The next step was to sprayed with 2 coats of humbrol polished steel 27003 which is a great product for metal finishes. I goes on flat but once fully dry polishes up to a very realistic metal finish. The stanchions were painted the same colour as the hull

The top railings are the unpolished raw state

While I was at the soldering I made the flag staff for the bow. This is made from 1mm and .5mm brass rod soldered to form a cross and bent to shape before painting.

I have also added the rigging the Ariel's are a steel gray cotton will added some more details pics of this soon. The Signal flags are from BECC model accessories 10mm international code set A and B and glued to fine cotton rope coloured for the halliard's

The US Ensign Is also BECC 25mm US Flag

Will be fitting the railings today and hopefully make a start on some crew for her.

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »

Glenn - she looks really good with those railings and rigging.  I was looking at photos from "USS KIDD - On Deck", and can see how your method really replicates the look of the lifelines.

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2012, 08:45:26 pm »

Thanks peejay
I have also been looking at photo's of USS Kidd trying the work out what colour the netting is on the railings. Looks like a light brown to me

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

Here are some close-up pictures that I found on the internet, which look like they were scanned from the USS KIDD book.  Note the far right of the Depth charge roller rack, where it looks like some of the haze gray from the roller rack has gotten on to the netting, which appears to be black or gun-metal gray.  The picture of the port side depth charge racks has some sunlight on the netting just above the deck.  There, the netting appears to be a gray color.  Everywhere else, it looks black, but I think that is because it is silhouetted by the lighting. 

The current requirements for safety net construction are in the publication at this link http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Documents/afloat/Surface/DckAr/D_Ref/600HullEqp1.pdf   Navships Technical Manual for Hull Outfitting Equipment.  The manual calls out nylon, which was not available in WW2 and CRES (corrosion resistant stainless steel) in areas subject to blast, so a gunmetal finish would probably be appropriate.

PeeJay

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
Netting Pictures
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »

I didn't mean to double post the Depth Charge Roller Rack.  I meant to post this picture instead:

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:31 pm »

Thanks for the pics and info peejay. I sprayed to netting black today

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Hi Guys
as promised some detailed pics of rigging

She is very nearly finished just the netting to fit

A friend gave me these figures from revel U99 kit the same scale as melvin just need to mofify a few and repaint as us navy

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:39 am »

See if you can clone those figures in resin but first modify them so they are wearing "Mae Wests" and M1 helmets. Both of those items would be painted a dark or medium blue. I'd love to have a Blue Devil crew at battle stations, manning the guns/sitting in the dual 40mm's, etc. The 1/125 Lindberg LCU and Minesweeper also has a few figures in this scale and at least one of them has an M1 on his head...

If you are successful in your endeavor, I would buy several sets.  O0
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

lol no i'm just adjusting there poses and repainting

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2013, 07:09:49 am »

Hi Guys
Very sorry not completed this thread as planned the build had to be put on hold while some work was done on the house then christmas took over. Now everthing is back to normal I will be locking myself in my workshop and finishing her off.
Glen

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:34 am »

Hmmmmm... this will be reflected you your wage packet at the end of the month!  <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:28 am »

Very nice work......I have actually started mine now!........I thought I would try and build it as cheaply as possible as I want to concentrate funds on my next build, The Trumpter 1/200 Bismark.
All the best plans seem to fail when I get involved, I'm aftraid. I built up the single motor driving the modified twin shafted gearbox as per kit instructions, It worked OK for a while but the gearbox was noisy and the shafts didn't run smoothly in the plastic outers....eventually the motor gave up in a cloud of smoke. So I thought I would fit "proper" components.
I ordered a Mktronics 400 motor, M2 Prop shaft and tube, Brass three bladed prop and brass rudder, all from modelboatbits. I realise the boat should have twin props, but for simplicity I have gone with one. I'll run the motor with a 6Volt Lead Acid, Mktronics 15amp ESC, and Planet 2.4 Receiver. This setup works well for me.
As for paint finish, I'm not all that keen on the "Blue Livery", so I think I'll go for a camo pattern dark and light grey. I'm sure i've seen photo's of this setup.
Love to see some video of your boat in the water it should look fantastic.....Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Alan

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

lol Martin makes me glad I'm retired
Well alan as uss melvin is my subject I had no choice but to go the navy blue route as that the only scheme she wore during the war. However if you pic another ship you have a massive choice of schemes I could upload some pics of the schemes with colours if you like.
Glen

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:02 pm »

Hi Glen....Yes I rather like this Paint Scheme...

Alan

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »

Hi Guys
Very sorry not completed this thread as planned the build had to be put on hold while some work was done on the house then christmas took over. Now everthing is back to normal I will be locking myself in my workshop and finishing her off.
Glen

Happy New Year, Glen and fellow forum members!

During my annual taking down of the Christmas lights yesterday, I was able to work a path in the garage to my Fletcher box containing the remnants of my original Blue Devil and the parts from an unbuilt kit.  I pulled a couple of decks to help in scaling the plans.

I had forgotten how small some of those parts are in 1:125 scale, which causes me to marvel even more at the outstanding job you have done on your conversion thus far.  You have set the bar high.

PeeJay

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

lol Martin makes me glad I'm retired
Well alan as uss melvin is my subject I had no choice but to go the navy blue route as that the only scheme she wore during the war. However if you pic another ship you have a massive choice of schemes I could upload some pics of the schemes with colours if you like.
Glen

Glen,

Would also be interested in them, thank you. :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2013, 02:41:27 pm »

I had forgotten how small some of those parts are in 1:125 scale, which causes me to marvel even more at the outstanding job you have done on your conversion thus far.  You have set the bar high.

Small parts?! I guess you haven't seen others work some particularly superb magic in 1/700. 1/125 is huge!  ok2

1/108 Tugboat, about as long as one's hand. You're right, such a small size (close to 1/125) is a mere trifle.
~Harq

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2013, 09:32:37 pm »

Small parts?! I guess you haven't seen others work some particularly superb magic in 1/700. 1/125 is huge!  ok2

1/108 Tugboat, about as long as one's hand. You're right, such a small size (close to 1/125) is a mere trifle.

I have worked in the smaller scales, and the Revell USS Missourri was my first plastic kit back in the 50's.  You just do not try to simulate the wiring of the gun sights in that scale.  I have learned that there is a certain amount of realism in the smaller scales that comes from knowing what to leave off the model.  My point was that when looking at gunsights, directors, lookout chairs, etc., the proper sized parts in 1:125 are quite small and might not even be attempted in a 1:350 or 1:700 model.  (On the other hand, I do have Loren Perry's photoetch for the Revell Arizona and the 1:350 Titanic, complete with passengers.)

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2013, 04:54:08 pm »

Hi Guys

As promise fletcher camoflague patterns. The last number is the humbrol paint number

Measure 32/24D

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                          67
5-O Ocean Grey                          123

Sides
5-L Light Grey                             127
Black                                                             33

Measure 32/16D

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                          67
5-O Ocean Grey                          123

Sides
5-L Light Grey                             127
5-O Ocean Grey     123
Black                                                             33

Measure 32/14D

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                         67
5-O Ocean Grey                        123

Sides
5-L Light Grey                              127
Black                                                              33

Measure 32/13D

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                      67
5-O Ocean Grey                      123

Sides
5-L Light Grey                                    127
Black                                                                                   33

Measure 32/1D

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                        67
5-O Ocean Grey                        123

Sides
5-L Light Grey                           127
Black                                                          33

Measure 12

Deck
20-B Deck Blue                     67

Sides
5-S Sea Blue       96
5-O Ocean Grey  123
5-H Haze Grey    127

Measure 22

Deck
20-B Deck Blue            67

Sides
5-H Haze Grey             127
5-N Navy Blue             104

Hope this of use to you guys making other ships. If you got to this link there is a list of all ships in the class and the camoflafe schemes they wore
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/fletcher_class.htm

Glen

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:18 pm »

Great profiles, Glenn.  They look very much like the ones in the Ship Craft book, "Shipcraft 8, Fletcher Class Destroyers."  I just got this book for Christmas (with the help of Amazon.com  ok2 )and I would strongly recommend it.  It is the best reference I have seen to date, and well worth the wait for it to come "across the pond."

I have been researching the USS Van Valkenburgh (DD-656), which wore Measure 31/9D Camouflage her entire life.  This was apparently rare, as I have not seen photos of any other destroyer in this pattern.  Here are the patterns from the website Glenn referenced above.

PeeJay
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.