Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175555 times)

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

I have that book too peejay but there are much better references books I didn't find the shipcraft book that useful. My best reference was Fletcher class destroyers by Alan Raven and Fletcher DD's in action
Highly recommend these books
I believe anatomy of ships do a Fletcher book too.

Glen

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2013, 07:42:06 pm »

I guess one reason that I found it to be a really good book is that it has a logical discussion of the differences between individual ships.  The other books seem to show a "hodge podge" of different looking Fletchers with little explanation, other than the round vs square bridge discussion.  Further, I did not know the reason for the change to the 'square bridge' was for faster production and inspiration from the British Navy to have an "open bridge" forward of the pilothouse.  When "Fletchers in Action" addresses the increase in 40MM guns, they are not really talking about the emergency AA refit, as installed on the USS Kidd, but the increase of 40MM on the original Fletchers, which had 20MM guns in the forward gun tubs, where 40 MM guns were later installed.

In all fairness, the Fletchers in Action book was written many years ago, and the internet has really increased the availability of data and sources of photographs.  And I do not have the Alan Raven book.

Prior to really getting into this and the Fletcher forums here and on The Ship Model Forum Website, I knew about "round bridge" vs. "square bridge" Fletchers, but little else.  My curiosity was really aroused when I bought the book on the USS Kidd, which is shown in the last profile you posted, and it was missing the forward torpedo mount like the one on the Blue Devil kit.  There is a small profile in the Kidd book, showing her in an earlier configuration with a Measure 32 pattern camouflage, but I have found few photos to confirm the exact scheme she wore in her earlier days.

I have ordered the two destroyer books by Dave McComb, who is a major contributor to www.Destroyerhistory.org and offers the plans CD for the Fletcher class ships.  The CD includes the major variants.  David is extremely knowledgeable, and his history of the USS Van Valkenburgh (DD656), as well as her splinter camouflage, inspired me to build her from my Lindbergh kit.  Although I am still in the "research phase," I will be cutting plastic very soon.  Just picked up a couple new razor saw blades to deal with those pesky bulwarks where canvas covered rails belong.  I think I have a sprue cutter tucked away somewhere, which should also help.

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:24 am »

I will look forward to seeing your efforts peejay. Research is always my favourite part of modelling.

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »

Hi Guys

I have spent the week painting the crew the last job. They are tiny buggers  %% . As ever I used humbrol paints I used Osprey books Elite 80 The US Navy in World War 2 for reference

The officers
uniform and hats 121
belts 29
skin 61
shoe's and hat bands 85

Enlisted Men
Shirt 144
trousers and pork pie's 104 89 mixed 5:1
shoe's 85
skin 61

They took 4 day's to paint For some reason the paints took ages to dry
I'll be fitting the netting and crew sometime in the next few day's and excitingly she'll be a finished model photo's to follow very soon

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: January 14, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »

Your crew looks like they will "do you proud!"  Excellent work.

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:39 pm »

Thanks Peejay

Well guys after 6 months work I have finally got a finished model. Its be a lot of fun and I have learnt a lot about the ship and her sisters I have also discovered that after hearing and reading so much negativity about this kit I have also learnt that you should make your own mind up. this model would never of got built if I had believed what others said.

So without further ado here she is my

USS MELVIN DD-680  THE BLUE DEVIL

I very much hope you all liked and please tell me me what you think. I look forward to reading your comments

Glen

Forgot to mention she with be on display at the Midhurst show on 17th February please come along and see her in person

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »

Lookin good, thanks for all the tips  :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57:13 am »

Glen -- I am sure that Lindbergh never dreamed that this kit could be built to look so good when they put it on the market.  I am with you regarding not letting the negative views of some people preventing anyone from building it.  I think your model will not only surprise the naysayers with its outstanding attention to detail and 'clean' building, but will absolutely floor the spectators when you take that 'museum piece' and put it in the water to go full steam ahead (and reverse) with smoke belching from the stacks.  That kind of reaction is a  reward in itself.

You have set the bar high.  I have to agree with your comments about leaning a lot about the Fletcher Class destroyers in the course of researching the model.  There are a lot of things that I didn't know about the various Fletcher configurations, as well as the type and location of most of the battles they were engaged in, and the horrendous loss of life their crews incurred while protecting 'the big ships' from the enemy.  I look forward to proceeding with my own build, and, when I do, I will be sure to share it in a new thread in this forum.

Congratulations on a fine accomplishment.

PeeJay

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:46 am »

I agree with all PeeJay said and for my own part this. I am not really a warship lover yet I have entirely enjoyed your build  and your problems with it. What a great way to treat a kit  :-)) Now I think I'd like to see it side by side with one in that dazzle? camoflage.  O0 Can you talk someone into it please Glen? .... oh no, don't look at me.

Dave
What's the next build?

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Melvin director and it fouling the guard rails/bulkhead walls
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2013, 07:46:58 am »

I had the Lindberg fletcher once and noted that the main director couldn't be trained abeam as it caught the walls surrounding the platform it is on.

So which is the bad part? the director? or the narrowness of the platform it sits on? I found this on the net, it shows a director not much bigger than thepedastel it sits on and is nowhere near the rails.

To the OP, great build.  :-)) Fletchers are a bit of a soft spot for me since owning the Melvin and I may follow your footsteps on day.

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:56 am »

Congratulations Glen.....A wonderful build, great step by step build log and a result to be proud of.

Will look great steaming around any pond.

Mine is waiting for ESC and receiver at the moment and for the cold weather to finish....

Once again...great work.

Alan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »

Nice one Glen!   :-))

... what's next?     O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Melvin director and it fouling the guard rails/bulkhead walls
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:13 pm »

I had the Lindberg fletcher once and noted that the main director couldn't be trained abeam as it caught the walls surrounding the platform it is on.

So which is the bad part? the director? or the narrowness of the platform it sits on? I found this on the net, it shows a director not much bigger than thepedastel it sits on and is nowhere near the rails.

To the OP, great build.  :-)) Fletchers are a bit of a soft spot for me since owning the Melvin and I may follow your footsteps on day.

Pondweed -- I purchased the plan DVD from the Destroyer Historical Foundation, which you can find here:  http://destroyerhistory.org/destroyers/store/[/size]   After scaling the drawings to the same size as the midships deckhouse roofs with the same spacing between the torpedo mounts, it appears that the bridge deck and pilot house may be too narrow, cramping the space in which the director rotates.  It also appears that the Lindbergh director tapers too much in the front, because its fore and aft dimension is too long. That causes the front of the director to hit the rail when it rotates.  It may also have the pivot point a little too far aft, which would add to the problem.  Those problems can be fixed with some major kitbashing. (Cut back the front of the director, widen the bridge deck, enlarge the pilot house -- you have to replace the front of the pilot house for the proper number of 5 portholes, anyway.)  It just depends on how far you are willing to go to modify or replace the kit parts.
[/size]
[/size]As stated by the book, "Shipcraft 8, Fletcher Class Destroyers." (an excellent reference available from Amazon), The Lindbergh kit reminds one "of the story of the axe: 'it turned out to be a rather good axe after I replaced the blade and then replaced the handle.' "
[/size]
[/size]That is one of the reasons that I find Glen's model so incredible.  Considering what he started out with, he has done an outstanding job of transformation into a quality model.
[/size]
[/size]PeeJay

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:05 pm »

It appears that the bridge deck and pilot house may be too narrow, cramping the space in which the director rotates.  It also appears that the Lindbergh director tapers too much in the front, because its fore and aft dimension is too long. That causes the front of the director to hit the rail when it rotates. It may also have the pivot point a little too far aft,

The  story of the axe: 'it turned out to be a rather good axe after I replaced the blade and then replaced the handle.' "

Thanks for confirming, if it were me (and ignoring the front of the pilot house for the moment) I'd remove the walls around that area, remove and replace the pivot point to the correct site (or make the pedastel) and re-do the director to the correct size whether by remodelling the original piece or by making new. Whatever was easiest and best.

But modelling is down to individual choice. How I'd do it may not be right for others.

Cheers

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:48 pm »

Thanks for confirming, if it were me (and ignoring the front of the pilot house for the moment) I'd remove the walls around that area, remove and replace the pivot point to the correct site (or make the pedastel) and re-do the director to the correct size whether by remodelling the original piece or by making new. Whatever was easiest and best.

But modelling is down to individual choice. How I'd do it may not be right for others.

Cheers

Pondweed -- I meant to ask earlier -- where did you find the picture you posted?  That is a very finely detailed model.  I don't believe coming acrosss that model before.

PeeJay

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2013, 12:20:05 am »

I found it via a google search for fletcher class destroyers. The image was posted on this forum.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/naval-warfare/56651-destroyers-fletcher-class-30.html

The text in the post says the image is from "this illustration from Bellspec's Model website"

Whoever made it, she's a cracker, isn't she ?

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »

I found it via a google search for fletcher class destroyers. The image was posted on this forum.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/naval-warfare/56651-destroyers-fletcher-class-30.html

The text in the post says the image is from "this illustration from Bellspec's Model website"

Whoever made it, she's a cracker, isn't she ?

My initial reaction was that it was the model of the USS The Sullivans, built by Fine Art Models, but the life rafts on that model are mounted and shaped differently.  She is a beauty, and I would suspect, based on the amount of detail, that it may be a 1:48 model.  Lots of detail to shoot for in a 1:125 build!

PeeJay

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:59 am »

My initial reaction was that it was the model of the USS The Sullivans, built by Fine Art Models, but the life rafts on that model are mounted and shaped differently.  She is a beauty, and I would suspect, based on the amount of detail, that it may be a 1:48 model.  Lots of detail to shoot for in a 1:125 build!

PeeJay

Looking at the scale of the various nettings and meshes, they are quite crude (big) for that big a scale, I'll split the difference with you and say 1:96

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

Hi Guys

Firstly thankyou all for your nice comments they do mean a lot to me.

Martin thank you My next project is going to be a bit of a whopper. I have for years always wanted to build and aircraft carrier and the exploits of Force H have always interested me so intend to build Force H ships that served with the force in 1941 particularly the ships at the time of the bismark sinking

peejay and pondweed be very carefully your comparing the linberg kit with a proffesionally scratch built model which is 1/192 scale its in your shipcraft book peejay

Glen

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2013, 12:14:16 pm »

Pondweed, et al,

That Fletcher in the pics looks like Bob Steinbrunn's USS Kidd. An award winner in 1/192 scale. I'm certain that that's it.  I think Glen already knows this as he's right about the scale. There's plenty of pics of that build online and on the major model boating sites.

Congrats on finishing the destroyer, by the way.  :-))

Great build thread and documentation and I've directed a lot of non-members to your build from off-site as a result.
~Harq

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:21 pm »

Don Pruel's 1/196 model is on the cover of the Shipcraft Volume, "Fletcher Class Destroyers," and is, indeed, very similar.  There are differences, though, in the coloring of the life rafts, the equipment on top of the pilot house, coloring of torpedo director and canvas boot on the director's optical range finder.  It could still be that model -- just a different iteration, as I know that many models are "never finished."  :)

Beautiful work, at any rate, in any scale.  Something to aspire to, but I do  realize those are models of professionals, as Glen has pointed out, and not an upgrade of the Blue Devil.  I have to agree with Harquebus regarding Glen's build as documentation for the Lindbergh kit.  I have downloaded his photos of several steps in his construction, as well as referring this thread to a number of posters that have appeared recently on the RC Groups scale ships and Dock Talk forums.

PeeJay

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:22 pm »

Great build mate. Takes time to create something like that. Congrats. So an aircraft carrier next,  entering the world of good stuff now mate. Ask Alan T . I still like his build. NIMITZ is just around the corner too.

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »

Well, Glen -- your transformation of this kit, and the availability of Tom's photo etch -- which you used so expertly -- have gotten me going.  My Tom's order has been sent, and I think I now have the Fletcher CD plans properly scaled for the Blue Devil build.  Next post from me regarding my work will be on my own build thread.

PeeJay

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:38 am »

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the lovely comments.  For those who might be interested my model of Melvin will be on display at MidHurst Modeller Exhibition on Sunday 17th February This will be the first time I have exhibited I'll be on the Fareham and District Soceity of Model Engineers Stand Please come and say hi and see Melvin in the Flesh. Details on the link

http://www.thegrange.org.uk/content/view/78/72/

Glen

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »

Hi Guys

Thought you would like to see some pics of her on display last weekend with my PCF "swift boat" and M class Destroyer HMS Opal

I hope so of you were there and saw her

Glen
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.