Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175590 times)

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »

Thanks for the post.  I am just a tad bit too far "across the pond" from you, so I was unable to get to the exhibition.  Looks like there were some great projects.  I have received Tom's Modelworks PE set, and it really shows me the precision of your work on this kit.  Glad that others could see it.

PeeJay

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »

No, don't do it Alan, you'll hate yourself if you go with the one-propeller setup!  <:( <:( <:(

I understand your misgivings. You made the first fatal error in trying to use the included Rube Goldberg contraption (i.e., "gearbox" and I use the term loosely here) to operate the two shafts and it failed. And now you have this sort of self-defeating attitude going on which is killing your confidence. A twin motor/twin prop setup can be done, and with all the expertise available on this forum (free of charge) giving you all the moral support you need, you cannot go wrong and you cannot fail.

In a way, you're making it simple but still complicated. You'll have to plug the original shaft holes and drill another one for your single shaft whereas if you go the way it was intended, there's no holes to fill.  :-) Well, I tried...

All the best plans seem to fail when I get involved, I'm aftraid. I built up the single motor driving the modified twin shafted gearbox as per kit instructions, It worked OK for a while but the gearbox was noisy and the shafts didn't run smoothly in the plastic outers....eventually the motor gave up in a cloud of smoke. So I thought I would fit "proper" components.
I ordered a Mktronics 400 motor, M2 Prop shaft and tube, Brass three bladed prop and brass rudder, all from modelboatbits. I realise the boat should have twin props, but for simplicity I have gone with one.
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Melvin director and it fouling the guard rails/bulkhead walls
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2013, 02:08:33 pm »

I think I read somewhere that the director for the Blue Devil is indeed quite oversized and for that matter shaped wrong in almost every dimension (It is so big that it almost mimics the size of the 5"/38 turrets). The real one has a second "bevel" on the front; it's not just one angle. The kit director is also, as already discussed, mounted too low on the pilothouse roof. It needs a small riser or pedestal. An aftermarket resin-cast director (as well as five accurately shaped gun turrets) was produced for the Blue Devil some years ago.
See here.

So, there's several options for correcting this.  :-))

I had the Lindberg fletcher once and noted that the main director couldn't be trained abeam as it caught the walls surrounding the platform it is on.

So which is the bad part? the director? or the narrowness of the platform it sits on? I found this on the net, it shows a director not much bigger than thepedastel it sits on and is nowhere near the rails.
~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:44 pm »

thanks peejay and good luck with yours

I've said before harquebus and I'll say it again This kit is a toy  designed as toy hence the chunky mouldings if your after a perfect precision model I'd bin the lindy and start from scratch lol. People do tend to forget  the target age group for this model is 10 ideal for me  :D

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2013, 06:16:37 pm »

Getting there....slowly! :-

Alan

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2013, 09:35:08 pm »

looking good alan

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2013, 04:11:09 am »

I've said before harquebus and I'll say it again This kit is a toy  designed as toy hence the chunky mouldings if your after a perfect precision model I'd bin the lindy and start from scratch lol. People do tend to forget  the target age group for this model is 10 ideal for me  :D

I don't think anyone is being critical, I think it's just acknowledging where the faults are. I for one thought it a good basis for a kit.

From what I recall of the price [£60?] you could pay that for a fibreglass hull. How much is a 1/96 destroyer semi-kit? £200-300? So you get what you pay for. I'd even go as far to say people would enjoy correcting it and improving the details.

p.s. I've just looked at the Lindberg site and I'm quite impressed with these models:
  • the German Aircraft Carrier Graf Zeppelin in 1:200 at 56in long.
  • Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine C-1 (class) I-20 & the HA-20 Midget Sub in 1:72 at 58in long
  • Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine C-3 (class) I-53 with Kaiten "Kamikaze" Torpedoes in 1:72 at 58.5in long

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:51 pm »

morning all have finshed my flecter destroyer i am going to run it on a 6 volt 1 1/2 amp battery just the right weight .. all i can afford what fuse and esc will i need   thanks

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »

how many motors you running?

Mines a mtroniks 20amp ESC running 2 280 motors at 8.4v  no fuse

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

Mine is a Mktronics 15amp ESc with Mktronics 400 single motor running on 7.2V

Alan

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2013, 05:28:47 am »

There was some recent discussion regarding fuses in low current drain R/C conversion applications on another forum off-site. I'm not sure what the protections and failsafes Mtroniks claims on their products do, but do these features, namely the 1st, 2nd and 8th preclude any need of an inline fuse? What exact protections/failsafes are they claiming and how do they function?
  • NEW built in failsafe to protect against complete loss of signal or when out of range (compatible with all manufacturers receivers)**INDUSTRY FIRST**
  • ABSOLUTE short circuit and motor overload protection
  • 15Amp motor limit
  • 1.2A BEC
  • Dual core microprocessor
  • 5 -10 cells input voltage (6.0-12.0V)
  • 4 Layer super power circuit board
  • Thermal integrated protection system

I love this build log; so much information to share and discuss. Let's see if we can get her up to 100+/- pages... O0
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2013, 05:36:58 am »

Except there are no longer any 10 year olds drooling over this kit like there were decades ago (they all grew up, are on a nostalgia bent and are currently revisiting their youth with this abomination of a kit). Kids these days, young men, cannot be pried away from their video games long enough to even ascertain whether this hobby even exists. It's so far beyond their interests these days, I have not words to describe it.  <:( :-)

-Harq

thanks peejay and good luck with yours

~Harq

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2013, 07:35:46 am »

that's so true harq.
My boys think think the world ends if the xbox isn't allowed. We limit access to encourage other interested and my eldest is now showing good promise in become the next generation modeller still need to learn patients

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:33 pm »

Except there are no longer any 10 year olds drooling over this kit like there were decades ago (they all grew up, are on a nostalgia bent and are currently revisiting their youth with this abomination of a kit). Kids these days, young men, cannot be pried away from their video games long enough to even ascertain whether this hobby even exists. It's so far beyond their interests these days, I have not words to describe it.  <:( :-)

-Harq

I would have to agree with Harquebus regarding the nostalgia associated with this kit.  However, I can't totally agree that it is an 'abomination.'  I have been scaling the drawings to do my mods to the Blue Devil, and although there are some very obvious errors,  the plans actually do scale out to 1:125, based on the Fletcher Class Plans CD.  And, although I have spent more than the original cost of the kit on the photo-etch alone and more for plastic bits (I beams, H beams, small dia. rod, flat stock in various thicknesses) the total spent to date would not cover even a comparably sized fiberglass hull, and then I would have to build all else from scratch.  I have been following the scale build threads on the internet, and most modelers may spend from twice the cost of the kit to five or six times on multiple photo-etch and replacement parts, and their models don't even do anything (besides look damn pretty!)

I totally agree with the comments regarding the young generation being infatuated with video games, but they can be dissuaded.  During a recent visit. my grandson kept bugging me for my phone, because his mother has games on hers.  I do not.  However, he also loves trains and cars, so giving him a 3D car  to play with was greatly preferred to the video.  He is now 4, and I will make sure that he is indoctrinated into something other than the video to play with.  There are boats in his future.

The one helpful thing about video gaming is that it does develop eye-hand coordination, which took me a little while to re-learn when going back to flying r/c or driving a high speed boat from a distance.

PeeJay

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »

Hi guys...Just a quick update.

I managed to get to the Club Lake today for the first time since I finished my Fletcher....Well it floats!...and received admiring glances and comments from the senior members present, so I must be doing something right.....(No photos or video I'm afraid, forgot my camera!...).
The performance was a little dissapointing so I think I made a mistake in going for a "scale" size prop..(20mm). I think I will change it for a larger one and if that doesn't work I'll upgrade the motor.
The results with the Fletcher has made me rethink my options for the Trumpter Bismark, which I'm about to start. I was going with a single motor but now I think I may go via twin 540's or similar or perhaps the Dean's Marine two motor set up. I think I only need a single Esc and 6V lead acid as there was a large scale Type 42 running with this configeration at the pond today and that was all wood construction!..

Alan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »

A single scale size prop where 2 were on the original is always going to be slower than the right number unless it can be made to spin much faster.  The speed of the boat going forward is partly dependent on the speed of the water being pushed backward by the prop, but also on the volume of the water being moved in a given length of time.  A bigger prop might not move the water any faster and therefore not show any speed increase.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2013, 01:56:19 am »

I would have to agree with Harquebus regarding the nostalgia associated with this kit.  However, I can't totally agree that it is an 'abomination.'  I have been scaling the drawings to do my mods to the Blue Devil, and although there are some very obvious errors,  the plans actually do scale out to 1:125, based on the Fletcher Class Plans CD.  And, although I have spent more than the original cost of the kit on the photo-etch alone and more for plastic bits (I beams, H beams, small dia. rod, flat stock in various thicknesses) the total spent to date would not cover even a comparably sized fiberglass hull, and then I would have to build all else from scratch.  I have been following the scale build threads on the internet, and most modelers may spend from twice the cost of the kit to five or six times on multiple photo-etch and replacement parts, and their models don't even do anything (besides look damn pretty!)

I think I am more expressing the general disdain for the Blue Devil in the hobby media (online sources, magazine reviews, etc.) than I am personally trashing it. It is a product of its time and was designed first and foremost as a motorized model so it had to be durable enough for the young neophyte hobbyist so certain details were designed thicker, with more inherent strength, simplified to the extreme or overlooked entirely. I like being able to see this kit on various internet sites or even down at the local pond and being able to identify it for what it is. It still has great appeal; a 3 foot long Blue Devil Destroyer (even the name sounds sinister) for not a whole lot of money. It's one of the very few models where the size of the box truly indicates the size of the actual model. Very much what-you-see-is-what-you-get.  :-))
~Harq

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2013, 04:20:37 am »

Well said, Harquebus.  It is a neat old kit no matter what level of detail you wish to achieve.

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:23 am »

Hi Guys and update on the performance issue of the boat.

I had a M2 20mm brass three bladed prop fitted to my Mktronics 400 motor and performance was unimpressive.

I have now fitted a M2 30mm plastic three bladed prop (all of £1-96) and performance is transformed....both speed off the mark and top speed is more than adequate and I can now cruise the lake without having to use full power....a great upgrade....Only loss is the pretty brass prop...so I think some brass looking paint required.....or maybe try my five bladed 30mm brass prop!...now there's a thought!.

Alan

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:20 am »

Not suprised Alan you have more than doubled the area of prop. Out of interest why did you use a single prop instead of twin prop set up and whats the handling like? Also love to see some pics on here of her.

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2013, 10:00:24 am »

Very simple really....I am a "cheapskate"!......a single motor/single propshaft, single esc, & single rudder is much cheaper than a twin install, takes up less room. On the water the setup used is invisible . I build/ convert between two and three boats a year so cost is important to me. This is one of the reasons all my boats operate off the same Planet TX...(up to 7 at the moment!).

I used a twin motor setup in my Tamiya Enterprise and that has no advantage as far as I'm concerned, re handling, turning etc. as it was controlled by a single ESC.

If I was building a static or display model then it would be different, but I am only really interested in how the boat performs and looks on the water, not in a display cabinet.

Handling is fine, turning circle about 2 metres which is all I require.

Photo's and video to follow, next time I get to the lake.

Alan

Bismark is progressing but I'm waiting on Dean's Marine to provide one of their motive power kits (Single motor again!)...I understand they are "awaiting delivery" of new stock!.

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: April 24, 2013, 07:54:39 am »

lol Alan nothing wrong with being a cheapskate I the same. Although I only tend to build 1 model a year. As i operate on a relatively small pond handling is always a concern. Its interesting to note we both get roughly the same turning radius. But i do like to look at my models on the shelf as well on the water.

Looking forward to see you pics and vidoe on this thread it would be great if others put pic of their lindy on here.

hopefully mine will be on the water at the weekend if the weather holds

Glen

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02:31 am »

Hi Guys

I was just browsing the model dockyards website and they selling the blue devil kit. It appears Linberg has gone back into production. Hope we see lots more builds on here.

PeeJay333

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:56 am »

Hi Guys

I was just browsing the model dockyards website and they selling the blue devil kit. It appears Linberg has gone back into production. Hope we see lots more builds on here.

There has actually been another one started, and you were a major inspiration, as well as Roger ("snaphappy") on the Ship Model Forum (USS Haggard DD 555).

I started it in the R/C Groups Scale Boats Forum here:  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950472. I will add a thread here when cutting gets really going.  I am a little farther along than my last post.  I have been marking the hull to cut the sheer line, as the kit hull is just a straight taper from the bow to stern.  I will also be adding to the depth of the aft part of the hull to achieve a more accurate transom height. 

PeeJay

1sgt

• Shipmate
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2014, 01:08:03 pm »

Glen,
   Fantastic build thread.  I hope someone replies after me so I can save this whole build to my files.  Great looking BD.  I really have to dig mine out  and get her finished.  Thanks for all your hard work and sharing.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 22 queries.