Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175577 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2014, 10:09:36 pm »

How interesting. I bought a random hull off of ebay a while bakc that I am currently converting into the WW destroyer HMS Ready and I wondered which kit it came from and thanks to you I now know. I have chopped and changed the hull considerably but it is currently still recognisable as the Blue Devil hull.

Your assembly of the kit is going well and hope she sails a dream.
Pond weed is your enemy

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2014, 02:22:05 am »

And a good morning Aussie time to all the Fletcher Builders. Well sorry I have been away for a long time. I hope you are still active Glen and Harquebus and Raarty Gunner and all the others. I have missed you all but unfortunately my computer decided to not play any more and I have at long last saved enough pennies for a nice new one.
I have also managed to purchase another Blue Devil and will endeavour to do a Glen build job which I will follow to the letter including the smoke gennies and the Toms Modelworks Etch kit. I saw Glens video on you tube and gave it the appropriate comment. Bloody Beautiful. Anyway will be in touch again. I did manage to finish my Original Fletcher and will see if I can find some pictures of her as she is now. Nowhere in the class of Glens build but I am happy with my first attempt. I have been doing a lot of model aircraft so I believe my modeling skills have improved.
Cheers for now to you all.
Armo

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2014, 02:54:50 am »

Just sorting out my camera image size. If this works will post other pictures later.
Armo

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:52 am »

…and over here it's so late, it's early!

Glen, I've read back over the thread, but I cannot for the life of me spot it, but, what anchors did you use on your Fletcher? There's only one supplied in the kit - when in later war some Fletchers had one of their torpedo tube set removed, to be replaced by quad forties and a director, one of the anchors was also removed to save weight - unfortunately Lindberg appear to have based their model on this later fo'c'sle. The Lindberg anchor is truly enormous as well!  :-)

I've got one Fletcher 99.9% built in an ultralight top hamper format - everything that could reasonably be hollowed out, has been, all the turrets are fixed in rotation, but not elevation, and the toytown travers gear has been omitted. It runs a pair of 280s from a 4.8v 5000mah subC pack (power and ballast!) from a pair of £5 Chinese ESCs, driving 25mm Raboesch 'destroyer' props, with a single rudder. It handles wind readily without drama.

I let an ex RN friend of mine sail it for a fair while - which may have been a mistake… He's commissioned me to build another to a very similar spec!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #279 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

Great Photos! 

please send orginal / HiRes and I'll post as photo of the month.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: August 04, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »

Hi Guys

Not been about much have had a very busy year so far. renovating a house and a model boat project with a local scout troop i'll be posting pics of there efforts in the near future. I did find time to build a flower class corvette almost finished

Robert I think they a pair of graupner plastic anchors I picked up in my local model shop. a lovely looking model btw hope your mate likes his

nice to see you armo looks like nice model have fun with the next.

Glen

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: August 04, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »

Robert I think they a pair of graupner plastic anchors I picked up in my local model shop. a lovely looking model btw hope your mate likes his

Glen, thanks and thanks. I've never built anything for anyone else before, so I am currently in a state of mild apprehension  :-)

-Rob

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: August 04, 2014, 02:11:54 pm »

you'll be fine. you got my thread to help if you need it and i'm always happy to answer questions. just take your time and have fun

glen

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »

I love these old models - I did one a couple of years ago (£20 off ebay) - I didn't bother with over-detailing it as they all look the same in the middle of the lake. Also, people say they are not too stable so adding weight up high on the model didn't seem sensible.

I did the same as mentioned above, 2x 280 motors, 2mm shafts & 25mm props, 2x cheapo Chinese ESC and a 7.2v racing pack in the bottom for ballast & stability.
I put a pair of brass rudders on because the little plastic ones in the kit looked very fragile.

I sailed great - the only issue is the lack of free-board at the stern which is worse in a tight turn when the boat is heeled over. I put in extra bulkheads all down the length of the hull in case it took on water to make sure it couldn't slosh around and capsize it.

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »

I sailed great - the only issue is the lack of free-board at the stern which is worse in a tight turn when the boat is heeled over. I put in extra bulkheads all down the length of the hull in case it took on water to make sure it couldn't slosh around and capsize it.

The Fletchers were renowned 'wet' ships, so any water sloshing on the decks is entirely prototypical, especially in a swell and a turn.

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »

Great Photos! 

please send orginal / HiRes and I'll post as photo of the month.   :-))

To martin@ (the name of this site) ?

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:40 am »

Hello good to see some reaction to the Fletcher and good to see that you Glen are still modeling. I don't know if this will work but this is the work going on at the moment in my shipyard in Queensland.
You can see the USS Mcgowan and the Sovremenny being reworked. Also a new Blue Devil being trial fitted before anything permanent is done to this Model.
Cheers for now

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2014, 03:43:06 am »

Well good morning Aust time to you all. Glen if you read this, where did you get the tubing to fit around the turret supports. I think it is 8mm in diameter would I be correct? or am I slightly out. My eyes are not as good as they were. I was thinking of trying Cornwall Hobbies as I have dealt with them before. I also want to get 2 of the 280 motors you used in your build.
Can you help out purchase location of those>
Thanks mate and getting organised for the new build slowly. Am ordering everything before I start to make sure all is at hand to complete a good model.
Cheers for now - Armo

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2014, 11:12:53 pm »

Hi Armo
sorry for the delay been away. I got the tubing from ebay can't remember what size they are but its the internal diameter that you need. Good luck getting the motors I tried to get some more recently couldn't get they anywhere.

good luck with your model

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:11 am »

Goods Morning Glen,
Great to hear from you once again. No worries I will find the tubing and I was in luck as I did find in my Shed two motors of the size that fitted perfectly into the mount supplied with the Lindberg Kit.
So I am a happy chappy. I have not done much to the ship as yet as I am still waiting for paint to come from a friend of mine in California so, she sits in her box in pieces waiting patiently to be assembled.
I have trial fitted all of her major parts that make her mobile and all seems to be in order.
Thank you for your reply and that your and your family are all well and in great health and spirits.
Cheers for now - Armo

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »

Here's a screen-grab from a video of my USS Melvin - the camera was mounted on the gun of a Matchbox Flower Class.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2014, 03:27:16 am »

She looks really terrific, Congrats Plastic and hope she gives you many hours of enjoyment like my USS McGowan Has. They are a good size and look great on the water where they belong. An oldie but a goldie as far as kits go.
 :-))

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:38 pm »

I seemed to have missed the last few replies on this thread!

Regarding 280 motors, make sure you get the ones with proper carbon brushes. On a 5 cell 6V sub C battery pack, running three blade 25mm props, the ship will plane - I kid you not!

Scrap the kit rudders - only the last four (5?) Fletchers ran twin rudders, and making your own single rudder out of brass is easy - trust me!

So I built my commissioned Fletcher as USS DD795 Preston and improved upon my Fletcher in numerous areas - 5port hole bridge, wiper boxes above bridge windows, ALL(27!) gun barrels drilled and opened up, cinder guards fitted to the top of the stacks, Direction Finding antenna fitted between X and Y turret, additional director fitted between X and Y turret, and fitted late type sonar dome on base of hull ahead of A turret - and many others.

Guess which dimwit forgot to take pics before handover?  :-X

The new owner is V happy so that's all that matters really.

I'll see if I can persuade him to bring it out for a photo op on Saturday  :-)

-Rob

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2014, 10:38:37 pm »

T'is great to see the hull built as intended. You can see what evil things I am doing to the hull I got off of Ebay, converting her to HMS Ready. I hope the raised freeboard will make her drier. The irregular wall thickness is causing lots of fun.

Pond weed is your enemy

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2014, 02:09:23 am »

Look forward to seeing HMS Ready and also your build Plastic. The two with information will look great.
 %%

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2014, 08:54:02 pm »

Untitled by rajd999, on Flickr

USS Preston astern USS Melvin.

USS Preston on radar picket.

Flank speed to port XO!

Continue flank speed on course XO!

On Patrol - USS Preston astern of USS Melvin.

Murky old day, but a few pics of my commission in action earlier.

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »

Well built models with lots of extra authentic detail, and very nice photos - well done Rob!

Brian

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2014, 01:56:05 am »

Well built models with lots of extra authentic detail, and very nice photos - well done Rob!

Brian

Thanks Brian!

A lot of the detail upgrades are very subtle, some not so, and one invisible whilst it's on the water - USS Preston has a late war sonar dome fitted on the base of the hull.

Whilst the kit is very much still Lindberg, it's propulsion and steering owes very little to it's Lindberg heritage, and all the tweaks have made it more recognisable as a Fletcher - I still can't believe I drilled and counter bored the 20mm cannon gun barrels!

The current owner specified a ship that was to be sailed on a regular basis - the deck is fixed and watertight, with high combings around the hatch openings under the removable deck houses and bridge. The motive power is a 3300mah subC battery driving two 280 motors through a new Hobbywing QuicRun waterproof 1625 brushed ESC (which is selectable for NiMh or LiPo, and Forward/Reverse - Forward/Brake/Reverse and Forward only). The shafts and tubes are set of Steve Tranter's precision ground M2 micros driving a set of 25mm Raboesch props - The radio gear is a FlySky TH 9x with Hobbyking (FlySky OEM 6ch receiver) running ER9x software - which allows my former RN friend to sail it with quite some precision - plus the range on this setup is quite incredible, especially as the receivers are about five quid a go depending on exchange rates.

-Rob

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07:26 am »

Hi Plastic you have a PM.
Roy

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: September 21, 2014, 01:20:35 pm »

Excellent pictures and information on the build. Many thanks, I am redoing my Nimitz at the moment and once she is completed I will dress up my Fletcher the USS McGowan a bit more and start on the other Lindberg Fletcher I managed to acquire. I will have a look as I did for McGowan for a suitable Fletcher to copy in the colours shown when researching.
Great Stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.