Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175565 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »

I do like seeing several of the same class on the water as it does demonstrate that many vessels were not one-offs but were part of classes that may be slightly different but no less capable.

Lovely work Rob!
Pond weed is your enemy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2014, 03:30:21 pm »

I went along to the St Albans model show on Saturday - There was a modified USS Melvin model on show that had to be seen to be believed. It was amazing - I know these models quite well and almost every piece on show had been completely re-worked. It had a full phot-etch kit as well. Best one I've ever seen!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »

Was the etch an after market product or did the modeller design his own? It is costly to do but can be worth every penny compared with hours of fettling sheet metal.
Pond weed is your enemy

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2014, 01:32:38 am »

I do like seeing several of the same class on the water as it does demonstrate that many vessels were not one-offs but were part of classes that may be slightly different but no less capable.

Lovely work Rob!

Thanks!

They're all slightly different (the Fletchers) but were the effective protective mainstay of the US fleet in WWII.

The pair I've built so far have been purely for use on the water and almost week in week out sailing.

Moving on, Tom's Model Works appears to be under new ownership - my Fletcher etch arrived in less than a week from US -> UK

I haven't used it yet…

-Rob

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:01 am »

Hello fellow Shipmates, Yes I am keeping my Fletcher USS McGowan as the standard version but will be ordering the Etch Kit for my new build. I look forward to trying my hand at the Etch work not having tried it before. I will make sure I practice. I have a little Spruance class warship that I am building at the moment and have fitted her out for R/C work in say a swimming pool or a small pond. I have purchased 3 wire railings in the Etch and will try that first. I did learn that it is better to make small posts for the railings to be glued to when shaped too. So I was thinking of cutting up some sewing pins and inserting them into the deck, set the railings with superglue on those the give them the coat of paint. I will see how that works out. Small heavy gauge wire for posts is another option too I suppose. Anyway still painting the beastie so will be a while and making up a model in 1/48 of an Aussie Mirage for my Aussie Aircraft display's now started.
Cheers to all for now - Armo :-))

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »

New member to the forum, here!

With regard to 1/125 figures for the Blue Devil, has anyone located a reliable source for such detail pieces?
I am not quite ready for them as yet, but any preliminary info would be most appreciated!
Many thanks to all, in advance!

crazygary

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2015, 02:38:39 am »

And a great big warm welcome to CG (Crazy Gary). girls and guys this new member is a source of inspiration for me and his builds of ships are second to none. Welcome aboard and may you partake in some of your great modelling techniques that you have shown and shared with me.
Now you can start posting some pictures of Ingersoll to a forum where they will be much appreciated.
Cheers - Armo. :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:45 am »

Welcome Gary, so what is Ingersoll? Pop it in a new topic to give it space to flourish
Pond weed is your enemy

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2015, 10:09:47 am »

New member to the forum, here!

With regard to 1/125 figures for the Blue Devil, has anyone located a reliable source for such detail pieces?
I am not quite ready for them as yet, but any preliminary info would be most appreciated!
Many thanks to all, in advance!

crazygary

You could try 'N' gauge model rail figures. From memory the Blue Devil was 1:125, I've just read N gauge is 1:148.

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2015, 02:30:27 pm »

Gidday Ingersoll is a US Fletcher Destroyer and Gary is modelling the ship as she was in the Vietnam era when he was there. He will no doubt let us all know about her but he is doing a terrific job on her so far she will be very pleasing to the eye as he is or has had to make so many modifications to enable him to model the ship of that period after all of her refits.
cheers Armo.

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2015, 03:41:53 pm »

Giiday, All! I thank yah for the kind words, Brother Armo!! I'm just a crazy old Yank that enjoys modeling, even though being a bit of a detail "nut"! Hah! Careful, me brother, or I may become a "legend in my own mind"!! Hahaha!!

USS Ingersoll, DD-652, is a US Navy Fletcher Class Destroyer. I chose her to model my Lindberg Blue Devil after, as she was a fellow Vietnam veteran at around the same time as I was in country. Just seemed a bit appropriate. She underwent numerous post-war refits in the mid-1950s' which included the removal of her #3 5"-38 gun, and replaced with a 3"-50-cal anti aircraft gun, as well as a number of additional upgrades. I will, at some point, begin a build thread on her once there are sections of her actually worth seeing. Hah! Pretty boring at this point, she is!

Thanks to you, Pondweed, for the tip regarding figures for the 1/125 ships. "N-scale", I believe is 1:160 which would work out pretty well in physical size, so I shall give that a good look. There is a company called "PeopleScale" who produce figures "by height", and their 3/32" scale figures measure about 9/16" in height, which would be the closest to being correct as I have found. Another possible source of figures there.

Happy modeling and a very good day to all!!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2015, 04:25:19 pm »

I've just picked up another of these great models from ebay for no money - it's a project where someone has tried to convert it into a waterline model - looks like they did it with an AXE!  :o

Luckily, they abandoned the vandalism before it became bin-fodder so I have to tidy up the butchered edges and recreate the bottom of the hull.
Whilst I'm there, I'll add an extra few mm of freeboard to make it easier to get the mass lower to increase stability.

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »

An excellent find there, plastic!!
Good on yer!!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »

Hull Challenge!

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:44 pm »

JAYsus!! Quite the bloody hack job there, eh!!
My thoughts and prayers to yah, me brother!! Hah!!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2015, 08:52:18 pm »

:o :o :o :o :o <:( <:( I think Sweeny todd had a go at that. But seriously, the hull is a good old 2mm thick in most places and so you cannot be subtle with it. Sawing or chain drilling is the only real answer to cutting it, or in the previous owners case, a spoke shave :D . I wish you the best of luc restoring her as the hull is very versatile. I could see any number of WW2 destroyers being built on that as a basis plus a few WW1 classes also.

Gary, the only boring bit is the empty bench from after you have finished your project and have not stared the new one yet:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:49 pm »

Gary,

Whilst your location is USA,  O0  where are you from originally?????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »

Gidday, "Gunner"!

I am originally from San Francisco, l-o-n-g before the LGBT set began to take over the city!! Hah!!
The neighborhood in which I was born and grew up in, is their "epicenter", if you will.

I am currently living in the foothills of Clovis, CA, about 35 miles (22km?) northeast of the city of Fresno, California.
Roughly a 4-hour drive from the "Big City"! Beautiful up here in the hills. If not for the terrible drought we have been enduring for the past 4 years, t'would be quite lush and green! Still plenty of beautiful oak and ponderosa pine trees to marvel at!

The creek that my wife and I have running through our property has not seen water in many a year!! Hah!! No tadpoles and very few frogs remaining! Still a nice place for we retired folks to live!

I've a great mate whom I met through the modeling community who lives in Injune, Queensland!! Goes by the name of "Armo"!! Just like a true blood brother to me, he is!! Wonderful bloke!!

Where exactly are you in OZ?? I have visited Sydney, while on R&R from Vietnam, and absolutely love yah country!! Wonderful people!!
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie! OY, OY, OY!!!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2015, 02:33:16 am »

Gary,

Was intrigued by your style of speech which is not typical Yank. A bit laid back. :-)) :-))

Thought you may have brushed shoulders with Aussies and it has rubbed off on you.

I am in Queensland as is Armo who is out west, Brisbane being the capital city, So I am East of Armo  on the coast.

In a past life had occasion to travel out west and throughout the state including Injune.

Brisbane is a bit more sedate than Sydney.

Have one of those Blue Devils and will be following your build, mine is in the "to do" basket.

Think we now have Aussie Mayhemmers from all of the States, Don't know about the Northern Territory (NT)

Welcome aboard O0 O0 :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2015, 03:15:32 am »

Hey Gary......I am just down the road a piece ...just south of Sydney.......which as you also know is just a bit further down the road a bit from Brisbane in Queensland  O0

I am pretty sure your OZ mate Armo...is a member of a Scale Warship Modelling Association group based in Brisbane .....

Going from a 5"-38 - cal gun, and replaced with a 3"-50-cal anti aircraft gun is a radical change........I have worked on larger FMC  5"-54 cal mounts as installed on our HMA DDG's which were of course built in the USA.........

Anyway .....as RAAArtyGunner says...welcome onboard :-)) .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2015, 04:04:49 am »

Derek,

Correct me if I am wrong, the Anti Aircraft Gun would have a shorter barrel, by 40 inches but higher Muzzle Velocity, Y/N

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2015, 05:24:47 am »

RAAArtyGunner.....well yes & no..... ;)

3" x 50 calibre = 150" effective barrel length
5" x 38 calibre = 190" effective barrel length

So yes the 3" mount [by design] would be able to punch out more rounds per minute....however the actual MV is another calculation  :o ...which is governed by the shell casing charge & type of propellant  <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2015, 06:57:12 am »

I will agree as am not a Naval person, :o :o however and there is always a however, O0 O0 increased barrel length aids Muzzle velocity, being simplistic pistol V rifle. %) %)

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »

A gidday to all!

Yeah, "Gunner"! I have, indeed, become quite fond of the Aussie speech, especially from the ladies!! Hah!!
Something endearing about it, although I have been told that we Yanks are the ones with the "accent", eh!!?? Hahaha!!
Ever since R&R in Sydney, back in 1969, I swore I would return to Australia once again, but at 68, Such a trip may well
not happen!!?? However,one never knows, eh!! Would very much like to see the Northern Territory!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.