Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175550 times)

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2015, 09:12:38 am »

Hi All

I've been away for while the wife and life had other ideas for my spare time. I'm pleased to see this topic I started is still going strong. I love seeing the pictures of other members builds.

Gary the figures for my model were borrowed on a permanent basis from a revell U boat kit boat the cut out one and converted to resemble US Navy. I believe monogram sea view model is same scale with figures. 1/128 is my preferred scale and I have yet to find any figures to suit you can buy of the shelf

Happy modelling i'll be back soon with a new project very soon

Glen

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »

Looking forward to see what that might be!
Pond weed is your enemy

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:05 am »

Giiday Glen and I look forward to seeing your new Project also.
ANY HINTS?

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: May 18, 2015, 10:39:19 am »

just sent to the US a 1/128 Fletcher  USS Johnston . Also a Butler class  DE in this scale. I have many fittings in this scale which are not shown on my site but are available until they are gone. Fleetscale sell my hulls
john@johnrhaynes.com

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

it will probably be a carrier which on yet I don't know what this space

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: May 19, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »

A Carrier eh okay that will be great. Something to match my Nimitz and Allan's Enterprise hopefully.
Good luck with the build.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2015, 07:38:28 pm »

I think they offer the best of both internal detail modelling and large warship building, so I wish you well on your next build:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2015, 03:57:28 am »

Hello Fellow Shipmates,
Yes still here in Injune Queensland Australia building my models albeit of model aircraft at this time. I have however been building another Fletcher and have nearly finished her along with a newly installed Smoke Unit which was purchased from Down Under and seems to work very well. I did a Glen D and wired the smoke to the throttle control so that the more throttle the more smoke. The pictures of my USS Kidd are a tester on the Forum to make sure I have the correct setting on my camera to post again.
She still has the Port towards the Stern Deck Railings to be installed, Her underneath the Hull filled in and smoothed and then her final coat of paints and touch ups. She will then be ready for her first sail down at the local Billabong. We have had some rain so she is full and waiting for my to arrive along with the Fletcher. A Sovremenny Nr 789 will also be given her maiden voyage.
I still have the Lanzhou Chinese Frigate and still have to add her deck railings to finish her off also. Just me being a Lazy fellow.
Ok let us try these pictures and will post again if working when the USS Kidd is completed.
She is seen here in her 1945 Cammouflage. Some of you might remember McGowan another Fletcher I did. I am pleased to say that she has gone to a very good new owner who likes her immensely.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2015, 11:35:37 am »

Well, they worked pretty well. I can see the detail quite well and look forwrd to seeing the rest of your fleet.
Pond weed is your enemy

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2015, 07:33:21 pm »

...With regard to 1/125 figures for the Blue Devil, has anyone located a reliable source for such detail pieces?
I am not quite ready for them as yet, but any preliminary info would be most appreciated!
Many thanks to all, in advance!

CrazyGary already knows about this, but there are now some very excellent 1:125 USN WWII figures very well-suited for the Lindberg Blue Devil and other ships in the scale (Lindberg Minesweeper, Lindberg LCT, Revell Calypso {if you desired to modify it back into a YMS minesweeper}, etc.).
They're 3D printed from Shapeways.com--two sets, one in casual "dungarees" with "Dixie Cup" sailor hats and the other with added combat gear of M1 helmets and life jackets.
They had already existed in 1/144 and other scales but yours truly was instrumental in getting these re-sized to 1/125 as all it takes is a request sent to the designer. I've already received my 'Combat' set and they are very nice and crisply printed; facial expressions and clothing texture are well represented as well as separate heels on their shoes. I can even see their tiny thumbs separate from the other fingers.
 :o

Glad to see that more than a few are in gunner and passing-ammunition-clip poses....

http://www.shapeways.com/product/X469BGRVA/1-125-us-navy-dungaree-set-1?li=marketplace&optionId=57295305
http://www.shapeways.com/product/K8TPMHZYA/1-125-us-navy-sailors-combat-set-2?li=search-results-1&optionId=57295315

~Harq

crazygary

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fletchers forever!!
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2015, 07:41:56 pm »

Sounds good, Harq!! Thanks for the "heads up"!
I've ordered a few items from Shapeways, and everything I have from them is first rate!!

Going to their website now to check "em out!!

Have a good one!

Gary

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:31 pm »

I posted this same info on Lindberg Fletcher, the Yahoo group. I thought you were tracking on this.  {-)

Incidentally, I ordered them in Frosted Ultra Detail, the cheapest option. Saw no need for the Frosted Extreme. Also, a welcome mistake on their part, I ordered 30 and got an extra 30; 60 total figures!

:-))
~Harq

Andy R

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2015, 03:01:53 pm »

Thinking about making my Lindberg Melvin a single rudder... Does anybody know and can post the actual rudder dimensions?

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: October 14, 2015, 11:45:33 am »

Hello Andy R,
My Fletcher the USS Kidd is a Single rudder as used in real life by the Kidd.
She sails very well and I just guessed the dimensions really so this is what I have which works well
4 cm in Length and 3 cm starting at the top of the rudder and tapering into 2cm for the bottom of the rudder.
Cheers

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2015, 02:26:31 pm »

Hello Armo 61,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I will make a rudder from brass to your dimensions and try it.
I also have decided to remove the plastic railing from above the bridge like you did on your Kidd.  I'm guessing that the Lindberg designer in the 60's may have tried to make the railing appear as canvas over pipe railings, but the way you did yours looks much better.  It appears that you did not try to mimic the circular tub underneath the director.  I probably will do the same as I have been unable to find those dimensions.
Regards,
Andy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: October 14, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

Hi guys I have enclosed a picture of the rudder fitted on my 1/96 scale model. Also enclosed second picture with Gambier Bay both models are 1/96 scale. The Fletcher kit is from Deans Marine and is about 45 in in length powered by 2 6 volt motors driving 1.5 in props hope you enjoy.

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: October 14, 2015, 05:05:12 pm »

last picture.

Stan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: October 14, 2015, 09:41:09 pm »

Ooh, I like that flat top Stan:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2015, 04:03:44 pm »

On the first try I cut the brass to the wrong angle.  On the second try the brass rudder seemed to be much too heavy.  The third try was made from laminating layers of styrene sheet, milling the outside dimensions, and then sanding.  The shaft is a brass tube 3/16-in. OD, with a 1/4-in. square solid brass core sticking up 3/8-in. to allow connection to an as-yet unmade lever.
But I can't figure out yet how to post the photo.

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

I've read a lot about posting photos on this site so here's another try:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2015, 08:05:13 pm »

They are looking good Andy.......just a thought, when you are doing the final positioning of the prop shafts [within the prop tubes] it's best to have the slim profile locknuts installed

So just with the longitudinal alignment free & placing no running or binding stresses........here is an image from the same thread below....

As double indemnity, some also use a light smear of low strength Loctite threadlok ........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »

Hi seeing the Melvin brings back memories from many moons ago. I bought mine from a model shop in York never built it moved straight on to the Deans Marine kit. I have enclosed a picture from  last Sunday at our home water. The disruptive pattern worked very well with the model sailing in foggy conditions

Stan

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #347 on: November 06, 2015, 01:09:06 am »

Derek,
Thanks for the advice about the locknuts on the shaft.  I still am wrestling with the idea of installing the 45-degree braces at the shaft supports as shown on yours.  Others in the thread have warned about the potential obsession with fixing the Lindberg kit and I certainly have started down that road.  Glen Davis wrote encouragement regarding keeping the twin rudder and I'd be a lot farther along if I had followed his advice.
Stan,
Your Dean's Marine destroyer is gorgeous.  If I had only known...  The Melvin is what I knew about having assembled one (quite badly) in 1965.  Glen Davis' description of his build (especially the smoke!) had been my motivation.
Andy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:02 am »

HI Andy R thank you for your comments on my model. Do we have any pictures of your project? P/M also sent.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #349 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »

Stan,
No more photos just yet. I'll post a few to keep this thread started by Glen Davis alive. 
I'm working on cleaning up the deck while waiting on couplings from Cornwall Model Boats across the pond. I'm doing many of the revisions that Glen Davis did; modifying the approach to a few and a few more that he didn't do.  My intent was just to add R/C and the Toms Modelworks filigree, but seeing other Fletchers done like the pictures you posted of your Fletcher class with the carrier Gambier Bay make me want to do a better job.
One item recently done was to raise the pedestal of the director.  Somebody mentioned that it sits too low to rotate to full broadside, and sure enough, after check fitting that is true.  I looked at lots of photos of Fletchers, and originally decided to remove the railings to solve that problem, but when at sea the canvas covers made them all look like the railing is solid.  So I've left it alone and raised the pedestal for the director.  If I remember to take a picture I'll post it next week.
Andy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.