Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion  (Read 175551 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Melvin Lindberg Kit R/C Conversion
« Reply #350 on: November 06, 2015, 04:24:46 pm »

HI Andy this may be of some help if building the Melvin.

Stan.

graham2666

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #351 on: November 08, 2015, 04:06:25 pm »

Hi guys,
New to this forum, just purchased a Lindberg Blue devil, and collecting the running gear for conversion to rc. Going to be using two motors, can you help with the length of the 2mm prop shafts I will need. Many thanks.

Robert Davies

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #352 on: November 08, 2015, 06:38:08 pm »

Andy R, don't overthink the running gear. Only the last four ships in the class had twin rudders (experimental for the ensuing Gearing class I'm told) A single rudder is easier to setup for RC, and in my experience on the water, allows the ship to handle very well indeed!

Motor to 2mm shaft couplings. I've been using some fine bore model diesel fuel tube. It just works  :-)

Motors? Mabuchi 280 x 2 bolted to the kit's motor plate mount. Performance is MORE than adequate!

Battery 4 cell sub C 5000mah (4.8v nominal rating) I have no honest idea how long the runtime is because it lasts that long.

One last tip. DO NOT MAKE THE DECK REMOVABLE! Fix and seal the deck to the hull and make the deck houses and superstructures demountable.
Doing this has allowed me to sail my Fletcher in quite extreme weather, whilst only shipping half a teaspoonful of water.

Those are my recommendations based on experience of sailing a Lindberg Fletcher.

In fact I got commissioned to build another 'sailer'  on the basis of my initial build(!)

graham2666

• Shipmate
« Reply #353 on: November 09, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »

Great advice received so far. Many thanks stan for the phone call, learnt a lot in 5 mins

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #354 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »

Here's mine during construction - 2 rudders, split deck - front half fixed - motors siliconed to the floor for lower C of G

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #355 on: November 12, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »

Last night I finished the tiller.  Now it's off to the RC shop to spend the big bucks ($).
Plastic, That's a nice build.  I see you left off the gun boots, which I have also done.

Graham, Thanks for the advice.
Andy

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:29 pm »

Stan,
I missed your post...not logged in the attachments don't show.  That's an interesting bit of info about the USS Melvin.  From what book was that?
Robert,
For some reason I thanked Graham for your contributions.  The running gear is almost the same as what Glen Davis did. I also glued in some 0.080-in styrene angle brackets to stiffen the kit's motor plate.
I'm also going to attach the hull like Glen Davis did.  I have marked and glued a shelf angle inside the hull made from 0.080-in. square styrene to support the deck.  Perhaps that will aid fit-up and reduce the amount of filler needed to improve the structural and watertight integrity.   I have made a bulkhead forward of the forward turret rotating lever to have some positive buoyancy in case of swamping.  I thought that I would "improve" upon what Glen did regarding keeping water out of the hull by gluing the walls to the floor instead of the second deck and omitting the interior coaming. So I did that with the aft deckhouse, but trial fitting revealed that the deck really needs the stiffness of the walls.  So the aft deck has stiffener plates glued to the underside of the second deck (adding weight up high!) and the forward and main cabins are attached to the second decks and there's a coaming like Glen's glued to the main deck openings.
Glen was correct in indicating that he may have rekindled an interest in the Lindberg Fletcher.  My kit has a part date-stamped 1-15-15, and the box is date-stamped 1-23-2015, so they did a recent production run.  I suspect that the owners of the Lindberg line assume that old men like me are building the kit, and are familiar with its construction,  because the instructions are very brief.  For example, there are parts but no instructions related to the turret rotation mechanism (which I will modify similar to Glen's modification) and parts but no instructions related to the cam mechanism (which I won't use anyway.)  There's even a note to look on the manufacturer's website for tips on converting to RC.  But the website does not even mention this kit.  So I very much appreciate all the contributions so far.
Andy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2015, 10:33:11 am »

there are parts but no instructions related to the turret rotation mechanism (which I will modify similar to Glen's modification) and parts but no instructions related to the cam mechanism (which I won't use anyway.)
I have noticed on other Lindberg kits that many of them have odd parts on sprues left over from previous issues with no mention in the instructions.  These are mostly internal items to locate prop shafts and tiller arms.  This is probably just a more extreme example.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2015, 04:57:00 am »

Adventures in radio control ... without yet opening the transmitter/receiver box.

Two trips to the local radio control shop ... with very poor help ... I finally have a battery, battery charger, and electronic speed control (ESC) all with compatible "EC3" connectors.  The ESC motor output uses "Tamiya 3.5mm plugs", so a set of those had to be also obtained and soldered to the motor leads.  Before soldering I checked the pair of 280 motors with a DC transformer to confirm counter rotation and that the mounting of the props was correct.  A pair of female pigtails was also soldered to allow connection to the smoke units already purchased.

The ESC is programmable with three functions.  Of course they are intended for planes and helicopters and not boats.  So which to select is a conundrum.  Certainly not "Forward/Brake", but not sure between "Forward/Brake/Reverse", and  "Forward/Reverse (Crawler Mode)".

I searched in the "Black Arts" and R/C" forums in Model Boat Mayhem and didn't find an obvious answer.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Andy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2015, 08:50:10 am »

Go for crawler mode - that one should have a direct transition from forward to reverse, just doing what you think the stick is telling it to do.
For connectors, you would probably have found lots of them in the local car accessory shop. 

graham2666

• Shipmate
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

Just getting some hardware together for my USS Melvin build. Its crossed my mind to install a sound system. Do you think a basic destroyer 'whoop whoop' would work.  On the other hand, maybe something more complex. Any ideas welcome, where to get something at a reasonable cost would be good.
Thanks Graham

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #361 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:24 am »

Just getting some hardware together for my USS Melvin build. Its crossed my mind to install a sound system. Do you think a basic destroyer 'whoop whoop' would work.  On the other hand, maybe something more complex. Any ideas welcome, where to get something at a reasonable cost would be good.
Thanks Graham
Although this is a big plastic kit, it still isn't huge.  A destroyer whoop would be great, but be careful that it can carry the extra weight without compromising stability while at the same time having the speaker where you can hear it at a reasonable distance.  A speaker that can be heard at a reasonable distance tends to be a relatively heavy item.  Mounting it low could reduce the volume, mounting it high could affect stability.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2015, 11:13:33 am »

If you put a traditional speaker in to a boat, they are very inefficient - less that 10% at best. The tiny little pcb-mounted mobile-phone style speakers may work well for you in this application - they weigh nothing, they are tiny and, as the whoop, whoop has no bass content, you don't need a large speaker. These speakers are very efficient and when coupled to a class D amplifier, take almost no power to drive quite loudly.

graham2666

• Shipmate
« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2015, 12:36:30 pm »

Thanks for your advice. Stan your telephone call much appreciated. More research required. I am very conscious about stability, I don't want it under water, full of electronic gizmo's!!!!!!!!.
Graham

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2015, 11:57:59 am »

HI  all you Lindberg model builders I have just found some information I received from the  the U S Embassy many years ago long before the internet. The document show the final journey of USS Melvin DD680.

Stan

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #365 on: November 11, 2016, 04:11:42 pm »

About a year ago I wrote about the potential obsession with fixing the Lindberg kit and I admitted starting down that road.  It's not as bad as it could be because it's my rainy-day project and it hardly rains in Southern California.  But I have made a bat-wing 40mm director platform for the aft stack, made a lot of modifications to the bridge (with more to come), moved the cranes to positions more appropriate to the Melvin, and lengthened the guns to be 38 caliber. Since this work commenced there have come on the market some extraordinarily expensive computer-printed detail parts (Shapeways) and I have been tempted by the anchors.  I wonder how durable these are, considering that this is a R-C model and not a museum piece.  If any Mayhemers have experience with these or similar parts, please offer advice?
Thanks.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2018, 06:18:27 pm »

So - just building yet another of these great kits - my third one.

This was a Christmas present that I've thrown this together since the new year.

Motors are 280 brushed with twin ESC and 6v racing pack with 2mm shafts with plastic props - this time I'm trying tank steering with no rudder servo.

The Tom's Modelworks photo-etch railings arrived this afternoon so I'll get busy with the superglue over the next few days.

Trying a different waterline to drop the bow lower in the water.

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2018, 01:35:08 am »

A rare rain in Southern California allowed time to work on the Melvin. 
This is my approach to the servo and linkage to the rudder.  It has been checked for clearance under the deck, and operates well with the radio transmitter.
The preview didn't show the photo so this will be interesting.

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:49 am »

Hey, it worked!
Here's the ESC and receiver mounting. 
The receiver is set in a plastic box to allow the antenna to rise up through the mast. 
The ESC is screwed to circular styrene pedestals that were glued to the hull.
There is a bulkhead made from styrene sheet that lines up with the forward edge of the central deckhouse.

Andy R

• Shipmate
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2018, 01:47:37 am »

The R/C guts of Melvin have all checked out and everything runs well, so I have glued the deck to the hull and am filling all of the gaps and holes.  I modified the bulwark, cutting room, and 20mm gun splinter shield just like Glen Davis did and it really improves the appearance of the model. 

I hope that it rains again; Please, oh please, oh please! and then I will be stuck inside and can do some more work on  Melvin.  This seems to be a build that may never be complete.  I envy "Plastic" that he can build in so short of time as he described a few posts ago.  But then again I built my first Melvin in one day (1964).

berrygoat

• Shipmate
« Reply #370 on: July 08, 2020, 01:04:21 am »

Hey Gang, new here.  Any way to see all of GlenDavis1971 photos without the annoying"photobucket" banner ?  About to start my Blue Devil in a week or two and this thread is FANTASTIC !!!!!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #371 on: July 08, 2020, 06:41:12 am »

Good luck with you build. Are you going to apply a total blue colour scheme to your model? I had this kit many many years ago but never got round to building it. I decided to build the 1/96 scale Deans Marine Fletcher.

Stan.

Artfull dodger

• Shipmate
« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2020, 12:56:01 am »

I just got one of the reissue BD kits as a Christmas gift from my wife after we watched Greyhound a few weeks ago.  I wonder if this movie will rekindle interest in Fletcher class modeling?   While mine will not even come close to rivaling some of the great models in this long running thread.  I did find many great tips, where to get proper screws, deck sealing and combing to make her seaworthy.   Mine will carry the fictional name USS Keeling from the movie, as well as that destroyers number and paint scheme.  I might get this one done before I get back to my Dumas Army Tug kit.    AD

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2020, 06:50:50 pm »

HI WELL i built two of these as the first one i put on the roof of my car to unlock the door no infared in those days an a big gust of wind blew the model off my car an it smashed to bits
build another an it sailed great

chris

Andy R

• Shipmate
relocated aft torpedo crane
« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2021, 08:12:44 pm »

I relocated the aft torpedo crane based upon photos in books and on the world-wide-wait.  I also fabricated a shelter for the torpedomen out of scrap.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.