Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what have I done wrong ??  (Read 10543 times)

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
what have I done wrong ??
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:39 am »

Just taken the boat out after fitting water cooling to test...........water cooling didn't work, even after following instructions and other posts on here..

Can someone offer any idea what is wrong ??
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: what have I done wrong ??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:40 am »

Hi CJ, pitty about your cooling not working,
you seem to have done everything correctly.Are you using silicone tube from your pick-up, & outlet as it can tend to
collapse on tight bends closing off the tube. just a thought.

john

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:30 am »

can you post some pics of your cooling layout.  I had problems when I put the outlet too high up and there was not enough pressure
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »

To work effectively, the pick up needs to be directly behind the rotating disc of the propeller, not neccesarily on the centreline, and not directly behind the prop hub. this ensures maximum thrust through the pick up. Natural flow as the model moves through the water is not enough in itself to push the water up the scoop and around the system.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »

Relocate the inlet pickup on the centre line of the prop and shaft with a few mm's of clearance from the spinning prop. You must use the thrust of the prop wash to force flow for cooling. I would also increase the size of the opening in the pickup fitting but without shortening it any further. The fitting ideally should be a little longer to obtain the full effect of the thrust from the tip of the prop but it will probably be ok providing you enlarge it's opening.  :-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:24:48 pm »

I'll go with the majority on this. your inlet tube is to short and it should be just off centre of the prop.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

ACTion

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »

It would also be a good idea if you can contrive for the hole in the inlet to face directly into the flow. The one shown is at only 45 degrees which not only reduces the potential pickup but is in danger of allowing Bernoullli's Effect to create 'negative pressure' and actually suck the water out of the inlet. (Go on, Dicky - read it up on Wickipedia!).
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

Before you change anything, I would suggest you  put it in the bath with only a short bit of silicon tubing  connected to the pickup tube and hang it over the transom, rev up the motor and see if you get any flow of water.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »

Nay Martin, that's a common sense approach  {-) You'll be telling us next that he could also fine tune the system to get maximum flow using the same method.  %%

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »

Thanks guys,

I have found a kink and small split in the silicone tube, which may have contributed....but I do like Martin's approach before drilling out and putting more holes in the hull  <:( .

Will try and bath test and see what happens ......if not will have to go for something far more drastic !!!

Will let you know what happens !!

Cheers

CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 04:18:42 pm »

some pics of the cooling over on the refurb posting can be found http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37569.0

CJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 05:59:31 pm »

It would also be a good idea if you can contrive for the hole in the inlet to face directly into the flow. The one shown is at only 45 degrees which not only reduces the potential pickup but is in danger of allowing Bernoullli's Effect to create 'negative pressure' and actually suck the water out of the inlet. (Go on, Dicky - read it up on Wickipedia!).
DM

Come on Dude, you know my problem is with electrics not plumbing. :-)) :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

Before you change anything, I would suggest you  put it in the bath with only a short bit of silicon tubing  connected to the pickup tube and hang it over the transom, rev up the motor and see if you get any flow of water.

You could do the same with the silicone tubing connected up Martin.

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:27 pm »

One other thing you could do is as follows get a syringe and back fill the cooling tube with water so ther is water allready in the system,I have had this problem before and I cured it by doing this,es I know t is a paint in the derrier to do everytime BUT a lot easier then having to redrill everytime.You can do this in the bath to prove it works

Dave

PS glad to see from your other thread you had soldered the electrical crimps

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:43:11 pm »

There's an idea I hadn't thought of actually Dave....might load it and blow through in the bath, worth a try at least. And yeah, all soldered nice and tight  :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »

Nay Martin, that's a common sense approach  {-) You'll be telling us next that he could also fine tune the system to get maximum flow using the same method.  %%

Regards   Ian

Ah Mayhem rules  :-)) :-)) %% %% {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 09:07:04 pm »

OK Gents - HELP  >>:-(

Sorted the split, no difference, so popped the tube off and there was no pressure there at all, didn't even leak !!!

So.......Opened the end up, moved the inlet to the middle, and tried again....OK so water  spurts into hull, so reconnect tube and realign into the centre of the hull.

Now bath test and I have water "dribbling through" - now please laugh if you wish as I am no expert on water cooling !! But after 5 or so mins running in the bath holding her, motor smoked as per previous and got very flipping hot.

Now, did the water cooling not work as there was no flow of the hull through the water - and it is incorrect to hold the hull ?  I do know the answer to that one !! (doh) %% ? or was the dribble the best I am to expect ? In which case what am I doing wrong.

Regards   Ian

Interested to see how I can get maximum flow fine tuning ??

I will try and test on the lake over the weekend but would be interested on what everyone's thoughts are !!

Cheers

CJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:03 pm »

PM sent.....  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 08:11:26 pm »

I'd open up more of the tube facing the prop, more like a slot than a hole in the end.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »

:-))

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:26 am »

I think you have a different problem, in that the prop is too big for that motor, that is why its getting hot.

Can anyone provide the specs of the Kestral IE rpm at 12 volts.

There are several options, reduce the voltage, use a smaller propeller, gear the motor, replace the motor with something that has a lower RPM at that voltage.

Cheers
Nick

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 02:53:17 am »

I think Nick is right.

I have had 2 of these boats and the props were definitely a much finer pitch and about 35mm diameter.

Kestral
[163]

High torque medium, speed motor with a low current consumption. Best use in fast, light, planing models such as M.G.B.s etc. Can be fitted to an Olympus belt drive for large heavy models such as Liberty ships, and Battleships.

Power range 4.8 to 12 volts

R.P.M @ 6v 5500   free running amps 3amp
Spec. 5 pole.

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:13 pm »

also what is the bore of the tubing you are using if its snaderd fuel piping then i fined this to be to restrictive and personly use 3.2mm id or 4mm id from prestwich models

neer the bottom of the page

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/hdwraccs.htm

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »

Cheers chaps,

The silicone tube is standard (2.8mm "ish) so yeah can order some of that up, and can open up the inlet so more flow in.

Richard, I know you said before 35mm prop, on previous post.....the only one who did to be fair so will give that a try also as she is getting stupidly hot after 10 mins run time, I am sure that isn't helping matters but not strictly stopping the flow of water - or is it ??

CJ

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:09 am »

I have been having the same issues with my Huntsman i get some water flow but not enough... I ended up adding a screen washer pump into the cooling circut.  A 12V pump running at 4.8 V seems to give a nice flow.  The pump is then operated via a switch on the TX
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.