Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Thanks to John Cundell of Model Boats ( Oh, and some new Website! )  (Read 17734 times)

Captain Anonymous

Re: Big Thanks to John Cundell of Model Boats ( Oh, and some new Website! )
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2007, 09:12:23 am »

I feel part of this site because I support it by contributing and a small financial donation when this site needed it

BOB, DO YOU HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING EVERYONE THAT YOU GAVE MARTIN MONEY , its all down to money these days, commercial or not, the more modelboating sites the better, dont get stuck in the MUD.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2007, 09:31:15 am »

Hi All, as per normal, what happens on Mayhem's Forum, we have two topics running on one thread -  ;D - one discussing the Model Boats New Forum and one discussing subscribing to model boats magazine.  So, first topic first; the new Model Boat forum I personally find hard to navigate around - but I have no doubt, after we have used it a few times it might become easier to use as you become familiar with it - I must admit myself, I prefer the old style layout of the 'old' Model Boats Forum.  Its the old saying better the devil you know than the devil you dont (and by hell there are a lot of little devils on here  ;D).

Subscribing to Model Boats:  Ive subscribed to Model Boats for a few years now and I also used to sub. to Marine modelling.   I dropped the Marine Modelling one in favour of the Modelling Boats though cause they tended to duplicate articles.   Having said that though, I still rush out every month to go and buy it in case I miss anything.

I am a natural horder of modelling boat magazines (amongst other things).    I can go back to when Vic Smeed and John C first took over and the style of magazine then - and in the early days the magazines tended to be (to me anyway) more interesting with a wider variety of topics etc., in there.

aye John E
Bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2007, 10:13:04 am »

First of all our best wishes to john Cundell in his retirement though I doubt he will stay away from Model Boats (the items not the magazines) he has done a lot for this hobby certainly more than most and yes he has been paid for it but it was done with a passion which is all that counts so best wishes for retirement John.
Secondly the new forum and website if we see the bigger picture, yes its commercially run but there again so is the magazine and I am sure everyone on here has found at least one interesting article in the past, I am sure though Mayhem will remain the premier forum and I think it should as we have such an enthusiast/s at the helm Martin and Bradders and we will continue to support it and Martin but lets not forget that positives come from MB on line
1 magazine subscripting is easier and lets face it, its far easier having it delivered than a trip to the WHS in the hope its in stock.
2 the magazine has been around long before the Internet and I am sure there is many non Internets who would miss it and many surfers for that mater if it wasn't around. To stay around it has to move with the times as lets face it maybe all magazines will be on the web in years to come,  but lets not forget the plans service it has or had and I trust will be back (I haven't looked at the site yet) I suppose its just a natural progression to put back what was there last time hence the forum.

So whilst I cant see Mayhem losing out in any way whatsoever lets just use whats available on MB, give constructive help only not criticism and enjoy the hobby
Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
Old verses the New
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2007, 11:47:01 am »

Now that you have all had a look at the new MB website why not compare it to the old site:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050319091108/http://www.modelboats.co.uk/

This is the link to the old site archived in 2005 (just before it became necessery to have an account to access the forum) in my opinion the new forum has much to be desired and is not a patch on what it used to be. :'( :'( :'(

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2007, 03:32:55 pm »

::)just have a look at the members on line at that time, do you recognise any of the names  ;D ;D some of us are never away from these Forums :P :P :P

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

kendalboatsman

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2007, 03:51:16 pm »

Well after an absence of 7 years from the hobby I just posted off a subscription form for Model Boats. I can only buy it at WH Smith and that means going to Solihull, Birmingham City Centre or The Fort Shopping Centre near the M6. All of them involve a special journey. As for the forum, well I never managed to get the advice I needed back then, so I won't be bothering with them now. Strangely the information that took two years on Model Boats Forum of asking and never getting a reply, was obtained within two weeks on this forum. Much better class of forum user.  :)

Clive :)

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2007, 04:07:25 pm »

::)just have a look at the members on line at that time, do you recognise any of the names  ;D ;D some of us are never away from these Forums :P :P :P

aye
john e
bluebird

Ha, ha, yep I seem to have spotted BlueBird on that list! Also... ChugBug, Colin H and Bob V I seem to recognise! :D :D :D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2007, 04:10:28 pm »

I feel part of this site because I support it by contributing and a small financial donation when this site needed it

BOB, DO YOU HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING EVERYONE THAT YOU GAVE MARTIN MONEY , its all down to money these days, commercial or not, the more modelboating sites the better, dont get stuck in the MUD.

Dont Knock Bob Bud theres alot of us feel the same. Plus hes given more helpful advice than most on here.
So we know you didnt donate anything to the running of this site, but if your wallet is as big as your capital letters you can still donate. There is a link on the main menu which says :

Donations to Mayhem upkeep

You will notice that this is not in capital letters and is therefore polite.

Richard

Said me bit.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2007, 05:07:58 pm »

Captain Anonymous,
You totally misunderstand my reasons.
The way this forum was incepted, and is still running is because of the membership on this forum.
The fact that we all give our time is the main reason for this forum being so sucessful.
AND
When the forum needed a bit of assistance, this made me fell MORE included.
Not everything is down to cash value my friend, but inclusion within a forum is as the advert says priceless.
Sorry if I was being too subtle for you  :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »

Now Now children behave or somebody may take your toys away  ;D ;D
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2007, 06:54:07 pm »

Still with us then Bob [Young at 6?]
Been using the spell checker I see.

Richard ;)

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2007, 06:55:36 pm »

Captain Anonymous,
You totally misunderstand my reasons.
The way this forum was incepted, and is still running is because of the membership on this forum.
The fact that we all give our time is the main reason for this forum being so sucessful.
AND
When the forum needed a bit of assistance, this made me fell MORE included.
Not everything is down to cash value my friend, but inclusion within a forum is as the advert says priceless.
Sorry if I was being too subtle for you  :)

Bob

Good on you, but you do have to throw it down our throat every so often, when it happened on the site, every one was saying, ive paid up, ive paid up, as if it was a badge, if every one had kept quiet about it Martin would have got my donation.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2007, 07:30:30 pm »

Captain Anonymous
If you remember the subject only came up as the link wouldn't work, so I asked if there was a reason why.
That in my only recollection of the subject.
Another point is quite simple, a commercial site is paid for from the company which is paid for by the advertisers.
This does mean that the site cannot be totally impartial.
He who pays the piper and all that, this site is not sponsored in this way as the members do make some donations so this site is not wholly sponsored by commercial funding.
If you require any further advice on commercial funding I will of course be happy to oblige, but think pm would be a more suitable medium for this.
I am of course so glad that you have found a principal that enables you to keep your hands firmly in your pockets when you knew this site was under financial strain, and now publicise it.  Even if it meant the demise of this forum.
I assume you are a man of many principles then, as long as they mean you keep your hands deep in your pockets.
As long as it pleases you.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2007, 07:45:51 pm »

I don't think we were trying to blow our own trumpets when we said we'd paid up. We were just expressing our support. solidarity and thanks to Martin and hoping to encourage les autres. Obviously in some cases it didn't work...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2007, 07:54:03 pm »

You are wasting your time Bob he's never going to get what you're on about.
No wonder he wants to be anonymous.

Richard ???

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 08:50:34 pm »

I have reported myself to bradders, this isnt what I want from this forum.
Thats my lot on this subject, for me this thread is now Closed.
Self regulation, wow, I must be finally growing up.  :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2007, 09:47:05 pm »

You are wasting your time Bob he's never going to get what you're on about.
No wonder he wants to be anonymous.

Richard ???

This is one of the problems of this site, you all speculate and think your right, as for keeping my hands in my pocket, ask New Brighton life boat, ask Stevenage Inshore life boat there,s an artical in model boats as to what I raised, in the 24 hr events, also the Flower Class Corvette assocation. you might find out who I am, Martin knows, Martin gave me my name, after I left the site. ;D ;D

Bradders

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2007, 11:00:17 pm »

Hi gentlemen, not wishing to spoil the fun, please can we keep this thread on track, it started as a thank you to John Cundell as he will be retiring shortly.

Thanks
Bradders.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2007, 11:48:08 pm »

Actually it started as model boats web site is up and running.....

Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2007, 07:27:48 am »

Well to get back on track, I agree with a Big Thanks to John Cundell, as he says he has seen out several owners.
My best wishes also go to John Freshney in his new appointment.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bee

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2007, 01:58:21 pm »

I may have missed it but the MB site does not have a link to the Plans site so without JC's helpful link at the beginning of this thread many people would not know about it. The links at the bottom don't include it, and oddly enough one I tried did not have a reciprocal link though the website was from the same mould.

On the MB forum subject, I notice they use the registration name as the forum name but one person managed to get a one word 'handle'. Is this just by using first name and space in surname? I'm sure many people would want to use the same name here and there.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2007, 02:02:20 pm »

If you want to use the same name enter it in nickname in "your details"

Richard ;)

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 06:02:17 pm »

Numbers are growing, mayhem members are joining. ;) ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2007, 06:12:58 pm »

Numbers are growing, mayhem members are joining. ;) ;)
Yes you are right but the web site is bl**dy hard work, and I see their chappie that runs it was having a dig at people who were moaning because it was not as before.

Richard ;)

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2007, 06:53:04 pm »

A lot of the guys that are on this site was on the old MB site, they have got used to this one now, I remember all the moans when this site first opened.

Vinnie,s  got a hard job on his hands to entice you all back and be happy, most want it as it was before, as far as I know he did not run it, but he,s trying his best, you should all give him a chance, its only a week or so. ;) ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.