Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke Oil  (Read 4015 times)

morton

• Shipmate
Smoke Oil
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

Hi, I am looking for some advice,what type of smoke oil is best. I was told baby oil, and then I bought seuthe dampf destillat, it was no better. I tried putting two or three drops in and it made no difference
john.

Hi John,

I've changed your title subject as you were running two threads with the same title. Hope you don't mind.

ken

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
Re: Smoke Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:10:04 pm »

Hi,i have used 3 in 1 oil before or try veg oil !!
baloo

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:51:02 pm »

I use outdoor's lamp oil. It works Ok  :-)) I will be at Mayhem this weekend and will have the smoke gen i made with me if you want a demo :-)
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:48:17 am »

I put a drop of the lawn mowers dip stick really black oil lots of carbon into my oil smokers this gives the black soot smoke instead of the white smoke two teaspoons of 3-1 oil to one teaspoon of peanut oil one drop of used engine oil i use the outdoor g scale model train oil as well some times tassie48

morton

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:24:48 am »

hi, thanks for the information,the one i use has a small pipe in the funnel which you put the oil in, what is outdoor lamp oil,

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:46:50 pm »

hi, thanks for the information,the one i use has a small pipe in the funnel which you put the oil in, what is outdoor lamp oil,

Lamp oil. This is sold at Garden centers to use on wick type outside flame lamps. It is made by Ambria , Patio. I think it is made in France but you can get it in the UK. :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

seegull

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:18 am »

Try baby oil and kerosene will work a little smelly

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:38 pm »

There is no such thing as "smoke oil". Any oil combination if overheated can catch fire and will in any event leave a residue on the model. The best thing to use is fog fluid which is used in disco's etc. It's glycol based and non flamable. Virtually all the commercial smoke units use this (other than the water ionised ones). The early one's used various oils and that's how the name came to stick.

May I suggest that if you want to build your own unit have a look at "modelwarshipsunderway"  "how to" page. I published my design on there some years ago and some photo's.

Good luck

Geoff

morton

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:31:36 am »

HI,  HAS ANYONE TRIED USING SMOKE FOG,IF SO, WAS IT A SUCCESS? THANKS JOHN.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:58:50 am »

HI,  HAS ANYONE TRIED USING SMOKE FOG,IF SO, WAS IT A SUCCESS? THANKS JOHN.

Hi John.  If you mean a 'smoke' Fogger or Mister, these work really well, without heat and using just tap water.

This one is from Marks Model Bits, and will produce lot of 'smoke' for around an hour.  Smaller units are available.
See  http://www.marksmodelbits.com/

Bob
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »

What Bob has posted is in my opinion a far better way to produce a smoke effect. Pros, will run for an hr plus, uses less power , no oily residue, cons smoke does not hang so long. Cheap to make your own. John.

ukmike

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 06:16:16 pm »

Hi John.

I used to use smoke oil for my model planes, at first it was recovered hydraulic oil from helicopter gearboxes after servicing.

But later from a commercial supplier of stage smoke machines.

P.M. me and I will give you some web addresses.

There definitely is such things as smoke oils.

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.