Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cat for BMPRS class A racing  (Read 15640 times)

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
New Cat for BMPRS class A racing
« on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:29 am »

I originally designed this hull for twin outboards but have decided to build it and enter it for class A racing aswell
Iv just ordered an ASP 7.50cc nitro engine with genesis tuned pipe and manifold (which may need modding) i shall order the rest of the parts/hardware while i build the 1st hull,also need to build a radiobox but might mould 1 of these aswell for perfect fittment
So far iv built the plug and moulded it so prepping now to lay the 1st hull up
Im hoping to have the 1st done and built for the next race in september  :-))
This is how it looks so far but with without the rear upright cowls

And these are the moulds.just need some minor wetflatting & polishing up ready to build the 1st hull

Will update soon  :D

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Cat for BMPRS class A racing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:28:27 am »

You're a very naughty boy Daz.....got us drooling over it already  :-)) Those ASP 46's are really good engines and going great in A class thus far this season, certainly giving the CMB's, Picco's etc a run for their money and at about £70 delivered can't be bad.

Good luck with the project and...........Roll on September  :-))

Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:57 am »

Thanks Scoop
LOL be a good test for the hull aswell :-))
The engine,manifold and pipe should be here soon and seem good value for the money, sorting out the hardware now so should have pretty much everything ready for when the 1st hull is laid up
ill be making my own engine mounts myself also thinking twin fuel cells in the sponsons as it looks like that will fit nicely and help the handling
lots to do just hope all goes well and ill have it ready if it works out ok ill build 2 more for my boys for next season and they will be racing aswell with the same hulls :-))
 :-))

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »

Thanks Scoop
LOL be a good test for the hull aswell :-))
The engine,manifold and pipe should be here soon and seem good value for the money, sorting out the hardware now so should have pretty much everything ready for when the 1st hull is laid up
ill be making my own engine mounts myself also thinking twin fuel cells in the sponsons as it looks like that will fit nicely and help the handling
lots to do just hope all goes well and ill have it ready if it works out ok ill build 2 more for my boys for next season and they will be racing aswell with the same hulls :-))

Excellent news  O0
Scoop

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »

Looks good Daz good luck with it,still think this K&B would have been a better choice than that motor guess ill just stick it in one of my hulls  ;).
Mart

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »

Hey Mart
problem with the K&B is getting spares for them,no1 over here actually stocks the spares where with the ASP i can get all the spares no probs and for the money iv seen them go and like scoop stated they keep up with the cmb etc
i know 1 of the guys running 1 has had 1 about 18mths and hardly any issues with his  :-))

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:21:15 pm »

Hey guys,im hoping danny will chime in  :-))
Iv been looking and measuring up the fuel tanks iv managed to 24oz fuel tanks that will fit in the sponsons so will be 2 of these 1 in each sponson,but will these be big enough  for a 20min race ??????
Also any1 running surface drive setup if so what size props are you running ?????
 %)  

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:22 pm »

Hey guys,im hoping danny will chime in  :-))
Iv been looking and measuring up the fuel tanks iv managed to 24oz fuel tanks that will fit in the sponsons so will be 2 of these 1 in each sponson,but will these be big enough  for a 20min race ??????
Also any1 running surface drive setup if so what size props are you running ?????
 %)  
Hi Daz, I would have thought sub surface drive would have been better   :-)) how much is 24 oz in real money (ml ) ?
Scoop

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:23 pm »

Hi scoop
24oz is 681ml according to the converter
iv never run sub surface drive only surface drive on all my boats so i couldnt say  %)

A71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »

Looks very nice  :o look forward to seeing it

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:07:12 pm »

Hi Darren (you rang ...)
I've just measured my tank and it is 47 oz.  This does over half an hour with my ASP 46, with a bit to spare on a flat lake.
Although I have changed the carb to a CMB 21 one (8.5mm bore) to give me rc mixture control, it seems to have made little difference over the standard 8.0mm bore ASP carb, either in speed or fuel used (well, maybe a bit of extra speed)  ok2
I'm not sure how it will relate to the consumption on a cat, as presumably having less drag than a deep-V should mean less fuel used.
The throttle use will also effect the consumption - if you are throttling down for corners, that would decrease fuel used too.

So if you can get the 2 x 24oz tanks in, you should have more than enough for a race - then there's just the matter of keeping it the right way up ...  %%

Cheers
Danny

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »

Cheers A71  :-))

Hi danny
cool thanks for the info big help for sure i can fit the 24oz tanks in the sponsons just need to make mount for them but thats no bother ill use some wood for them for now
keeping it up the right way when the fuel tanks are running low on fuel could be fun LOL,but ill set the cg slightly forward to compensate for this
my only concern is making sure i got enough pressure for both tanks but ill use some T pieces to sort join the 2 tanks and see how it goes at that

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:26:27 am »

hi bud dont use t peaces you just need to set your feed to the carb on the first tank then the feed from the other tank to the ferst tank then your preshure feed from your tuned pipe goas to the second tank the presure will force the fuel from the secod tank to the ferst even when the second tank is epty as it will just act as a presure vesell for the primary  :-))

hope that makes sence lol

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:36:04 am »

Hey James
Got cha,never thought of doing that way DUH LOL %)

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 10:28:04 am »

Darren, a word of caution ...
If you have 2 full 24oz tanks in each sponson, you carry about 3 lbs weight distributed evenly.  If one tank feeds the other, after 15 mins racing you will have 1.5 lbs of fuel on one side and none on the other! Should prove interesting in the handling department!
Not sure about multiple fuel tanks as I've never used them, but i'm sure someone will come up with an easy solution.
Cheers
Danny

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:11 am »

Would a balance pipe from the bottom of each tank with a t piece feed to the carb and a top pipe to each tank with a t piece from the pressure feed
should keep the tanks equalised ?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »

ha ive done it in the past is to make sure that the main tank is the opesite side to your tuned pipe its never going to be eual but as the ferst tank draines away from the pipe side it will equalise somwat with the whait of the pipe

ive always had problems with  pipes linked with t peaces if one tank sloshes when geting low it can put air bubles into the pipe work

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 07:33:37 pm »

Cheers guys for your input
it looks like doing some experiment runs with different setups and see what works best at the minute its all trial and error and go from there  :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 12:06:31 am »

Theres no problem getting spares for k&b motors theyre available here but you had your chance  :}.
Mart

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/index.htm

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

LOL mart i wanted a uK supllier
I sent K&B an email months ago as i was looking into a nitro OB for the 32" F1 and got no reply from them so i wouldnt order anything of them if they cant be arsed to reply to an email when i asked a price for OB and shipping.
its sorted anyways ASP just arrived they sent the wrong pipe so gotta send it back to them they also gonna make me custom watercooled manilfold aswell :) sorted

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »

One way round the feed problems with twin tanks is to have both of them feed a small collector tank ( about size of 35mm film canister if anyone remembers film!) and then run the feed from this to the carb.

It is an old trick, as the saying goes, but it does work quite well.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »

Pressure feed split into two tanks, outputs on the tanks linked via a T piece and use a float chamber... Simple... :-))

Hull looks superb mate, let us know as to prices when you're done...

black magic racing

• Full Mayhemer
  • when winning is all . it stops being a hobby
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01:43 am »

hi daz,glad to see  you have almost finished the cat.looking good mate   all the best   kurt,,,say hi to little man lol :-))
FAST is never FAST enough
Black Magic Racing with BMPRS    Telford Model Boat Club
Birkenhead Model Power Boat club Vice Commodore

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 10:44:37 pm »

Hey guys been tied up with other things at mo so not had chance to reply
Cheers for the advice all will certainly take it all in and sort it when i get there just collected all the parts now,hardware is all ordered,engine rubbers for mounts,coupler and belt,just need to get the tanks ordered and starter etc so still lods to get and still need to mould the hatch and lay the 1st hull up :-))
Thanks for the comments as soon as im in a position to produce some ill post in the traders section
Hey Kurt will pass the message on LOL :-))

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:22:55 pm »

Hi guys slight change of plan iv decided to order another engine for the cat 10cc ASP is on its way but can still be used in the A class
Iv got something else a little speciall for the A class so start another thread of the build for it  :-)) 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.