Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Side trawler  (Read 6855 times)

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
Side trawler
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

Hi Boys. It's been a while since I put anything on this forum, But I thought some of the fishing boat builders might be interested in what I have been doing, So I thought I would put up some pictures of my latest build. I had a fibreglass hull given to me by a friend who purchased it some years ago but didn't do anything with it. I have continued to built it in fibreglass & Huon Pine for deck beams & structural reinforcements.  It will be a side trawler just over one metre in length I have it up to the stage of building the masts & winches & general fitting of railings & rigging & anything else I think it should have. I have powered it with a 12V 5pole Chinese built motor driving a 55mm 3 blade Raboesch propeller. Hope someone might be interested.

angus.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Side trawler
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:36 am »

that's a nice looking boat.........bet she'll sail well.
neil.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »

Nice workshop too.  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »

Hi Angus...Nice neat build, keep posting I,m following with interest.....Rod
trawlerman

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »

Nice workshop too.   <:(

looks a bit like mine.....clutter and dust everywhere..................think we should form a club............. the CND club............clutter and .dust   ...............at least I now have an ally against all you clean and tidy brigade {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:27:39 am »

Hi.  Thanks for the interest in the boat, I will keep you up to date with my progress. As for the workshop my wife tells me she hasn't seen a workshop so cluttered & dusty as mine. If I clean it up I will never find anything, I haven;t built in fibreglass before, You can soon make a lot dust with that stuff even with the dust extractor running it still seems to get everwhere.  I do clean it after I have finished the messy building projects.

angus. 

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:26 am »

That hull is from the pilot boat Frasinul, nice conversion, did the hull come from launceston by any chance?
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:06:34 am »

Hi.   I don't know where the hull was purchased & the friend said he didn't know what the design was from. I have googgled the  Frasinul & looked at the pictures of the boat, it could have been but I altered the hull which had the shape of an old Dutch coastal freighter with the sides of the hull cut out to deck level & the bow of the hull turned back. I raised the bow & stern to look like what I wanted & built from there. 

I will check with him to see if he can check that name out it might ring a bell with him.

Angus.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:14:17 am »

Your wife has obviously never seen Neils workshop, he can't find the floor never mind anything else, but he sure can build boats though, you should check him out, but don't look in his workshop you could never find him.I do think though that he likes been notorious.  Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:27:30 am »

NOTORIOUS !!!!!..................... I resemble that!!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »

Lovely shape Angus - I'll tag along with interest O0

Dave

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 10:50:42 am »

Hi boys. I thought I should fill you in on my latest project. The Emily Claire failed her first tank test, she was very unstable & rolled around far to much, So it was back to the drawing board to redesign the hull.I have tried to keep a similar shape to suit the super structure I have built for it. I have made it straighter in the sides of the hull & at the stern & 50mm more draught than it had originally, Also fitted stabilizers to the hull, I Had to add some ballast to get it down lower in the water  Then back to the test tank to check it out. It sits very nicely in the water now & without the roll it had before, I think it will be ok. I will continue building & then post some more pictures of the finished boat.  A few pictures of the redesigned hull attached, let me know what you think of it now.

Angus.     

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:05:02 am »

Angus.........don't be afraid of adding more ballast................fishing vessels are notorious for venturing out to see with decks almost awash, with the only freeboard being the Bulwarks...............most thse days have to travel far to search for fish because of the lack of the criters, and it is well known that the old steam trawlers used to carry coal on deck to give them a decent length of trip.........as the coal (or oil) was burned on the outer trip so the ship would rise in freeboard, and then the loading of fish would start and the ships would sink again..........

just look at the free board on some of these, either heavy with diesel or fish

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/288714/title/westella-/cat/522

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/159599/title/taits-fr227/cat/522

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/151576/title/taits-fr227/cat/522

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/270013/title/sparkling-star/cat/522

neil

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

{:-{ odd that I can't view them even though I am logged in - I don't have permission

...... and what do I think of it now? I want one Angus  O0

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:29 pm »

Logged in but no permission to view :embarrassed:

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »

can't post directly onto here the pictures from Ships Nostalgia as both the owners of the pics and the site admin go balistic at you for "nicking" photos and not adheering to ownership copyright, sorry.
neil. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 09:54:02 pm »

No problem Neil, but it is just odd that me and Ned logged in but still couldn't see them.

dave

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:57 pm »

You need to subscribe to fishing boats in ships nostalgia in your account settings
Go to Edit options in the user sttings,click on group memberships then click on fishing boats

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »

Oh H***..................I forgot about that.......sorry guys and thanks wbeedie........would never have thought of that..................always found it a bit strange that  we had to log in to the fishing vessels section years ago.........and it slipped my mind.

cheers, neil.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 08:59:49 am »

Thanks for the info Wheedie
All ok now.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Angus64

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:58 am »

Neil. Thanks for that I had the same trouble getting into the pictures, I followed your instructions & had a look at the pictures & your right about them running with very little free board, things would get a bit messy if there was a good sea running. I like to be a bit higher than that in the water.

Angus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.