Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Yacht rigging diagram  (Read 7542 times)

regattarich

• Shipmate
RC Yacht rigging diagram
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:00 am »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, could anyone kindly assist with an RC Yacht diagram for the rigging of the sails please. I'm used to 1:128th warship modelling but I'm about to embark on a J Class yacht plank on frame to a scale of 1:28. I have the plans etc but Ive bought a couple of books to try and ascertain how I would set up the RC winch, where to position it in the boat and where to have the deck penetrations so the rigging can come from below decks to rig up to the jib, boom etc and I want to have smart varnished decks so no unnecessary rigging on the deck if possible. Basically a "connect rigging cord from here to there, around winch here and tie off there" sort of diagram?

Any pointers please or publications that would help.

Many thanks

regattarich

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: RC Yacht rigging diagram
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:44 am »

Hello,

I have a 1:22 scale model of Endeavour which is RC.
Have a look at it on my website   www.john-dowd.co.uk

John.  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

regattarich

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:56:58 am »

Hi, Many thanks for that very helpful, I'll have a read tonight as im totally intrigued by the 1930's J Class.

Kind regards

alanh

• Shipmate
    • www.jclasshulls.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »

Hello.
Although I've arrived a bit late to this post you could also have a look at my site, www.jclasshulls.co.uk. I suggest a a hitec winch and fixed loop below decks to which a sheeting line is attached and comes up at the bow and then to the jib and main.This is a simple arrangement that is easy to adjust and keeps most of the workings below deck. It can be useful to have the jib bom and the main boom open at different rates and this is achieved by attaching the sheeting at varying distances from the boom attachment points.
I have also seen a sail arm used to good effect in the Canterbury which also allows for similar adjustment at the arm itself. This cleans the deck further as the sheeting can emerge immediately below the point at which it attaches the the booms.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »

I have gone the other route with my model of "Annalie" see Traditional Sail thread as I only have the winch below decks and everything else above decks so I can see if anything has tangled or gone wrong. If you use mono filament fishing line as the controlling threads then it is virtually impossible to see at any distance.

I also use a Hitech sail winch below decks with the cord emerging through two "goosnecks" and everythging else accessible.

I have a large pulley forwards hiden underneath a deck house which is open at the rear and the cord then goes to a side pully abount 12" from the stern then to a pully on the centerline right aft and back to the winch.

There is a steel spring to keep the cord on the pulleys/winch with all lines to the sails being attached forwards of the spring/tensioner to ensure the pull is always on the winch and thus ensures the lines don't come off the pulleys.

Enjoy and good luck with your "J" class.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.