Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What have we here?  (Read 12967 times)

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What have we here?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »

Nope, that's a 12-turn motor limit car ESC. I believe that equates to around 25 amps in model boat terms.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 11:30:26 am »

Since river testing was inconclusive, this morning I took the boat along to Hartsholme Park, where the good folk of HEMBC gave it the once-over and pronounced it seaworthy.

All in all I am well pleased with how it runs. It has a decent turn of speed - more than I thought it would have with the stock motors on 7.2V - and it handles well, turning smoothly at full throttle with no fuss or bother.

The only thing I am wondering about is the tendency for the bow to bob up and down when going at full chat. It isn't excessive, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but do y'all think this is due to a CoG issue, or will trim tabs help?

Anyway, here is a photo of it underway:

Next step is to strip it of its gubbins, give it a decent paint job, reinstall the gubbins and add some scale accessories. Then the boat will be done, and I'll turn my attention to the trailer.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 02:22:22 pm »

Gubbins are out, primer is on:

And here are the gubbins themselves, cleaned and ready for reinstallation when the paint is done. Hardly impressive by race boat standards, but for a semi-scale fun boat, they do the job nicely.

What is the proper nautical term for gubbins I wonder?

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 09:33:33 pm »

The hull is now wearing some paint! Well, the underside is anyway. Two coats are on, one more to go I think, then once it is fully cured I shall break out the red spray and turn my attention to the top half.

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

Since river testing was inconclusive, this morning I took the boat along to Hartsholme Park, where the good folk of HEMBC gave it the once-over and pronounced it seaworthy.

All in all I am well pleased with how it runs. It has a decent turn of speed - more than I thought it would have with the stock motors on 7.2V - and it handles well, turning smoothly at full throttle with no fuss or bother.

The only thing I am wondering about is the tendency for the bow to bob up and down when going at full chat. It isn't excessive, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but do y'all think this is due to a CoG issue, or will trim tabs help?

Anyway, here is a photo of it underway:

Next step is to strip it of its gubbins, give it a decent paint job, reinstall the gubbins and add some scale accessories. Then the boat will be done, and I'll turn my attention to the trailer.

Trim tabs will defo make a difference,had to fit a pair to mine to stop it flipping over

Dave

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

Another paint update:

Although the deck already has three coats of red on it and looks fine in the photo, it still looks a bit patchy in places when viewed with the naked eye, so a few more coats will be required I think.

Once the deck is a suitable even shade of red, and the paint is fully cured, I will mask and spray the white line along the foredeck, and painting will be complete. Then to add the decals, wing mirrors, wipers, etc, and reinstall the gubbins.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

And...

The paintjob is complete!

As the observant amongst you will notice, I had a last-minute change of heart when it came to the colour scheme. When I looked at the almost-finished article next to the model Pajero that will be towing it on a trailer, I wasn't entirely happy with how they matched, or should I say didn't match. There is no white on the Pajero - it is red and silver, with bits of black and chrome here and there. So I altered the boat's colour scheme to match.

I kept the layout though - I liked the idea of a stripe along the foredeck matching the colour of the cockpit. Hope you all like it!

Now to reinstall the gubbins, apply the custom decals when they arrive, and the boat will be done!

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 12:28:29 am »

thats lookin vrry nice are you going with eny sponser decals

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »

I am now drawing my inspiration from these two vessels:

Both are quite uncomplicated in terms of decals, and so are my plans for the model. I have two V-24 logos on order for the foredeck, as well as a Volvo Penta logo for the engine cover, the names of the driver and throttle man for above their respective doors, and the name of the vessel for the transom. I might also add a Spektrum and/or Futaba logo somewhere, but I'll see how it looks with the other stickers first.

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 01:34:52 am »

sweet  :-))

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »

...And we're done! The stickers arrived this afternoon, and I have just finished applying them. I am well-pleased with the result. Here are a few photos taken in the livingroom. I'll take some more when I get her on the water.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 07:47:15 am »

This morning my wife and I gave our RC boat its official launch. It has been finished for a few weeks already, but this morning was our first opportunity to take it down to the lake for a run.

(Sorry for the poor-quality phone pics. In the excitement of getting ready, we left the camera at home...)

gwa84the2nd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:34 am »

very nicely done she looks good on the water  :-))

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 05:42:03 pm »

Update:

The boat has been running really well - so well in fact that we have decided to add another to the collection so that my wife and I can run them together. In 3 to 5 working days, we should be taking delivery of one of these:

It will be undergoing the same RC upgrades as the original. Contemplating a black-and-chrome colour scheme with more custom decals by Steviedee. Will post as the project progresses!  :)

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »

We now have a fleet! Well, a fleet of two at any rate.

Stripped the toy-grade gubbins.

I'll be keeping the motors, propshafts and props as they are of acceptable quality for a fun boat. The linkage looks interesting, very reminiscent of dogbone and drive cup on a TT01. And the little integrated cooling fan is quite novel.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

Boat project II continues:

We received a delivery from Modelsport:

This allowed me to finish the paint:

The aesthetics are almost done. A few more decals to go, then to turn my attention to the running gear.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:30:03 pm »

It looks even better with the window decals on!

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

Apart from the rudder and its linkage, all is complete in terms of Boat II's gubbins:

Bathtub tests show plenty of thrust. I only used quarter throttle this time, after my experence with Boat I emptying the bathwater all over the floor!

And here it is with it's sister vessel, Boat I (the Mary Lee). Although they look the same bar the colour scheme, they are actually subtly different in almost every respect. In fact, the only parts they have in common are the speed controllers!

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

Yes, that is a rudder right there! The delivery from Cornwall Model Boats made it through at last, so the boat is finally fully operational.

I also decided to add a thin silver line along the join between hull and deck. All it needs now are the last of the custom decals, and it is done!

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

And it is finished!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks once again to Steviedee for doing an excellent job with the decals. He is truly a master of his art.

Launch day is set for Friday, weather permitting. I will of course upload photos, and a video too if I can get my head around posting things to YouTube!

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 09:56:24 pm »

We launched the Woozle today. Here are some pics of her on the water for the first time:

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »

nice  :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.