Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New workshop at Budgie Towers.  (Read 14162 times)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New workshop at Budgie Towers.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 09:02:10 am »

Is it going to be a pre-frab shed, or are you going to build your own design?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:50 am »

It will be to my own design.

LB

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

Are you going to do a 'dwarf wall', a couple of rows of brick at the bottom? That's what I did - really handy in wet conditions....

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 08:28:19 pm »

Day 6 - actually 21 days since work began.

This project was scheduled to begin in mid August. However, the contractor called me to say that he had a window had appeared in his workload and could he bring the project forward, of course I did not object to that. However, as those of us who abode in the UK know only too well the early part of July was the wettest on record, records start in 1910 btw not 1710 or 1610 or even 1210 note. It certainly was pretty wet though, and the worse since the last one oh, when was than now? Four years ago I think. But nowhere near as bad as Queenslanders experience I should add.
This has resulted in the contractor coming up against a rapidly closing window. He ask if instead of him doing the woodwork if I was agreeable to him getting another company to do the work and erect the workshop, cost would just the same and workmanship and materials would be to the same standard as his. I have agreed to this but, it will now take an extra three weeks to erect, holidays this time. The original contractor will still finish off the project i.e. electrics, plastering etc.
Having said all this though, the retaining wall has been built today and a good job has been made of it as far as I can tell anyway. There was one problem though, in that the bricky started at the back garden wall and squared everything up on that. However, when he came to start on the opposite side it was found the that wall would have come across the slab by a fair distance thus reducing the required room for the workshop. Eventually after some thought it was decided build the far wall slightly off square and so maintain a reasonably straight line in relation the edge of the slab. Personally, and if it had been me doing the wall, I would have started on the left hand side and made that corner square and worked along to the back wall but, hey ho what do I know, I'm not a bricky with sixteen years experience.

At the present rate the next up date will be in a couple of weeks or so. <*< <*<
LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:54 pm »

Some more

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:08 pm »

An afternoon sojourn and some of my handy work, Literally :embarrassed:

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »

What about cavity wall insulation %)
looking good :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »

I agree but thought you had a space premium.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 10:13:38 pm »

What about cavity wall insulation %)
looking good :-))

John,

The wall that you see here is a retaining wall to prevent the soil from sliding down and is not part ot the workshop itself.

Ken,

You have got me worried now as the distance between the two walls is 10' 10", I think that this is to narrow taking into consideration the workshop is supposed to be 9' wide with a gap between the rear wall and the garden wall large enough for someone to get down. I'll contact the builder in the morning and see what he has to say about

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

John,

The wall that you see here is a retaining wall to prevent the soil from sliding down and is not part ot the workshop itself.

Ken,

You have got me worried now as the distance between the two walls is 10' 10", I think that this is to narrow taking into consideration the workshop is supposed to be 9' wide with a gap between the rear wall and the garden wall large enough for someone to get down. I'll contact the builder in the morning and see what he has to say about

Morning Liverbudgie,

Why would you want to  'Get down'  the gap ?  A bit of waste of precious space there, methinks.  My first impression is to build as big as you can get away with.  I actually built mine as a 'lean too' against the house.  It saves on concrete blocks as well.

Just a thought.   :}

regards

ken

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

The reason I wanted a gap between the back wall of the workshop and the garden wall was so that I could do any maintenance required to the back wall of the workshop should it be necessary and if problems arose with the state of the garden wall.  I did at one stage think about it being a "lean to" but I was concerned about the state of the wall and damp but perhaps I'm being over cautious. The builder also stated that he needed room to get between the walls as well otherwise he would not be able to clad the outer wall of the workshop.

As things stand now there will be only 11" clearance between each wall @ 9' width, this I'm not happy with; length ways there is no problem.

I've just checked the measurements again and I feel there is a bit of a problem - a 4" or thereabouts one, I await developments ...............

LB

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »

Won't you get damp through the floor as I can see no membraine put down ?.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 09:02:48 pm »

How are you getting on.  ?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 11:11:06 pm »

Hoping the answer to that is ...... Spectacularly!!!
I am ever the optimist LB  :}

Dave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2012, 06:46:27 pm »

I have only just picked this up.

Yes well, there have been a few delays much to ones' chagrin. The first one was when the contractor I had first engaged to do the work had to pass the building of the workshop over to another company, due to pressure of work and the bad weather we were all landed with. Holidays then entered the picture, once this obstacle was cleared and when they were ready to start the building process proper the local scallie's played their hand by deciding that they had a better use for their tools and van than the company did. this took place at around 4am one Friday.

A person living opposite apparently thought it odd that work was being undertaken at such an hour and placed a call with Mr Plod, who attended the premises in haste and thereby apprehended said scallie's loading the company's transport with their own tools. (yay, Merseyside Police, Birkenhead division - for once!! :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))) Said scallie's were not the most intelligent of the variety, their abode being about 300 yards from the scene of their mischief, were further evidence of their misdemeanours were discovered.

I only found out about this the following morning when I went to check on progress, only to find chaos as you expect. Further delay was now inevitable as Mr Plod, in his eternal wisdom, decided that they needed to hold on the company's tools, they were returned some days later. However, they had, inadvertently no doubt ok2, left a sheet of paper attached to the tool case's which give the details of the aforementioned scallie's; as of yesterday morning the company has still not had their transport returned.

This of course has caused a blockage in the system with some of their customers not being very patient however, I understand these things - up to a point. Work recommenced about three weeks ago and I was promised that it would be in place by the end of that week and that if it wasn't then they would work the Saturday. I was away then on business and returned in high expectation that I would have a lovely new workshop to play around in - I was to be disappointed. This resulted in a serious discussion with whoever was in the office that Saturday as to why there wasn't a brand new workshop in situ.

I was again away last week and again I was again disappointed on my return. None to impressed by now, I paid a visit to their premises to find that one's workshop was about 75% complete; only the hold up now was that the Velux window that had been ordered (I had instructed that the largest horizontal one be fitted) was too large to fit in-between the roof trusses and there would not be enough room to fit the flashing properly. Quite why there had been no liaison over this will no doubt come out in the wash later. A smaller one had been ordered (without reference to me) but had not arrived  at that stage. The stable door has been completed by an outside chippie, who is also responsible for the windows. He has made a fine job of these I have to say. So there we are, delivery is promised, again, for later this week  and I'm away once more, the saga continues......

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »

Oh my.      :police:

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 12:23:39 am »

Sounds about right for these parts on all counts, scallies, seemingly incompetent builders etc etc...... :police:
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 05:22:53 am »

Hi Liver that is one fine bit of restrained writing but where is the picture of the non complete & the window, & when is the ceremonial burning of the Scallies property or is that not considered necessary & fun where you live. I think you need new neighbours. Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50:03 am »

Once you get in there it will all be behind you LB.
You are going to alarm your shop re local scallies?
Dave

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:07 am »

How about a photo of where it is now?   :}

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2012, 01:28:46 pm »

Said Scallie's will, I have no doubt be dealt with in due course, both by the court probably with a smack on the bum and "community service", this will be followed later with a smack in the gob and a fair few contacts between steel toe cap and soft, dangly tissue.

Ceremonial burning is perhaps is perhaps taking things to far, but perhaps not on refection.  O0 There is a fir distance between the present location of the part built workshop and where I live. I don't have any problems with my neighbours bar one, who knows better than to cross me.

Yes the workshop will be alarmed this is in addition to a new fence being erected between the house and side garden wall, this alone has been estimated at £700.

This was one of the few occasions that I went out without the camera so there are no pictures of it in its current location I'm afraid, so you will all just have to be like me - patience.

LB, The Key Board Warrior.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:33 pm »

Today i received a text from a rather alarmed neighbour stating that there were three large men who were putting a shed of some sort up in my garden, a flat bed wagon and a four by four. it was two hours later when i read the message as i was in a screened  building which stops mobile signals from getting through. I reassured her that i was expecting it, having failed to tell her that i was.

So it looks like i have a workshop at long last. my team and I have twenty computers to install in the morning and then it's time for home at a rapid pace.

LB - in Dundee.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:17 pm »

It was the odour of creosote that wafted  towards me as exited the car on my return home on Friday afternoon that really told me that the new workshop had been delivered and erected - finally.

Overall I'm pleased with the build quality however, there is one major thing I'm displeased about and that is the size and shape of the Velux window. I had originally specified that it was to be the largest horizontal one in the range, instead the smallest vertical model has been fitted.  It was erected of course while I was away and if they think that they can just present me with a fait a comply (sp) ? like that then I'm afraid they can think again.

It has yet to be finished off inside i.e. the insulation has yet to be fitted and the interior plastered as well as the electrics. I have not paid them, apart from the deposit, either  so until a solution is reached that's how it's going to remain.

LB -The Key Board Warrior.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:51 pm »

That Velux is a little on the small size, make em change it. Do you have it in writing that they were going to fit a big one? Looking good all the same....

Regards,
Nick
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 03:31:50 am »

I do like the Liverbudgie .........very smart indeed ...... :-)) .....just watch out for the neighbours.....they may take a heritage order out on your herringbone panelled door building..... {-) Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.