Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie ...  (Read 1568 times)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Newbie ...
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:37:16 pm »

... though I am quite an old one  O0

I've been modelling since I was a young one, though mainly trains of various sizes and types with a diversion into model engineering at one point, so I do consider myself reasonably competent at making stuff.
For various reasons I've pretty much decided to abandon trains (I'm still interested in them, just don't want to model them at present) and reckon I'll give boats a go. Given I was brought up in a navy family and I've owned several small boats over the years, the only surprise in this is perhaps that I've only just got here  :embarrassed:

So I think I have most of the tools and experience to put a kit together and the patience to scratch the odd assembly (not the whole boat though). I'm currently inclined to scale models of ships with r/c rather than sailing or racing. Any hot tips on where to begin?

I've browsed some of the websites and would love to build a big warship - of course! More realistically I think a Deans Marine 'ton' class minesweeper would be a better bet (I remember them from my youth too).

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Newbie ...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »

Build whatever you WANT to build.
It is normally more satisfying to build something that means something to you or your family.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

I thought ron dean was only 21,so you must be 21 as well young man.Welcome to model boat mayhem,and if you get a chance pop into "deans marine" where you will be made welcome and look at what you would like to build(plenty there).baloo

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

I think a Deans Marine 'ton' class minesweeper would be a better bet

Welcome to Mayhem madness.
Just my opinion Mike - a "ton" class would be a good choice. I've never built one but guess it would be a lot more stable than, say, a sleek Destroyer, which, by their very nature, are rather slim in the beam and therefore inclined to list alarmingly on hard/fast turns. :o
Whatever you decide to go for, enjoy the build and, if possible, post photo's of your progress. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:01:16 am »

Welcome to Mayhem madness.
Just my opinion Mike - a "ton" class would be a good choice. I've never built one but guess it would be a lot more stable than, say, a sleek Destroyer, which, by their very nature, are rather slim in the beam and therefore inclined to list alarmingly on hard/fast turns. :o
Whatever you decide to go for, enjoy the build and, if possible, post photo's of your progress. :-))
Regards,
Ray.

Thanks. Funny you should mention the beam thing. I was fiddling with a ruler yesterday and realised the 'ton' is not that broad - I'd always thought of them as stubby, but the model is only 80something mm wide. As well as stability I'm thinking about working space. The kit is looking a bit rare too - I found one or two online but even Deans don't seem to list it, so I guess it's not current.

So, I'm thinking maybe a working boat for starters - tug perhaps. Deans don't have much I like the look of, but Model Slipway have loads - I'd be happy with 9 out the 18 boats they list and they sound about right for my experience O0 . Bit larger and more expensive than the 'ton' though :o

I notice they offer 6V or 12V motor packs. What might be the advantage of one over the other, given these aren't racing boats? They seem to be geared to about the same prop speed, so I imagine the 6V is going to be less revvy and hence quieter. What am I missing? (I'm learning - took me a fair bit of digging to work out what these ESCs were that everyone talks about :embarrassed: )

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:32:22 am »

bosun models do some nice semi-kits, not to dear.have a look at them ,nice mouldings ...slug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.