Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to find information on two ships in particular?  (Read 3805 times)

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
How to find information on two ships in particular?
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have become interested in a couple of vessels that a relative once worked aboard and have begun wondering about the best method to go about obtaining information and details of both vessels. Unfortunately the relative has passed away so I cannot ask him directly however I am hoping I might be able to acquire some photographs if they exist from his children.

The vessels in question are the Rona and Silverhawks and both were operated by CSR when my relative worked aboard them.
Here is what I know so far:
The RONA was a steel single screw cargo vessel built by Hall Russell at Aberdeen, Scotland weighing 4469 gross tons. In 1956 she was sold to unknown owners and renamed Panoriente. Then in 1975 sold once again to unknown owners and renamed Eastern Venus. Before finally being scrapped by Kaohsiung March 1980.

The SILVERHAWK was approximately 6771 gross tons, 10563 dwt. Lb: 130.2 x 20.1 metres. She was an oil tanker built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd., Birkenhead for the Nile Steamship Co Ltd (Silver Line UK). Managed by Silver Chemical Tankers Ltd.  Single screw, diesel engine with a speed of 14.5 knots. As a chemical tanker, towards the end of the 1970's and into the early 1980's, was bareboat chartered by CSR and placed into service on the Australian coast. My relative worked on her during this period, I believe he was the chief engineer on board. Silver Line's operations were seized in 1985. Later during that year (1985) was sold to Sea Cheer Investment Panama and renamed Philchem. 1988 renamed Stainless Duke. Broken up at Aliaga November 1997.

This information has mainly been obtained from http://www.flotilla-australia.com and my father.

I am also interested in what hulls are available that could be converted to make a decent model of either ship as I would love to build a model of her once my model of the steam tug Cervia is completed.

I have looked on shipspotting but haven’t been able to find any images of either ship, possibly because of how long ago they were broken up.
Thankyou for any help and advice it is greatly appreciated.

Tim

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to find information on two ships in particular?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

I found these 2,  HTH

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:43 pm »

Thanks Tail I hadn't found those 2 however I did find a wealth of information from this website:
http://www.aberdeenships.com/default.asp?searchFor=rona

However getting the pictures of Rona off it is proving very difficult although they appear here as well
http://www.aagm.co.uk/thecollections/objects/object/Black-and-white-showing-Launch-of-Motor-Molasses-Carrier--Rona--at-Hall-Russell-in-1957_60776

I have emailed the aberdeen site hoping they can give me access to the photos and have also emailed cammell-laird who constructed the silverhawk.

So fingers crossed I get  some luck there  :-)

Thanks

Tim

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

However getting the pictures of Rona off it is proving very difficult although they appear here as well

sorry if teaching you to suck eggs, but if you click on the pics and then right click, 'save as......@

ok not the biggest pics, but back in the days of the original they werent..

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:09:10 pm »

sorry if teaching you to suck eggs, but if you click on the pics and then right click, 'save as......@

ok not the biggest pics, but back in the days of the original they werent..

Well yes normally this is how I would save the picture, however, in this case when you open up the larger image it opens as a separate tab or window and when you right click and hit save as it tries to save in a .gif format. Now I thought no worries I will just change the format however I couldn't do that straight away so then I saved as a gif thinking I could change the format later. After I had saved the .gif I tried opening the saved file only to find that nothing had saved.  >>:-(. Or more specifically a file was saved containing no data or blank data. Then i tried copying the entire page and pasting into a word document. Still no luck although I have had some luck using this last method on the aaqm website.

Once again thanks for looking  :-)

Tim

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:21:27 pm »

I had a look and every time I clicked "save as" it came up as a jpeg.  It may be your settings.  right click and "save as" then use the pull down menu to see if it'll save as anything else.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:57:10 pm »

I have emailed the aberdeen site hoping they can give me access to the photos and have also emailed cammell-laird who constructed the silverhawk.

So fingers crossed I get  some luck there  :-)

You will need to contact the Wirral Archives regarding information on the Silverhawk. I would doubt if they have anything substantial though as very nearly all the records of the old company were destroyed when they went bust.

LB

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »

http://www.nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/izvessel.php?ID=110010528&name=PANORIENTE&db=&dm=&ds=&dh=&gsn=&owner=&num=&sh=&st=&sd=&svv=&typ=&tid=0&tix=0&tot=1&wds=&pix=0&sourceid=&refid=&hit=1

http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp?offset=510&index=101573 (see pics on right side of screen)
On both links the images are saved as .gif types, with the added trick that you can look at the image online, but not save it as an actual image, rather they save as a blank unless you have passed money to the owner of the image.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

Just an update and a question or two.

I have been in contact with a lovely lady from the aberdeen website and found out they have plans for the ship Rona which is awesome however each print will cost £10 and with the enter set consisting of something like 24 prints thats a lot of money for this poor uni student to fork out. However I cannot get them until October anyway due to the museum relocating the plans or something so I was hoping someone on here could help me work out what would be in each print and which prints are going to be the most relevant to building a model out of.

Here is the list of prints:

I can also get the photos off the aberdeen website however the costs seem to be very high at something like £10.45 for a digital copy per photo.

Thankyou,

Tim

[EDIT] - Changed image to hopefully make it readable, just need to click on it and it should get bigger, it may only open up as 60% but just click the image again and it should be right.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »

You'd certainly need the hull lines (Drg 4) and depending on the era you want to model either Drawing 1 or 2. Drawing 3 and possibly Drawing 5.  The lines appear to be repeated to a larger scale in Drawing 10 so if you want to build her big you could go with that.  Most of the others would be irrelevent.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:53 pm »

Thank you TailUKthat is very helpful, I had assumed that I would need the hull lines was just mainly sorting out the rest of the items  :-)

Out of curiosity what would drawings 14 and 16 actually consist of.
Obviously 14 would have some sort of info on the steering arrangement but would it only have images of the rudder or the entire steering system?
Finally could 16 be used to ensure accuracy of the hatch covers or am I on the wrong track there?

Thank you

Tim

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »

Drg 14: is almost certainly a detailed drawing of the rudder and stern frame only though, it might have an outline drawring of the steering gear as well but worth having, Drg 16: is not a drawing of the hatches and is of little use to you.

I would reccommend Drgs: 1 - 5, 8 and 12 if you want to plate the model but is otherwise of little use.

The prices quoted are really quite cheap, I paid twice that for some Blue Funnel drawings from the Dundee Achieve last year. Can I also ask you if and when you order these drawings that you ask the archive to transfer the images to a disk or some other electronic storeage medium, this save having to handle the drawings should anybody else require further copies. I ask the Dundee people to do this in future and they are doing so.

LB.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 12:43:33 pm »

Thank you TailUKthat is very helpful, I had assumed that I would need the hull lines was just mainly sorting out the rest of the items  :-)

Out of curiosity what would drawings 14 and 16 actually consist of.
Obviously 14 would have some sort of info on the steering arrangement but would it only have images of the rudder or the entire steering system?
Finally could 16 be used to ensure accuracy of the hatch covers or am I on the wrong track there?

Thank you

Tim
I would have thought that you'll get most of what you need to know from the GAs  I don't know what info Drg 14 would have in it but assume it's a schematic of the steering arrangement rather than detailed engineering drawings.  The same may apply to Drg 16 too.  I think I'd start with the GA's and the lines and order additional drawings if you think you need them after perusing those.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

Thanks for that Liverbudgie, I understand that the prices for individual prints are very good I just cant afford to purchase the entire set as much as I would like too. By transfer to a digital medium do you mean that the abardeen people transfer it to their own digital archives so that they have it for future use?
@TailUK ahh i see all this research into ships is new for me and as I am only 22 I havent had to do much research for anything except school work before however I have been enjoying the hunt for information about the Rona and Silverhawk.

Once again thank you

Tim

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »

Oh gawd another poor student!

You need to find out also if they are charging a handling fee and does the quoted price include postage etc. The cost of the drawings I have mentioned come to £70 ($A 1-45 =£1 at last look). One way to afford them is to lay off the tinnies - if I maybe so bold. I know that maybe hard but sacrifices have to made somewhere you know.{-) {-) {-)

You should also make a trip to your local copying shop should you ever decide to purchase these drawings and have various sections copied to the scale at which your building; 'cos believe me nothing is more annoying than to have your costly originals ruined with tares and other sundry marks. You will also need to have the body plan printed as many times as you need frames. Don't forget also to reduce the frame width by the thickness of the material you intend to plank the model with i.e. if your using 1/8" planks, remove the same amount from the edge of the frame. This is best done after you have cut out the frame in my view. However, I suspect that stage is a long way off at present.

BTW have you ever built a scratch model like this before?

And you are correct in your assumption.
LB

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 03:04:50 pm »

Oh gawd another poor student!

You need to find out also if they are charging a handling fee and does the quoted price include postage etc. The cost of the drawings I have mentioned come to £70 ($A 1-45 =£1 at last look). One way to afford them is to lay off the tinnies - if I maybe so bold. I know that maybe hard but sacrifices have to made somewhere you know.{-) {-) {-)

You should also make a trip to your local copying shop should you ever decide to purchase these drawings and have various sections copied to the scale at which your building; 'cos believe me nothing is more annoying than to have your costly originals ruined with tares and other sundry marks. You will also need to have the body plan printed as many times as you need frames. Don't forget also to reduce the frame width by the thickness of the material you intend to plank the model with i.e. if your using 1/8" planks, remove the same amount from the edge of the frame. This is best done after you have cut out the frame in my view. However, I suspect that stage is a long way off at present.

BTW have you ever built a scratch model like this before?

And you are correct in your assumption.
LB

Yes I suppose that is one way I could finance this endeavour  :} Oh and just to make it clear I wasnt complaining about the price just more trying to ensure I don't waste money buying plans that will not be of any use to me  %)

Yes I can see how getting copies made would definitely be a must and when I get the plans it will be one of the first things on my list of to dos.

I believe the lady said she would need to calculate shipping to Australia at the time of purchase so I am not sure how much it will be but hopefully it wont be too bad.

As for ever creating a scratch model like this the answer to that is no but I am currently building the cervia and using bluebirds wonderful build log as a kind of instruction book,
the build can be found here: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31204.new;topicseen#new
So any building on a model of the Rona will not begin until after the Cervia is at least sea worthy. However, I will still be getting the plans as soon as I can out of the pure interest of finding out exactly what this ship was like.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.