Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames sailing barge  (Read 22309 times)

MCR

Thames sailing barge
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:11:43 pm »

Just  to get the ball rolling.The Thames barge association could be one of the most supportive groups for those who wish to go scale sail.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.newquaymodelboatclub.org.uk
    • my club site
Re: Thames sailing barge
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:18:25 pm »

what do you think of the half size kitty kit i never seemed to be able to ask some 1 but now i can thanks to this brill forum heres the web site http://www.scalemodelboatyard.co.uk/
thanks jamie

MCR

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 10:41:00 pm »

Its a simple rule but a simple one, the bigger the model the better it sails. You can not scale down the wind you see. While I am sure that the little model would be great fun in ideal circumstances how often do they occur? The HFM kit would be a better option if you did not wish to go for the 1/24th scale .

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
    • my club site
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:52:14 pm »

how long do you think is a desient size for scale sail because iv been bitten by the bug and its got to be farly cheap also do you no of any surrpliers i could get a boaat from thanks jamie

John C

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:18:12 pm »

I would also like to build a Thames sailing barge..........one day!. I have built quite a few static sail models in years past always going for electric powered working models of classic boats/ships if i wanted something to sail ( I have never belonged to a club, I prefer to make my mistakes in private) .......but I have found this forum and the once all conquering model boats forum an absolute mine of information for the sole model boater.
Before I build a sailing barge I've always had it in my mind to try a pilot cutter or some thing like a cornish crabber ( if you ever go to the maritime museum at Falmouth, they have a stick your money in the slot..........have a go at sailing a model boat pond indoors with fans providing the wind) no I don't live there, I reside in the frozen north (so it's not an advert, it was just good fun)
These little models sail really well ( if anyone knows if they are produced as a kit, I'd really like to know) What I liked was the simplified sail arrangement, lack of deck clutter which I believe prevents real sailing boats from performing as well as they could ( lower the deck line better they go......but hey what do I know) but the thing that really puts me off is the mechanics, I've recently returned to the fold after a break of roughly 25 years, while the boat building isn't all that different apart from the use of plastic (haven't got used to that yet but I'm trying SWMBO say's I am anyway) it's the radio control and gadgets that have moved on a pace ( most boats went round in circles when i modelled before and I'm not that old.....no pension in sight yet, and once I realised through these forums that my old radio control which I'd lovingly looked after all these years was defunct, I still got suckered into buying a 27 meg replacement) so thats the bit that puts me off, I've built 80% of my models from scratch i.e from a plan or out of my head from whatever bits and pieces come to hand (not in the strict sense of making every part) so the practical advise is invaluable to me.
I'd really like to see more on the mechanics of sail craft & how to work out what components you need without being a mathematician or a scientist(I work with statistics but find some posts puzzling) surely it wasn't rocket science in the old days when people had to do this for real..come on guys give us a break keep it simple, more please.

MCR

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:52:17 pm »

Although not a pilot cutter the rig is very similar this is my second sail model you can see some shots under the yachts section.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
    • my club site
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:18:31 am »

wow nice boat good for your second attempt

MCR

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 04:25:47 pm »

Not my second boat but my second scale sail still a very steep learning curve.

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
    • my club site
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 04:31:10 pm »

id like a pilot cutter or falmouth working boat

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 04:52:14 pm »

Hi Boatmanic942,

Have you tried Mike Mayhew at Waverley Models, he does a good range of pilot cutters.

Daryl

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:47 pm »

Is the HFM barge a good kit to start in the world of barges?. I have heard a lot of conflicting views.

Thanks
Richard

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 09:34:20 pm »

I got my 1/24th hull from a chap in AMBO( Association of Model Barge Owners), no plans but what a great hull, very cheep to. Ambo are the people to ask about model barges they are very helpful.

Daryl

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 11:46:07 pm »

Where is mmgemini when you need him, for you chaps who haven't meet the man, friendly doesn't come anywhere near it. He has started to build a barge from cornflake boxes.  Rope making and barges, ask the question to him and he will more then answer the question.

I have tried to email him but...........

Hopefully he will be joining us soon

I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

flag-d

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 11:35:08 pm »

:'(My Dad scratch built a Thames sailing barge back in the early 70's, over about 3 years.  It was a beautiful model, as I remember it.  What happened to it?  He put it out for the bin-men when we moved as we didn't have room to take it with us! :'(

Mike

dannymax

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 10:40:43 am »

Although not a pilot cutter the rig is very similar this is my second sail model you can see some shots under the yachts section.

She looks beautiful...

MCR

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »

Thanks for the compliment I hope to get some video shots of the boat in action but would need advice regarding posting these on the forum.
Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 06:37:29 am »

Mark

The photo question has been addressed several times on the forum, you can use the search facility to find the topics.

Essentially, you attach them to your post as in an email. The facility is under additional options bottom left of the post window.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

MCR

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2006, 11:15:09 pm »

Not photo video is it the same process?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 07:33:26 am »

MCR

As I understnd it - its should be. The problem with video is the host PC, ie the one looking at the attachment needs teh correct application to view it. Why not try and see.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 12:15:23 pm »

MCR the second photo you posted on this page is a very nice looking model, Would it be possible to purchase a copy of the plan as I cannot find anything like over here, and I would love to build a model which looks as good as yours..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

farrow

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:42 pm »

I have seen some of the AMSB club models, although they have been interesting to look at. I do wonder if in fact they have scale sail plan size to their models. As most 80/100 ton lifting barges were 82 /85 feet in length with a beam of 21/22ft and a moulded depth of 5/5.5feet. The racing rule forbid a mainmast longer than 34ft I believe and the average working bowsprit was 22/25 feet total length. Infact most barges working between Thames Medway area did not carry a bowsprit as they got in the way when turning in congested waters and any barge that set a bowsprit above Gravesend was in violation of PLA bye laws and the master would be fined. The very late Racing Champion Bowsprit class of the late 1950's on were 45% increase in sail area restricted to 4 barges only, these sail plans seem more of the size I have seen on the model barges and would explain some of their stability problems. Also the real barge when empty still had a draft roughly equal to Half their loaded draft. They were after all a plank with a sharpish end forward going through the water. The pivoting point when turning was different to normal yachts as they seem to dig the leeward side into the water and would lift their weather chine out of the water just. I expect some one will say I am wrong, my wife usually says I am wrong. But Iam only commenting on my youth actively rigging and sailing these planks and a whole life interest in them. The vessels were only as successful as they were because of the superlative skill of the men who worked them.
Dave.

hobbyman

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 08:59:19 pm »

Hi
I was thinking of building something like a thames barge so i went onto the thames barge site and asked if anyone had any ideas where i could get a plan from ,i never got a single reply ,so i gave them up ,wont bother with them again,anyone here got any ideas ?

wideawake

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 09:40:56 pm »

hi Hobbyman

if you go to the AMBO (Association of model barge owners) website www.modelbarge.info you'll find a lot of the information you want about plan and grp hull suppliers.  My next project is going to be a barge.  iIhave a Lady Daphne hull from datelinemarine www.datelinemarine.com/ladydaphne.html and a set of plans and photo's from the same source.  All I've got to do now is find time to start the build.   The  chaps in AMBO and particularly Richard Chesney, are very helpful.  Richard has compiled a booklet giving a lot of useful info on builds both plank-on-frame and on grp hulls.   I'm sure you could get a copy from him by becoming a member of AMBO!  It's well worth the membership fee for the access to inf alone, even if you don't want to race your barge.

WRT a previous post - by rmasmaster - I suspect that you're bang on and what you saw were racing model barges which will tend (as in full-size) to carry a larger suite of sails than if in working trim.  The class rule is fairly loose and some of the skippers will keep rigging to the minimum needed to sail and may also compromise on scale deck features that impede remote control sail movement.

Sadly I believe that one of the most prolific suppliers of grp hulls, Tony Williams,  is no longer well enough to carry on.

I hope the above is useful and that you'll go ahead with the barge.
Cheers

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 01:31:11 am »

Hi
I was thinking of building something like a thames barge so i went onto the thames barge site and asked if anyone had any ideas where i could get a plan from ,i never got a single reply ,so i gave them up ,wont bother with them again,anyone here got any ideas ?

Try hear
https://sslrelay.com/s84068217.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=15473e433b925eb/shopdata/index.shopscript

Valerie Anne
Two sheet plans for timber hull spritsail barge to standard model 1:24th scale. Model is 1120mm length and 275mm beam. Carefully researched deck and rig detail shown on plan, but no model construction. Designed by Mike Mayhew.

Picture lifted from Traplet Publications Website, but they should not mind.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

wideawake

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 09:30:19 am »

If you're interested in SB Valerie Ann then Mike Mayhew trades as Waverley Models  http://freespace.virgin.net/waverley.models/header.htm
and has a GRP hull for this one on offer as well as several other sailing model hulls.

Cheers

Guy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.