Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T I D No3  (Read 4063 times)

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
T I D No3
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:20 am »

This seems to be a popular subject at the moment.
My latest projecti a 1/24th scale TID she is going to be No3 for no particular reason, i'm using a Kingston mouldings hull and plan both arrived last week its the first time i have used Kingston and i've got to say what a beautiful moulding one of the best i've seen.
The photos show progress so far, prop shaft in, mould line rubbed down, wash ports opened out i'm waiting for the coupling so the motor mount will have to wait the motor is a large Buhler which has been waiting paitently under the bench for a few years the rudder is also on its way with a bit of luck i may get some more done today.
Dave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: T I D No3
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:33 am »

Looking good!  The Kingston hull certainly looks the part.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:19 am »

I suppose it's an optical conclusion but the bows look quite.... blunt?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

A71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:11 am »

Looking very nice my build is from the laser cut hull kit and plan from the mag good luck with the build
Looks like there's 3 now being built  :}

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

I suppose it's an optical conclusion but the bows look quite.... blunt?!

Personally I was thinking the same.  After looking at a fair number of TID pics and what original drawings I could find, I think the prototype bow was a sharper radius.  However, looking at pics of Brent, and other extant TIDS their bows are more rounded. I wonder if it's a function of their age.  It's also possible that it's an opticaL illusion.  My TID looks more rounded viewed from certain angles.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:11:27 pm »

Looks very nice does that  :-))

hows she going to be painted?

Dan

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

Hi
Just been upstairs and had a look at my other TID and the bow is the same as this one, it may be the angle i took the photo from.
Dave

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »

http://www.riverman.gotdns.com/
Try this site, you will have to register, but it is a free site, they have a colour pic of TID3 with it's history.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:30 am »

just googled tid tugs,found a list of all tid tugs,many photos. tid54 very rounded bows,tid53 sharp bows. they all seem to be different.maybe wrong ,see what you think ? i still like them...slug

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »

Hello
I'm not sure  who produced the other TID that i've got, i bought it for my dad about 20 years ago she is a balsa model about 18inches long but the bow is exactly the same as the current hull i'm working on i'm happy with what i've got and we'll see how it turns out.
Norseman thanks for the details.
Cheers Dave

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:30:22 pm »

just googled tid tugs,found a list of all tid tugs,many photos. tid54 very rounded bows,tid53 sharp bows. they all seem to be different.maybe wrong ,see what you think ? i still like them...slug

Considering that TID sections were built in several differant engineering works rather than shipyards and that nearly 200 were buil,  I suppose that variations are entirely possible.
Personally, the GRP hulls I've seen are just a little too "bull-nosed" for me.

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 07:10:47 pm »

I've finnally managed to get some time in the workshop. the photo's show the rudder and skeg fitted i used a large commercial rudder from SHG then enlarged and laminated it before coating in resin, after a rummage under my workbench i found a spare  Bosch blower motor i used one several years ago in a large tug and was made up with it i also found a coupling to fit, i shall save the buhlers for a future twin screw project the next jobs will be the battery box and a box to house the smoke unit and then fit the speaker, if i'm allowed any more time i shall make a start on the deck.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.