Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAF Marine Vessel Air Council Instructions from 1928  (Read 2829 times)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
RAF Marine Vessel Air Council Instructions from 1928
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:35:37 am »

This is the third time I have tried to create this topic.  >:-o

A few weeks back I posted something in the  Vosper Crash Tender Colour topic .   Afterwards, I discovered that the Hendon Museum had some info on these vessels and asked if they had any details of the colours.

They do and a very nice person there sent me copies of the actual instructions which include drawings on painting the vessels dated 1941, 1947 and 1960. 

I did a little summary of them which I’ll attach along with the instructions.

All the colours mentioned are actually BS381C colours. 
For example: The Light Grey mentioned in the post is BS381C 631 Light Grey which used to be BS381C 31 Light Battleship Grey.
In the 1941 copy it only says battleship grey which could be either BS381C 631 Light Grey which used to be BS381C 31 Light Battleship Grey or  BS381C 632 Dark Admiralty Grey which used to be BS381C 32 Dark Battleship Grey. I’m guessing it is the dark colour as the only colour photo I have seen of the wartime vessels looks much darker than the post war colour grey. Also in B & W photos, superstructure looks to be light post war than during the war.
Sorry no attachments, the system doesn't seem to like a simple 25kb pdf! Anyone wants one, please send me a PM.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
RAF Marine Vessel Air Council Instructions from 1928
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:46 am »

Now let's see if I can attach the pdf.
Anyone wants copies of the origianl docs, please PM me.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RAF Marine Vessel Air Council Instructions from 1928
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:25 am »

The kind person at Hendon has now sent me all the Kings Regs etc. since 1928. Colours weren't actually mentioned until 1937. Before that the details of the numbers etc were only detailed.
I'll try & attach a couple of the drawings from the 1941 ASR manual which show actual placement details.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.