Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoration of an old yacht, possibly 36R of pond yacht pedigree..?  (Read 27473 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Restoration of an old yacht, possibly 36R of pond yacht pedigree..?
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 06:36:23 am »

Hi, I always try and get the mast on the keel as it makes rigging so much easier and stiffens the mast as well.  I also try and get it to sit in a tube, not always easy but it can be easier to stop water ingress.

My first effort like this was with a wood mast which got wet and it took 3 weeks to get the mast out of the tube,  I now use interlocking tubes with the inner one around the mast base.
I am just adding a bowsprit to a yacht and for the same reasons of balancing the rig.
Happy days,
Roy
That's a very good idea about the tube, I have to dismount the mast and sails from the boat to get it all in the car so if it were to jam I'd be in real trouble so I'll try that modification when I next remove the deck to work on it...
When I fitted the bowsprit I was very careful to use the marks of the original holes in the deck, so that if it transpired that I didn't need it and could fit a standard jib rack instead, I could do it all without any cosmetic damage. Now that I know that I will need the bowsprit, I shall now make a better permanent one with the right placing for the tack of the jib. All part of the fun of restorations like these.  ..  :-)   Nylets were very helpful with the original research and as you can see, their sails have really made the boat look fantastic...
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 09:52:01 am »

Hi, I would not make the bowsprit a fixture on the deck. On the basis it is easier to make or repair a bowsprit than re-build the hull. Mine will always come free if knocked hard. 

The current build has a Samson post that has a 1/8th. dia peg with the bowsprit located in it.  I am thinking the 1/8th wood peg will sheer off on severe impact. I am just deciding  between having the bowsprit part of the hull or the rigging when storing the boat.  I store the rigging in a separate sails box to save damage and easy transport.  I have also been using plastic 'Christmas tree' storage boxes about 1.1 metres long for hulls. 
On one yacht I have the bowsies up at the top of the mast so they are at eye level when setting up at the lakeside. 

Have you got a wire or line from the bowsprit tip to the bow at water level to support the tension from the fore stay, my eyesight is not good enough to determine.

kind regards
Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 02:32:48 pm »

Good points on the bowsprit for when I come to build the final version, I shall definitely incorporate them into the design.... Have you got any photos for inspiration?  ...  :-)
I have sail transport boxes for my IOM boats that I shall use for taking these to the lake and I may well sort out a new transport box for this hull too...  Never ending isn't it...  :D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 09:21:43 pm »

Hello Artist Mike lets see if the picture gets through!Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 09:24:14 pm »

Hi artist mike I am having trouble posting pictures will do text if I get it rightRoy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »

Still tryingRoy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »

Well all my fault I am afraid perhaps moderator can remove two of them?
Hi artist mike,
Anyway this is a pond yacht I restored a few years ago she was made by my friend John Cook (who died 5 years back) and then put side for 30 years!  All the string had rotted so all ropes and whipping was replaced the brasswork removed and cleaned and new hatch covers made.  Redid most things but managed to keep the original sails.  She is nearly 4 feet loa always gets interest on the lake.
She looks lovely on the water and sails very well, batteries last for a full afternoon.I will see what else I can find if you are interested.
regards Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:55 am »

I will see what else I can find if you are interested.
regards Roy
Yes that's a lovely looking craft, you've made a great job of the restoration and I expect she looks fantastic under sail, I'd love to see more of her if you have any more photos ....  :-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 08:31:20 pm »

Restoration of Eleanor

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40:38 pm »

Hello artist mike, here is what she looked like when I first had her.  She is about 30 inches loa and was made by the father of a lady who subsequently became a club member.  The boat was made during WW 2 as a semiscale fishing boat. 

I fitted her with an off set propellor and radio and brought her back to life.  The way I do it is to have a weekly contact with pictures on email and any points of how to progress are with the owner. Overall we decided to rebuild her the way her father would have done if he were here today.  She sailed very nicely in moderate winds. It worked out well and I was sad to see her go.regards Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2018, 05:03:25 pm »

A really lovely job that Roy, you must have been thrilled to get that sailing on the water again... A credit to you and the original builder. Just ensuring that these boats continue to have a life, has to be a very worthwhile occupation...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2018, 07:41:22 pm »

Hi artistmike, thanks for your remarks.  I do enjoy getting the old boats working again.  It gives me a lot of pleasure. There was second  one of these boats the same size but in blue more like a yacht.  In both cases when the paint was stripped away the wood was in excellent condition but the blue one had no hatch.  So I took off a deck house and drilled a hole and put the club endoscope in to have a look, it was as new inside.  The endoscope is used to inspect loco boilers for defects. I think he had used Humbrol paints as I matched the original colours without problem.

When I first went to see the couple I was talking to the husband and after 5 minutes he said it was no good talking to him his wife was the technical one.  He was all hail fellow well met etc don't think he knew much, except how to earn money!  She was a Physics and maths teacher at the local private secondary school.
But when we all got to know him, taught him how to drive a 5 inch gauge loco he was a lot of fun.
These days we all have the ability to restore to better than the original, our materials and glues etc are excellent.  However I am still gearing myself up for the 100+ years old yacht I have upstairs!
But I do have a very fragile 36R a lot like Playaway from about 1938 to practice on.  Just a shell and a wobbly lead casting in the keel.  It looks nice and I have some old gear from a 10 Rater, sails, spars and am looking for a mast to try and keep it contemporary.  I have some nice looking vane gears but I think I shall just fit radio.
kind regards Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:10 pm »

However I am still gearing myself up for the 100+ years old yacht I have upstairs!
I've got one like that to attempt... !!!..... I'll take some better photos over the day or so but this is it below, it's an amazing hull but I have very little information as to rigging etc, though I get the feeling it may actually be a French.
The hull is big, wide, deep and hollow so I get the feeling it would carry a good bit of sail. The bowsprit is broken, so I have no idea how big that should be and all sails and spars are missing... A doodle then ! ..  :embarrassed: Any ideas much appreciated...

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:45 pm »

Hi Mike, wow!  I can see a bowsprit that looks about right but what are the measurements?  Can you do another photo showing the deck?  My 'oldie' is in better shape with a deck.  Yachts of this age were mainly gaff rigged, the bowsprit suggests 2 jibs.  It looks like there is a complete keel.  The aft part of the keel looks like it might go on to have a rudder but only if there are signs of one having been there.  Frequently the rudder was sitting on its own as near the stern as possible.
Is it bread and butter construction?  Or perhaps solid?  After a long look I get the feeling she is about 2 feet long
  Assuming there is a deck does it come off?  Do you have a place where the mast should be?  Are there indications as to whether it had Braine steering?

There are quite a lot of photos on the net of gentlemen with their yachts which might help.  If you can put together a few more photographs send them to Russel Potts of the vintage Model Yacht Group, he is a fount of knowledge, but make sure you have all the dimensions.  He is very good with the old commercial market as well.

More please!kind regardsRoy
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.