Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SMOKE ON THE WATER RIP JON LORD  (Read 2078 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
SMOKE ON THE WATER RIP JON LORD
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:22:13 am »

I have just heard that Deep Purple Organist,and composer  of so many of their Rock Anthems, has died of Cancer aged 71. I have been a fan of Deep Purple since 1970,when I went to the Bath Festival of Blues,and although they were not on the bill,a record shop was playing "Child in Time" which I still listen too.A man of much talent,he wrote full Concertos also. A true star,and Legend.

ACTion

Re: SMOKE ON THE WATER RIP JON LORD
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:04:56 am »

I saw Deep Purple live at the Colston Hall in Bristol in 1971 - to say they were loud is an understatement! Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore created a unique band of real musicians - one which was never equalled in sheer power (forget Lemmie, Ossie and Co - amateurs). Thanks for the memories, JL. Another musical hero down.
DM

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:10:09 am »

I saw Deep Purple in Brighton back in the day, and apart from King Crimson, they were the loudest band I've ever heard in an indoor venue, my ears were ringing for days afterwards.

May you rest in peace, Jon Lord...as DM says,  a true musical hero.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:30 am »

Dave,
 I was there! The only seats we could get for Colston Hall were behind the stage "up in the gods" I think they call it. I was pleased when the band acknowledged we were there as well as those in the main hall. What spoilt it,was there was no standing up allowed,everyone had to stay in their seats.I tried to take a photo,and the bouncers very quickly tried to find where the flash came from.The photo didn't come out anyway. Ashton Gardner and Dyke were the support band,they were good too.
We had to leave before the end, to catch the last bus back to Weston,where we lived,which came almost half an hour late,so we could have spent more time for the finale.
What a night, I was hooked properly from then on. I hated the David Coverdale version of the band though.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:14:18 pm »

I've seen them a few times, great band, I still play their music; and Rottweiler I was also at the Bath Blues festival in 1970 and the one day affair in Bath the previous year. It was at the 1970 festival I saw Santana for the first time and that became one of my most liked bands.

I was also at the 1969 Isle of Wight Festival with Bob Dylan and the Band, and the 1970 IOW Festival.

Great days! RIP Jon Lord.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

Bath was my only large music festival.I was actually working,selling coca cola from one of the tents doing the same.We ran out after the first day and had to have more helicoptered in.I couldnt get any sleep at night,for all the hands feeling around in the tent trying to get some freebies (stealing!) I ended up moving all the stack into the middle of the tent,and laying on top of that,whacking hands with a stick.I had never earned so much in 3 days £300 in wages,so you can imagine how much coke made with 6 tents!
I remember hearing Santana,and Canned Heat.
Happy Days

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:12:58 pm »

I saw Deep Purple in Brighton back in the day, and apart from King Crimson, they were the loudest band I've ever heard in an indoor venue, my ears were ringing for days afterwards.

May you rest in peace, Jon Lord...as DM says,  a true musical hero.

Rich
You couldn't have beaten the concert I and my mates went to at the Mountford Hall,Liverpool back in 1970/71? though for loudness during our first year at college........Deep Purple opened the bill, to be followed by Led Zeppelin....I couldn't hear my b***** lecturers for 3 days,after the concert, {-) {-) {-) {-) lol

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »

I think Black Sabbath was a serious contender with DP for loudest bands around.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

I saw Deep Purple at the Caird Hall in Dundee on Apr 74 the support band were Elf, and the front stalls were £2,also saw Led Zeppelin,with support from Barclay James Harvest, at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in Feb 1970, front stalls £2,2 shillings in old money,i still listen to these bands,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.