Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MTB Conversion  (Read 2639 times)

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
MTB Conversion
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:41 pm »

Finding a cheap MTB in the shed I decided on some practice for the Nimitz build so I converted the stupid vector drive with the little 6V motors on each side of the hull to something more with a bit of a sting in it.
Motor EDF Outrunner - Turnigy P2627L-4200
Hobby wing EZRUN car brushless esc with fan
The old stainless steel shaft prop shaft and brass prop 30mm dia from the Hussy Eco Boat
7.4v 2S Lipo
Old jaguar 27am 2 channel radio Pistol grip style
Mini Servo and rudder from old small sailing boat cut to size.

I don't know what type of MTB it is supposed to be but when I am finished with it it will look the part.
I have done the bath tub test, blalance good no leaks opened the throttle and it wanted to leap out of the tub so will see how she sails tomorrow weather permitting.
Charles

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MTB Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:00:30 pm »

Looks nice Charles  :-)) - looks very similar to my Robbe PT15, I have just converted too....restoration build a few below yours !

Interested to see how she goes  :}

CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:43:05 pm »

Good luck Charles my youngest had one of those. Worked once then rusted up so i fitted a speed 400 on a single shaft with 15amp esc and 7.2 v batttery with rudder and servo. It goes like the preverbial poo of a greased shovel now. Trouble is it goes as fast backward as forwards and a 6 year old couldn't understand why it can go flat out both ways until going backwards flat out went to the bottom

Glen

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:50 am »

Yes I have been watching your build and really great STUFF thats when I thought about the one in the shed sitting there for years 4 I think.
Today is test day so if its not too muddy I will be taking her out along with Soveremenny who wants a run.
I like that Glen haha very good well with this EDF should go well also capable of 11.1 but I dont think I would be game until I fixed my
rescue boat up which is in dry dock at the moment waiting for a few new fittings/
Will see what happens anyhow

Charles

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:57:39 am »

Glad it gave some inspiration to dig the old gal out the shed, good luck on the test run today - hope the weather holds for you  :-))

Let us know how she gets on.

CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:23:57 am »

Well report time,
Beautiful day at the Billabong with me and the dog the only participants oh yes he flushed out a couple of Roo's so he had a bit of a chase which is good get some of the fat off him.
The MTB was put into the water and performed well. I did not have top decks on her but just the Hull with the setup as shown and she flew.
No overheating probs as yet maybe no deck helped but after about 6 mins I noticed her slowing down and when I got her in it was the propshaft had come loose from the main connection to the motor.
She had a lovely sound to her with the EDF also like a jet whistle haha
So I called it a day. however I am more than happy and will just have to hit her up with some Loctite on the screws for connector and she should be aok.
Will now proceed to give her a coat of Dark grey all over and then do the green cammouflage work to finish her off.
I also have modified the (I dont't know what you call them) but the ropes around the boat so you don't fall overboard.
Anyhow on this model they were chromed and had 3 ropes which I have cut down to 1 top rope so looks much better to me.
So thats about it will insert picture when its finished.

Charles %)

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:05 am »

:-)) Nice to hear she went OK Charles, sounds like you got the mix just right - Just sorting out my replacement motor now !!

Yeah - I also threadlock all my running gear just to make sure, I have lost the odd prop or two on testing !!

Will be interested to know what colour scheme you will give her, and I also cut down my stanchions and guard rails, .3mm wire gauge and .4mm chain jewellery crimped together and then to eyelets on the deck.....

Just finishes it off nicely  :-))

Can't wait to see some more pics of her finished.

All the best

CJ

Armo61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

Okay did another test today and passed with no problems at all so loctite has done the job for today anyway haha
I have given her the first coating of paint today and a bit or a wee bit more work to do until I am happy with the result.
Here she is so far will look better hopefully next lot of pictures. Once again I used the Webcam as its all I have at this time.

So what started off as a cheap chinese toy I think is starting to slowly look the part.

Charles O0

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »

Looking good there Charles  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.