Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glow plugs  (Read 3772 times)

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
glow plugs
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:38:57 pm »

anyone know what the best glow plug is for a irvine 61

thanks Brian

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
Re: glow plugs
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:31:51 pm »

Thanks Martin thats helped a lot

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:58 pm »

anyone know what the best glow plug is for a irvine 61

thanks Brian

Depends what % nitro you will be running it on, if its around 5 -10% try a McCoy 9 or and OS 8. You can get the OS plug at most model shops selling Glow stuff. The McCoy is available from www.jotika-ltd.com .....enter the shipwrightshop then the powerboat section.

Cheers
Scoop
PS ....When you have done that we would welcome you at our BMPRS races  :-))  :-))  www.bmprs.co.uk
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:16 pm »

thanks scoop but having seen the web site and boats i dont think my sea queen would keep up  {-) {-)

but will pay a visit one day

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:05 am »

Depends what % nitro you will be running it on, if its around 5 -10% try a McCoy 9 or and OS 8. You can get the OS plug at most model shops selling Glow stuff. The McCoy is available from www.jotika-ltd.com .....enter the shipwrightshop then the powerboat section.
Most of my engines on 10% nitro work fine with Taylor plugs but higher nitro does need a stronger plug such as the  McCoys and you can get the McCoys from Tony Ellis at Model Marine Supplies.

ids987

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:07 am »

To some extent, I'd say whatever you can get at a decent price - in the medium heat range. Almost anything except Model Technics glowplugs - which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. As an aside - on the fuel thing, personally, I wouldn't go above 10% nitro with an Irvine .61 anyway.
Notwithstanding the above. I think these are a cracking deal http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ODonnell-Racing-High-Performance-Medium-Glow-Plugs-x-6-/110916479850?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item19d3232b6a#ht_1675wt_814
In my personal opinion, the Odonnell glowplugs are hard to beat - at any price, and I would choose them over any other glowplugs I have used. At that price, I think you'll find it hard to find anything much cheaper too. The only downside is that they won't stand 2V (they used to a few years ago, but I assume they made the elements shorter to save costs, and a 2V accumulator now blows them almost instantly), so a nicd/nimh energiser, or some means of controlling the voltage, are a must.

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:31:27 am »

thanks ive been useing 5% fuel just got some 4 plugs medium to hot for £9.90 we ll see what there like when i get them

tugs62

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:51 am »

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:03:30 pm »

The Odonnel "blues" are a good plug and you can find them on sale occasionally the last batch I found were $1.99 each.
Otherwise I use K&B HD's with 60% nitro content.
Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 05:08:14 pm »

Scoop, what makes for a good plug?

I've used various ones over the years the the really expensive ones ( OS ) seemed to blow as quickly as the cheapo ones ( Taylor )......  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »

Scoop, what makes for a good plug?

I've used various ones over the years the the really expensive ones ( OS ) seemed to blow as quickly as the cheapo ones ( Taylor )......  {:-{

A good plug ?......One that doesn't blow  {-) {-) {-)
A well known racer complained to me recently that he had just blown a plug and was really annoyed as it had only been in the engine for 15 years  {-) {-) {-)
I think Ian has already said it......manufacturers are cutting back and the element quality is not so good (probably not as much platignum in the coil) these days.
It really boils down to using the right plug grade for the right nitro content, of course every manufacturer has their 'own' grading/numbering system for cold, medium and hot plugs........the best policy I've found is to seek out those who never or rarely blow plugs and ask them  ;)

Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:33:18 pm »

I know Scoop has already answered but in case you need a bit of a read - :}
Everything you always wanted to know about glowplugs!!
http://www.holdfastmac.com.au/howglowplug.html

Boats have different requirements to cars or planes. Planes have a nice fan in front and cars are only on full throttle for seconds at a time, whereas racing boats need full power for lots of minutes.
A bad plug will make starting difficult and may cause the engine to cut out at lower revs.  A good one will be the cheapest you can fnd that will keep glowing!
When you take it out after a hard race, it should be medium brown colour (unless you're using fuel with a lot of castor, then it will be black).

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Danny

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »

The cost of platinum wire will be doubling soon, so in the great words of our spectacular government, EVERYBODY PANIC BUY!

I like the Cipolla plugs, from 308 Hobbies or Ian Folkston :-))

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »

Generally, stock outboards will run a plug all year. Once you throw a pipe on though, on any engine, its a different story.....but if things are right......no issues.
Only takes one variable to throw it all out the window no matter what plug you run.
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.