Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wallasey Ferry Fleet Chart - 1961ed  (Read 2018 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
The Wallasey Ferry Fleet Chart - 1961ed
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:46:29 pm »

Hi All

I was recently kindly given very many old copies of model mags. My coffee intake has certainly risen since.
I keep coming across names like Colin Bishop - now that rings a bell somewhere %)

52 years ago in 1961 (Nov ed) Model Maker had an item by G.B. McGraw (title above)

It is a little gem that might never be seen again so I scanned it (me using technology - a very rare occasion)
I hope the Mersey lads enjoy it - the writing is quite legible when opened up and clicked on once again.

It took a while to load so I assume it breaks the rules - If a mod could resize it in a day or two I would be grateful

Dave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: The Wallasey Ferry Fleet Chart - 1961ed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:36 pm »

George McGraw was one of the best model builder of his generation and was often to be seen at New Brighton. Perhaps the most notable model was of the former New Brighton Lifeboat "William and Kate Johnson", he built two others as well, one was an Aran and I can't remember what the other one was. When he passed away about fifteen years ago, they were left to members of his family, the last sighting was his grandson sailing the Will and Katesome time later; unfortunately, I was lead to believe that there had been some sort of falling out in the family when one was sold against the wishes of the others. this would have made George very sad indeed, but such is life I suppose.

LB

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »

As someone who started his life voyage in a place called Seacombe, one of my earliest memories is being dragged away from the glass cased model ships at both Seacombe ferry and Liverpool pierhead when Mam and myself went' over the water' to do some shopping  (without looking at that 'rude' statue' as Mam called it !

Bill
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:16:26 am »

LB - Thanks for the local info on George - not just a name in a magazine now

I was wondering if anyone could give an update for post 1958?
Just for the ships details table. 

Dave

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:29 am »

As someone who started his life voyage in a place called Seacombe, one of my earliest memories is being dragged away from the glass cased model ships at both Seacombe ferry and Liverpool pierhead when Mam and myself went' over the water' to do some shopping  (without looking at that 'rude' statue' as Mam called it !

Bill

I too have gazed upon the lovely models of the ferries, there were also fine examples on display in Earlston Library (Wallasey) and Birkenhead library, although I don't know if they are still there. About 20 years ago I had to repair some broken windows in the basement of Birkenhead Library, whilst moving shelves out of the way I came across dozens of sets of plans for Mersey ferries, needless to say, the job took about 4 times as long as it should have. It wouldn't surprise me if they have now been consigned to a skip by some petty official or other....
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:10:11 am »

There are still traces of George out there LB - this one's a Mona's Queen plan

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16851/mona's-queen-mm1268

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.