Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings From California  (Read 2685 times)

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
Greetings From California
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:08 am »

By way of introduction...

I'm a warship modeler, interested in naval history in general, and WWII naval history in particular.

Although I consider myself a Californian these days, I was born on the east coast of the US, an area that has a rich maritime and naval history. I was born at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, where my father was an instructor in deep water hard-hat salvage diving. Having grown up on and around naval bases in Maryland, Yorktown, and Norfolk Virginia, and having spent so much of my childhood on and around warships with my father, I suppose it was natural to develop an interest in naval history. I became an avid model builder from the age of 10, and I'm still building model ships to this day, 53 years later. I belong to a club of 40 crazy guys who build RC 1:144 scale WWI and WWII warships that we arm with CO2-powered guns that fire steel balls for ammo, and then battle them in Axis vs Allies fleet engagements. Our club, Western Warship Combat Club, has a website here: http://www.westernwarshipcombat.com

I'm also interested in photography (I would call myself a serious hobbiest.), and have extensive collections of digital images I've taken of various WWII museum ships in the US - and my latest, the 1/10 Yamato museum model in Kure, Japan - that I share freely with fellow modelers:
  • USS Texas
  • USS Alabama
  • USS Laffey
  • USS North Carolina
  • LST 325
  • Yamato 1/10 scale model

I also shot extensively when the USS Iowa was towed under the Golden Gate bridge in May of this year, outbound to Southern California to start a new life as a museum ship.

My RC models, all 1:144 RC, include:
  • DKM Lützow (German "pocket battleship" - combat ready)
  • le Fantasque (French "super destroyer" - combat ready)
  • USS Cimarron (fleet oiler - combat ready)
  • LST 325 (operating ramp, clamshell doors, RC tank that rolls down the ramp and onto the beach - combat ready)
  • Elco 80' PT boat (on the ways)
  • DKM Bismarck (on the ways)
  • USS North Carolina (planned)

I hope to learn more about ship modeling here, to share what I know with others, and to make new friends who share my love of history.

Rob Wood
Daly City, California (just outside San Francisco)

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Greetings From California
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:04:33 am »

Hi Rob and Welcome to the Mayhem!

We a enthusiastic bunch of  nutters modellers with a wide range of experience and interests.
 I don't think anyone does combat modelling here in the UK but I've always found it fascinating!

We'd love to see some of your models if possible and some of your photos of real ships.. if they are not classified secret!

Martin   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:27:31 am »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the kind welcome! I may start a thread about RC warship combat, just to share that particular nutty bit of the nutty bit, so-to-speak.  %%

On my models: Should I post them in this introduction thread, or elsewhere?

On my photos of real ships: Where should I post them?

I'll give you a taste here: This is from May, when the USS Iowa was towed from San Francisco Bay:

Rob
“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:34:03 am »

What a GREAT photo!

Really gives a good indication of the real size of these behemoths!

We have a section here for Full size ships: - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=87.0 - just start a new topic!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:51 am »

What a GREAT photo!

I agree, a fantastic photo on what appears to be a beautiful San Francisco day :-))

Rob, it might be a good idea to put your location in your profile so other members know where you are. This often helps when asking for assistance.

Peter.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 01:43:50 am »

Welcome Rob,you,re man after my own heart,all of the models i have are German WW11,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:39:41 am »

It was a rare day in the Golden Gate, that's for certain!

Thanks for the compliment, Peter, and I've edited my profile as you suggested.

Rob

I agree, a fantastic photo on what appears to be a beautiful San Francisco day :-))

Rob, it might be a good idea to put your location in your profile so other members know where you are. This often helps when asking for assistance.

Peter.

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 02:46:22 am »

Nice to meet you, Wullie!

I'm American (obviously), but there's just something about the German warships that sets them apart. Maybe it's the combination of angles and curves in their design that appeals to me, but while there's no doubt about the deadly efficiency of an Iowa, there's nothing else that comes close to the sweeping majesty of a Scharnhorst, Bismarck or Prinz Eugen.

What are you working on currently?

Rob

Welcome Rob,you,re man after my own heart,all of the models i have are German WW11,

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:42 am »

Oh, I don,t build Rob,....i can nail 2 bits of wood together,...but make a model from,a big box of bits.....no chance,...i buy other peoples creations,....
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:34 pm »

Hi Rob and Welcome

Although Warships aren't really my thing I love to read the build threads. You guys sure do some fine work with brass.
Nice researchers too - and I love that. So I do look forward to reading your threads soon.

Not a warship but I quite like the WW2 Chant types - odd looking. Japanese Izumo - is ugly yet appealing too.

Dave

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words! I just prepped and uploaded a series of photos to the "name the part" thread that illustrate how powder bags were moved from the magazine to the breech of a barrel on the battleship Texas. My photos were reproduced exactly as prepared, so I'm encouraged by that, and will continue to upload both full-scale and model-build series of photos that illustrate particular themes or procedures.

Meanwhile, I'm open to requests, as well, considering that I have thousands of photos that I can share.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.