Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: German Braves  (Read 2503 times)

splasher 1

• Shipmate
German Braves
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:47:09 am »

Hi all,            In 1962 the Federal German Navy took charge of two Brave class FPBs the Strahl and the Pfeil and after extensive trials with the boats they handed them over to the Greek Navy. Question, does anybody know whether the greeks took any other boats of this class other than these two if not then,i believe i saw them tied up to a jetty in Corfu gutted and derelict and had about three feet of water in the bilges this was about 1995 and since then i've wondered if they were the first two braves to be sold abroad .Sad sight indeed.  Splasher1. Mel   <:(

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: German Braves
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:51:32 am »

Mel

I dont think these boats were Brave class, the Braves were sold to the Haydon-Baillie aircraft museum after the RN had finished with them, the boats you refer to were built by Vosper based on the brave, I think the latter only had two gas turbines though...

Russ

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »

some info on Wikipedia  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_class_fast_patrol_boat

i saw them tied up to a jetty in Corfu gutted and derelict and had about three feet of water in the bilges this was about 1995

maybe an answer here http://www.bmpt.org.uk/boat%20histories/Ferocity/index.htm

There are still rumors however, of her being used in ‘clandestine operations – manned by non-RN personnel. It remains a mystery as to what actually happened to her after her ‘commercial’ career was over. Several Vosper Gas Turbine craft were later to be disposed of privately – some to Greek and Egyptian interests (the ‘Scimitar’ class and HMS Tenacity etc) but the final fate of ‘Ferocity’ still remains a tantalizing mystery

Xtian

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:35 am »

Thank you xtian, i will search on. :-)) Mel

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:02:02 pm »

Seem to remember that Brave Swordsman ended up as a target at the South Wales bombing range, seen pics of her in a poor state moored off Pembroke Dock between events.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »

Borderer and Swordsman were both used on the Aberporth range before being sold off to an aircraft museum.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:49:38 pm »

Hello Ned & Dodes and Russell,
                       thanks for you're input re these two boats ,i have found that the German Navy purchased two boats to the brave design but with enclosed bridges as Perkasa ,named Pfeil p6193 yard number 2544 and Strahl P6194 yard number 2545 these were the two boats handed over to the Greek Navy  and discarded by them in 76 & 79. Swordsman and Borderer were bought by as Russell said  Haydon-Baille. And now not wishing to drive you good peaple to suicide i'm consigning this can of worms to the deep.
                                                                                                                 Regards Mel

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.