Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uPVC doors and anti snap & anti bump lock recommendations  (Read 4543 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
uPVC doors and anti snap & anti bump lock recommendations
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »

Well, frightened myself to death after watching a few youtubes of how easy it is to break into a house with uPVC doors and eurobarrel locks! Had heard ads on the radio for replacements locks but never really got around to getting someone in to do this.

But a bit of, ahem, research and it turns out replacing the locks is a piece of pi, er, easy.

So, I've done a bit more research and come across at least 3 companies who make anti snap and anti bump locks for uPVC doors. These are Avocet, seem to be about the best, evva 3ks and cisa.

Has anyone got around to fitting anti snap and anti bump locks? Which make did you plumb for?

PS, I know people will say get a mortice lock, replace your uPVC door etc but apart from those options, Im more interested in opinions on these anti snap \ bump locks.

catengineman

Re: uPVC doors and anti snap & anti bump lock recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:02:24 am »

Avocet
Also with the added security if you tell your insurance company they may reduce the premium (mine did)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:06:58 am »

Just watched a lock-bumping video and I was truly amazed how easy someone could gain access to
your home with very little effort. I have front and rear UPVC doors and will be changing my locks.
There are also video,s on how to change your locks to anti bump/snap locks.
The most worrying thing is there are also video,s that show you how to make a bump key.

Thanks for the prompt.

john

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:28 am »

For your Information

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:20 am »

Had a new door supplied fitted with the "Avocet" lock, very impressed. When existing other UPVC door needed a new lock, I found these people :- http://toughlocks.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10

Only problem I had was the wait for delivery but, this was due to Avocet being sold and new owners getting up and running, now fully operational. You need to determine length of barrel required and the position of the retaining screw. The outside end of the lock is important as explained as this is the "snap proof" feature. Replacement should take no longer than 5 mins. and that allows for making a cuppa (even for numpties).

As a cost comparison, when in the UPVC trade, company I worked for charged £60 to supply and fit a standard "Euro" barrel which trade bought for £5.

Only connection I have with address given is as a happy customer. You can progress your account to despatch, then it's down to R/M which in my case occurred next day.

PS. Don't put keys in same pocket as change, new pence stick to them, there are magnets in the depressions of the keys  :-))

Regards   Ian.

PPs. Inserting key sideways into lock needs remembering - - - when you've had a pint :embarrassed:
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:00:39 am »

Sorry for replying to this post but the locks do keep my models safe. O0

Regards   Ian.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »

Thanks all.

The Avocet seem to get a good report. I know they had been bought out after some business issues. I did see something on another forum that questioned how you got in your house is the crims had tried to snap front and back doors! That's why someone suggested the Evva 3ks as they are snap proof (and also bump proof).

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:13:34 pm »

I seem to remember reading that no locks on PVC doors are effective against burglars with a blowtorch....

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:39:49 am »

Apart from a steel one, not many of any type of door is blowtorch proof. If a burglar wants to get in, they'll do it anyway, you're just making it more difficult. To gain entry if both locks are snapped? break the glass and use key on inside. A burglar can do this anyway but it makes more noise.

Regards   Ian.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:57:34 am »

I seem to remember reading that no locks on PVC doors are effective against burglars with a blowtorch....

Colin

So you dont bother with locks then? And how many burglaries have you seen reported where crims have used blow torches on uPVC doors?

Fact of the matter is, a determined crim will find a way into your home. But, it's like not leaving the keys in the car when you nip into the shops. You take steps to minimise how easy it would be.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:43 am »

So you dont bother with locks then?

Whatever gave you that idea? Of course I use up to date locks and bolts - I'm not daft! But there are reports of UPVC doors being melted, it's just one of the many methods burglars use although they prefer to be as quiet and inconspicuous as possible. In my area, someone wielding a flamethrower might attract the notice of the neighbours......

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.