Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTR Petrol Models  (Read 10364 times)

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
Re: RTR Petrol Models
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:11 am »

100% agree you get what u pay for ! rtr boats unless built by a person not mass manfactured leave a lot to be desired !

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:14 am »

If people want to go the scratch build way there are companys in THIS COUNTRY more than willing to supply a kit ,Dave at Prestwich does it and i will do it  :D,once i get a chance ill get some kits put together that include everything you need.Ill even throw in some build notes.
I do have some RTR packages in the pipeline too but these will not be  built on the cheap.
Might i also suggest  as Scoop said take a look at his build article in model boats mag which i might add is one of my hulls hes building  ok2,very informative and should help any new scratch builder put his boat together whoever he gets it from.
Mart

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »

100% agree you get what u pay for ! rtr boats unless built by a person not mass manfactured leave a lot to be desired !

That is a good point. I would imagine that most of the RTR boats imported into the UK from the far east come out of mass production lines staffed by people that have probably never even run or used the finished product.

Another aspect to throw into this discussion is one not based upon money or cost:

That is of course the priceless pure self satisfaction that you get from building your own boat from scratch. That includes the fact that no one else will turn up at the lake side with a boat identical to your own. For me, that alone is a great reason to go the scratch build route.

Cheers
Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 06:20:45 pm »

Most of the boats made in China are made by young kids who should probably be in school  O0.
Mart

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

agree totally with craig !

the other consideration is if you build it yourself when theres any problems you know whats need and how to go about the repair !

another thought is to see if anybody is selling a used boat thats been scratch built but having the knowledge about what your looking at is essential !

That is a good point. I would imagine that most of the RTR boats imported into the UK from the far east come out of mass production lines staffed by people that have probably never even run or used the finished product.

Another aspect to throw into this discussion is one not based upon money or cost:

That is of course the priceless pure self satisfaction that you get from building your own boat from scratch. That includes the fact that no one else will turn up at the lake side with a boat identical to your own. For me, that alone is a great reason to go the scratch build route.

Cheers
Craig

BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 10:22:35 pm »

I have read this thread with interest, and as a competitive racer of some years, agree totally with what has been advised, but would like to add another consideration.

I would not call myself a modeller, as the building of my boats is done in the least possible time so that I can get them on the water.
I know that there are many, who will take the time (and have the skill) to make a superb model which not only looks good but functions well.  I do not envy them this skill, as I enjoy the racing part much more than the building, but that's just me!

There are also a large amount of the general public who are not even aware of the different model boats and how you can use them, so we should not sneer at those who buy RTR boats and then use them as playthings - this is what they are - toys!
I know the argument that they will most likely break and the person will be put off racing boats for life, but this will happen anyway with many different types of 'impulse buy'.

Now, if that person has joined a local club or a racing society, they will most likely be offered help to get the thing running (perhaps more slowly than some of us are used to) to the joy and gratitude of the owner.
Perhaps from this beginning, the person will watch the faster boats with envy, and then want to 'improve' their hobby.  This is when they will see the advantages of building their own boat - after they have gained a little knowledge about what is wrong with their current pride and joy!  You could say that this will be wasted money, but very few begin a hobby with the very best equipment, be it golf, flying or whatever.  So this at least gives them an introduction to the world of racing boats.

There will always be those who "want it now", the only input being the outlay of their money!  They will often move quickly on to the next 'fad' which takes their fancy.  It happens in all hobbies.

So please be nice to those who have brought their 'toys' down to the lake.  Remember how most of us started - little knowledge but a lot of enthusiasm. All they need is a good example and a few friendly words.  Eventually they will realise that the advice is good, and maybe take heed of it.
Cheers
Danny

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:53 am »

While I am the opposite, and enjoy the build, You have said it very well Danny.
I whole heartedly agree.
Foster the new beginner, and just maybe they will be there in the future to carry on our hobby after we have moved onto the bigger pond in boating heaven.
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:21 am »

When I first started in RC planes I had a similar problem with a few members who basicaly sneered at my quite battered second hand RTR setup saying that it was outdated and I needed to change this and change that.  My instructor said to leave it be.... It works fine for what I need right now and it did I used that plane for 2 years without changing anything.  Whereas the sneerers spent more time tinkeriung with their models than actually flying.
I did go on to build my own models but there is a place for RTR in most hobbies as not everyone has the time to spend building a model.
Hobbies are supposed to be about enjoyment and if building is not your thing then why not buy RTR.
All the planes I use now are either Plug N Fly or ARTF, tho I do still have my Fokker DR-1 I built from plans
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:47 am »

I have never owned an RTR plane or vessel.......but I do agree there is a place for them

Let the sneerers sneer........well said....... :-)) .....

My 12 years to date  {-) project [scratch built hull / steam driven paddle wheeler] will only be completed in retirement......... %).........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 07:00:31 am »

Thank you all very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

Reece

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:26 pm »

I Dont think i or anyone else was sneering at Reece i and others were mereley trying to save him some heartache which trust me spending £600 on a poor quality RTR boat would bring ,not only that but in todays climate can anyone afford to throw away that sort of money i cant thats for sure.
I agree there is a place for RTR boats but like ive said be sure of the quality of the parts used or you will be left disapointed and out of pocket with little to show for it.
Personally id rather save up a little longer spend a bit more and know i have something of good quallity.
While i aggree if someones bought something like that you shouldnt sneer or make fun i dont think we should stand by and let a newcomer go ahead and buy something that HE WILL REGRET thats just my opinion.
We as experience builders owe it to the newcomers to give them the best advice possible so they can avoid the mistakes that many of us have made in the past.
Mart

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 02:23:24 pm »

I have too agree with mart i only ever brought 1 rtr boat but was fast electric cost me £300 by the time it hit the water id spent another 200+  and ended replacing the parts that just wasnt upto the job it came with and all i wanted was a plug n play while i was building my own
lesson learnt and would never do it again
Save some extra money and pick a hull that will cope with the conditions where you run and build using decent parts,HOR hardware is quality without costing the earth and build your own boat theres enough guys on here or some1 closer that will be more than willing to help you complete the build
Or 2nd option buy 1 that some1 has already built up and save some on build time and money 
JMO but good luck with what ever you decide  :-))

phillnjack2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 02:00:50 am »

i like that about chinese stuff made by young kids who should be in school  ha ha.

phill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.