Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WEED PROBLEMS  (Read 4380 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
WEED PROBLEMS
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »

With all this hot weather a number of ponds are starting to get weed problems.

Southend has some floating weed but can't really tell if it will clear if there is a wind - frog spawn type weed!

Does anyone know about Maldon as was thinking of visiting there this Sunday.

As an alternative was thinking about sailing at South Woodham Ferrers - does anybody know anything about this pond as the pictures look good albeit there are some large islands.

Some ponds have used ultrasound to kill that sort of weed (Round Pond in Kensington) but whilst that has worked it is not fully effective against another sort of trailing weed.

Maybe an idea for us to post regular updates as to water conditions?

Thanks

Geoff

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WEED PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

there was a sailing regatta at Southend last weekend, mostly marbleheads. The weed caused a few problems but wasnt too bad, hopefully it will not get worse. Coalhouse fort in Tilbury is another good sailing water, deeper than Southend & theres always a good breeze, you can free sail there anytime, but its worth checking they dont have a meeting there.

Glenn
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »

there was a sailing regatta at Southend last weekend, mostly marbleheads. The weed caused a few problems but wasnt too bad, hopefully it will not get worse. Coalhouse fort in Tilbury is another good sailing water, deeper than Southend & theres always a good breeze, you can free sail there anytime, but its worth checking they dont have a meeting there.

Glenn

weed free it's salt water!

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »

weed free it's salt water!

I must have missed the bit where i said it was weed free  ;)
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:08:48 pm »

How about the blue green stuff? :(( :(( :((

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

As a member of Southend Model Boat Club I checked the water on Wednesday evening and there was some floating (frog spawn type) weed in small clumps accross the pond but to be fair there was absolutley no wind at all so it may well blow over to one side. From appearances probably not an issue for yachts but those with props may have some trouble.

Coalhouse Fort at Tilbury looks to be a great venue and may try that this weekend, just for a change and because it's not too far away. Can you sail on the whole of the moat of only the smaller part to the left?

Thanks

Geoff

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

How about the blue green stuff? :(( :(( :((
Ah good old Anacystis and Microsystis, can't be missed as it's a lovely turquoise blue colour, do not get the algael scum on your skin as it can cause burns and liver damage. Keep your dogs away from it as well.....very nasty stuff, if an animal (dogs, sheep, cattle etc ) drinks water contaminated with blue-green algae they can die within hours.  :o

Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

Geoff if you want a change please join us for a sail at Lake meadows Billericay Sunday 9.30 to 1 ish.No weed problems yet and a rescue boat if needed. Last year the lake had Blue alge and was closed for a couple of weeks.This could occur again. Thanks John.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:26:20 pm »

I went to Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury on Saturday (Sunday weather was suspect, and they got that right!). The venue and water were excellent, no weed at all and so far no sign of any. Modlling wise it was quite and I was the only boat but suspect this was due to the Olympics and that regular sailing is usually Sunday.

The car park is about 100 yards away from the main water and you can sail on both ponds (google it for a birds eye view) but the water was superb and large and fun as due to the "bannana" shape you have to exercise some skill in tacking to get from one end to the other. Also a number of yellow bouys were in place so you can sail round them.

Access to the pond is very good, mostly on one side where there are wooden abutments to keep the bank in one piece and quite deep - I would suspect about 2 feet at most points. There is access all round but the far side is more challenging as it's a natural edge with some concrete blocks support ing the side. Overall I would class access as very good and see no real problems anywhere.

All in all a very good days sail and certainly somewhere I would recommend and use again. I hope to see some other modellers there soon.

I know Lake Meadows (in Billericay) very well as I used to live there but wasn't aware there was a boating club or regular meetings - more details please?

Next on my agenda it to have a look at Maldon and South Woodham Ferres.

Geoff

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:41:51 am »

I have sailed , as a Guest, at the Brightlingsea lake, easy access, some of the friendlyest guys you can wish for and as the lake is brackish water, I should imagine no weed problems. Wednesday and Sundays if I remember correctly, before lunchtime. Everything except ic, there was even one guy there with a Seaplane! As I said, a really nice crowd! (They make a mean cup of tea and only 200 yards away is Batemans Tower which serves the best Bacon Butties in Southern England!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.