Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuming with rage! hotmail hacked  (Read 8323 times)

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fuming with rage! hotmail hacked
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:23 am »

Buckfasts fur ra weegies,...Thunderbird would have the other half thats not legless,legless, {-)as for hotmail...safer with nomail,....tellingbones safer albeit slower,
Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:18 am »

Hi all, quick update, Hotmail, in all its wisdom, has decided it can not verify my identity, despite my supplying all the information asked for. Ihey have now cancelled my account and I have lost all my contacts, messages the lot. There is no telephone support or email support, only their reset form. I have now moved to gmail and will not be using hoymail again. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >:-o >:-o >:-o
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:50 am »

Hi all, quick update, Hotmail, in all its wisdom, has decided it can not verify my identity, despite my supplying all the information asked for. Ihey have now cancelled my account and I have lost all my contacts, messages the lot. There is no telephone support or email support, only their reset form. I have now moved to gmail and will not be using hoymail again. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >:-o >:-o >:-o

Although a pain at least if the account is closed then no-one can use it.

Just out of interest why use Hotmail or Gmail.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:23 am »

Although a pain at least if the account is closed then no-one can use it.

Just out of interest why use Hotmail or Gmail.

Good question, have not heard a satisfactory answer yet, especially as most ISP's often provide more than one email address, at least they do here n Australia.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 09:51:28 am »

I suppose the other way, if you want more control over your e-mails, is to buy a .co.uk Domain through a reputable British domain host, one that is easy to contact and work with and then pick up your e-mails through Outlook or Thunderbird or even webmail, should you need to if you're away from your own computer. ...... I prefer this method to using my ISP for emails as there are other benefits by way of webspace etc..

It's not a costly business, have a look at http://www.seem.co.uk/ by way of example. I have no links to them but have heard very good reports of how they look after their customers.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

matphoto

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 10:35:57 am »

I use 1and1 for my domain and have five email addresses that I can use, I have never had any trouble with them and as already said I can pickup my email with windows mail or if away can use webmail. There is also 2gb free storage space with each email address.  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)

Mat

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

I suppose the other way, if you want more control over your e-mails, is to buy a .co.uk Domain through a reputable British domain host, one that is easy to contact and work with and then pick up your e-mails through Outlook or Thunderbird or even webmail, should you need to if you're away from your own computer. ...... I prefer this method to using my ISP for emails as there are other benefits by way of webspace etc..

It's not a costly business, have a look at http://www.seem.co.uk/ by way of example. I have no links to them but have heard very good reports of how they look after their customers.

I am on Virgin media and I can access all my emails from any Pc anywhere in the world, I am Assuming that that is the case with all major providers now, I know BT, VM. Tiscali all do.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:26 am »

I am on Virgin media and I can access all my emails from any Pc anywhere in the world, I am Assuming that that is the case with all major providers now, I know BT, VM. Tiscali all do.

Yes I'm sure that's the case. My point is more about owning your own domain though which does give you more control over the whole business..  I have Gmail and Hotmail accounts but I wouldn't trust them, as far as doing any serious business through them. It's all about horses for courses I suppose .... If you need a secure and reliable service, rather just an e-mail provider like Gmail or Hotmail who are just targeting adverts at you and not looking after your account securely, it may just be better paying just a bit more for it.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:36 am »

I have been using hotmail since I first got connected.  Its big advantage was providing continuity through several changes of ISP, although I keep the ISPs mailbox.  Handling them all through Thunderbird, I keep all the emails I think appropriate in Local Folders on my machine along with my address lists and its a fairly simple matter transferring between machines.
I cannot think of a circumstance where holding personally important information at some unknown location, at the whim of some unknown body of people, dependent on my being able to connect, is a good idea.  This includes this nebulous "Cloud" that the computer press thinks is so wonderful. mostly because they have yet to experience a serious failure.  
I notice that Hotmail is going through a renaming exercise, going to call itself Outlook.  Hopefully it won't do any damage.  Purchasing your own domain is probably good, but only as long as you pay the rent.  When that stops, or is missed, say goodbye to anything saved there.  Same problem as the cloud, with the added attraction that there is the chance that your domain might not be findable.  I did know someone a while back who had that exact problem.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:55 pm »

Hotmail is just a smaller version of the "Cloud" type accounts. Original Outlook Expires was a one shot read system. Hotmail can be read by those who "Need" to check on you, Theoretically (Oh yea?) Outlook once opened was deleted from the server.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:48 pm »

Purchasing your own domain is probably good, but only as long as you pay the rent.  When that stops, or is missed, say goodbye to anything saved there.

Like other emails, one downloads them to local folders and then backs them up, so there is no reason to lose them when or if you cease to upkeep the domain.  Mind you, you can save copies online should you wish but personally, I don't.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 01:25:20 pm »

Be careful everyone - there seems to be a LOT of virus and Malware crap flying about at the moment!   >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »

Yes there is - and free apps for phones has some very expensive ones included - you won't know until the bill lands.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.