Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:10 Yamato Photos  (Read 12584 times)

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
  • The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
  • Location: San Marcos, California (North San Diego County, USA)
    • My Combat Club Website
1:10 Yamato Photos
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:50:10 am »

Had the great good fortune of visiting the Yamato Museum in Kure, Japan last month. Took hundreds of photos. Here are a few...

Rob

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller
(when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: 1:10 Yamato Photos
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:09:16 am »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »

Wow! That's one big battlewagon!  Over 26 metres long?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:18:24 pm »

Great pictures! Thanks for posting. Would be great to see more if possible.

Andy

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
1:10 Yamato Photos: Stern
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:43:16 pm »

OK, I've decided to attempt to share the entire model with Mayhem enthusiasts - an exclusive! - by subject  :}

First subject: Stern

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re
behind us… they can’t get away this time” — Lieutenant General Lewis B.”Chesty” Puller

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »

Fantastic photo,s Rob, a model makers dream come true.If you are building a Yamato.

john

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

I'm glad people are enjoying these. It's far easier to photograph a model ship this large - especially if you can walk under it, around it, and above it - than to shoot smaller models. Also, it's easier to model details in a battleship model of this scale than in the scales most of us are used to. As a result, the photos in some shots seem like the real thing. I have to say that as a warship modeler, the journey to Kure from Osaka, which involved several hours on trains - including an hour and a half each way on a bullet train - was more than worth the time and money.

More to come...

Next: The pagoda

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »

250/100  Rob
Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:10 am »

Well done that man!!!! :-))  I'm really looking forward to this series of posts. Fantastic Stuff.

I'm currently building the Fuso to 1:100 and had looked at Yamato as a possible next project, but had been put off by the size even in 1:100. This thread has rekindled interest.

Andy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:36:23 am »

Great photos Rob!

What where your impressions, feelings as you walking up to 'model'?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »

What an absolutely stunning huge model, especially as you can walk round it, almost under it and view from above.
The ultimate pinnacle of the Battleship building era, eventually to be overwhelmed by aipower.
Thanks for the sharing your great phots.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Rob Wood

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Combat Club Website
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:33:19 pm »

Martin asked about my impressions upon seeing this amazing model, and I have to say that it's a fairly complicated task to sort them out, but here goes...

As I walked into the gallery that holds this huge model, my first impression was that it couldn't be a model, as it's larger than many large 1:1 boats. It's about as large as an Elco PT boat, for example. As a model warship builder, it was hard to wrap my head around its mere existence. It feels like a real warship, and as you can see in many of the detail shots, it goes way beyond the call of duty in scale fidelity. Example:

Most of these details are invisible to virtually every visitor to the gallery, as they're hidden behind the splinter shield, for one thing, and the only way I was able to get this detailed shot was with a 300mm lens. Another example: Look at the detail shot of the scout plane cockpit: every instrument is there, as is a detailed representation of the rear-facing machine gun. Again, details that require a 300mm lens at full zoom to see. So, you have a dedication to scale perfection on a gargantuan level that seems not based on what the visitor can see and appreciate, but on some higher level that I have only the barest theory about.

The next impression I experienced had nothing to do with the craftsmanship with which the model was built, but with the fact that it was crafted in that scale at all, with an entire building and museum built around it. As I looked around at the other visitors, I realized I was the only non-Japanese person in sight, and I got the distinct impression that, while what I was seeing was a gigantic scale model of a warship, what the Japanese were seeing was a monument to the former glory and pride of the Japanese people. To them, this is the Yamato personified, in some strange fashion. It's a shrine. Of course, I'm saying this from a Western/American bias - and it's important to keep in mind that my late father served in the very fleet that destroyed the original, so it was a very personal moment for me - and I could be completely off-base here, but if what I'm suggesting has any merit, then it would stand to reason that the Japanese would build the world's largest battleship model to celebrate and memorialize the world's largest battleship.

Strictly from a practical point of view, the Japanese have no battleships or heavy cruisers from WWII that they could convert to museum ships, as they were all destroyed - the last being the battleship Nagato which, though it survived WWII, was sunk at Bikini atoll in 1946 during nuclear test Baker. The Japanese, always resourceful, simply built a huge model of their most famous battleship, and made a museum of it. Maybe GB could borrow a page from that same book, and build a 1:10 Hood museum. Wouldn't that be an amazing project?

By the way, the museum consists of a great deal more than the 1:10 Yamato model. On display are submarines, torpedoes, naval artillery ordnance and weapons, plus a fully-restored Zero. There are also other models of the Yamato in different scales, as well as a large glass case that contains a model of every class of IJN warship and submarine, all in the same scale. I tried to take photos of everything, so if there is interest, I could do a thread on the museum itself. As this museum is completely off the normal tourist routes in Japan, it's not likely that very many Mayhem subscribers have visited it, and the only website devoted to the museum is in Japanese, and only hints at the various exhibits on display.

Rob

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 05:46:53 am »

http://www.yamato-museum.com/en/collection/collection01.html

The one-tenth scale model of the battleship Yamato (length:26.3m) is duplicated as accurately as possible, based on original drawings, photos, and underwater images done by submersible surveys. As the centerpiece of the Yamato Museum, this one-tenth scale model of the battleship Yamato conveys the importance of peace and the potential of industrial technology to future generations.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

The Japanese, always resourceful, simply built a huge model of their most famous battleship, and made a museum of it. Maybe GB could borrow a page from that same book, and build a 1:10 Hood museum. Wouldn't that be an amazing project?

Couldn't agree more, but with one proviso. Such a model should be based on the Clyde where she was built and not in London where virtually everything gravitates.

I could do a thread on the museum itself. As this museum is completely off the normal tourist routes in Japan, it's not likely that very many Mayhem subscribers have visited it, and the only website devoted to the museum is in Japanese, and only hints at the various exhibits on display.

Above and beyond the call of duty but would be greatly appreciated I am sure.

Andy

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »

It's not just a stunning model but the way is displayed is beautiful. I think that not only adds to the quality of the model but also the sense of reverence. Many many thanks for posting these superb pictures.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »

Couldn't agree more, but with one proviso. Such a model should be based on the Clyde where she was built and not in London where virtually everything gravitates.

Above and beyond the call of duty but would be greatly appreciated I am sure.

Andy

I heard on the radio today that an attempt is to be made to recover HMS Hood's bell.  What would more appropriate than it's display in a dedicated museum.  The only other ship I think would be as worthy for it's own museum would be the aircraft carrier Ark Royal
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:44 am »

Fitted with RC it would be truly amazing! :-) :-)
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 04:40:24 am »

Thanks for an all round interesting thread Rob
Can you imagine the satisfaction and pride of the modellers on completing the project.
A Hood Museum - Great idea.

Dave

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 03:37:03 am »

Amazing photos of an amazing model.  :-)) :-)) Can't wait to see more!!
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:55:16 am »

Fitted with RC it would be truly amazing! :-) :-)

I think it would want more than 4 x 400's and a 7.2V racing pack
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

bismarckman

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 09:15:25 am »

hi
please post everything you have
great photos
cheers
gary

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:37 pm »

Fantastic oppotunity to take the time to visit museum in Kure.
Thank you for sharing the photos. I have seen a lot of pictures of this model, but none that were shot using larger lenses.
The detail work stands out because you were able to zoom in so close.

8)

Here are a couple shots I archived from when it was being built.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 02:09:49 pm »

oh more please!!! and from Umi, just as intersting to see shots of her being built. hate to think what it cost!!
grumpy old XXX

yamato

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:17 pm »

Speaking as a Yamato nutcase,  your photographic
efforts are most welcome !   I'm building a Yamato and used the
1/10 yamato pics on webshots site many times - but it's just been
removed and replaced with soppy family type pics of cute puppies
and other such horrors. Luckily I downloaded quite a lot, and can
still access the two other good sites, plus various books.

thanks for your efforts.

Yamato 

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »

Hi what fantastic shots and what a model, perhaps you can answer a question about her hull.  What are the large cut-outs in the sides at her stern for? they look as though there should be some form of boat hanger or something stored there.
keep postig   Geo.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.