Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 SCALE HMS BARHAM conversion to HMS RENOWN after 20 years  (Read 10872 times)

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer

Hi,

a colleague has decided to upgrade his 20 year old 1:72 scale battleship HMS BARHAM into a more suitable WWII display model of HMS RENOWN.

We had thought about the project nine months ago and reckoned it might just be feasible. We accepted that converting a battleship into a battlecruiser would be quite a challenge but nevertheless took up the cudgel last winter.

The project is currently 66% complete and we have diarised and photographed progress over the last nine months.

From the outset the conversion was quite a lot more complex than we anticipated but now that we are at the current stage, we reckon it will be a reasonable success.

Just want to know if there is any interest in following the progress of this conversion on this forum, and if so, we would be happy to share the conversion with you all. :-))

The images are of the model of BARHAM as she was last year, and of RENOWN as she appeared in 1942.

Please let us know of any interest and we'll get started.

Yarpie and Robbie.

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:72 SCALE HMS BARHAM conversion to HMS RENOWN after 20 years
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »

Well I'd like to see how you did it and how you get on  ok2

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »

Hi Yarpie - it sounds like an interesting project and quite complicated - would like to see the metamorphasis on Mayhem -
would make a nice change from most of the standard warships we build.

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:05:03 pm »

I would love to see it.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:37:03 pm »

Yes please.

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:50:47 pm »

i would love to see it too

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »

And it's a yes from me too.

Jimmy
“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 06:05:24 pm »

I'll make that deux points from Huyton :-))

Dave

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:33:53 pm »

Yes please  :-)) :-))
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:20 pm »

Guys ..... thank you for your response. :-)) Especially the "groupies" from Huyton. O0

I'll take that as a "no" then. :embarrassed:

Well, our first consideration was to compare hull lengths and obviously a battlecruiser was longer than a battleship. Where each part of the hull joins (these models are 3 metres long) we faced a dilemma as to whether we would need to insert a distance piece of about 6" where the join is, or not.

HMS BARHAM's LOA was 640 feet which equals 106.7 inches represented in 1:72 scale. the hull was 116" long.

HMS RENOWN's LOA was 794 feet which equals 132.3 inches represented in 1:72 scale, 16" inches short.

The decision was made to accept the hull as it is and make the end product more or less 1:80 scale. This would fit in with the club's 1:72 WWII displays. Also, if the hull length was increased by 16" the whole perception of the model would change because the actual beam would not have changed.

We, (Robbie, the owner and original builder of the BARHAM model 20 years earlier) and myself (a friend and colleague) decided to go ahead with the project in the first week of December 2011.

Another of the primary movers in the project would be exactly where the hull  join would appear on the new RENOWN, and this conveniently fell right where the external gash chutes were positioned, thereby hiding the join. So the runes looked good.

First job was to strip down BARHAM and save anything that would match the conversion, and also to remove all paint and protrusions.

Yarpie and Robbie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

Nice to see the build being shown on the forum for the first time, I am mostly looking forward to the work of the Scotsman in the build...full steam ahead :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

That came out wrong! I am obviously looking forward to both your inputs into the build, its just that Robbie seemed to be getting so much out of the build, it would be nice to see why. Also, I know what it is like to work with a slave driver :}

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »

That came out wrong! I am obviously looking forward to both your inputs into the build, its just that Robbie seemed to be getting so much out of the build, it would be nice to see why. Also, I know what it is like to work with a slave driver :}

Many thanks kind sir! :-))

There are two schools of thought at present where Robbie (da owner) is concerned. He is delighted with progress at present (I think) and has resigned himself to be patient in order to get a reasonable result. Conversely, he thinks that, as we have not only taken on a conversion, but ultimately ended up with almost a complete build, why didn't we start with a new hull and keep the old BARHAM. %%

Yarpie (and da owner). ;)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:34:33 pm »

welcome back to the forum yarpie! what happened at the later stages of the rebuild you were doing on the Rodney/Nelson (sorry memory going,old age coming on!)
I followed it with great interest,and then lost touch.I would love to see more photos of that,and this conversion?
cheers,
Mick

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »

[quote author=Yarpie link=topic=38625.msg385381#msg385381 date=1343593558

Conversely, he thinks that, as we have not only taken on a conversion, but ultimately ended up with almost a complete build, why didn't we start with a new hull and keep the old BARHAM.

[/quote]
Funny that, when we 'converted' his old HMS Dolphin, a similar comment was made by my fellow re-builders  %%

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 05:42:51 pm »

unbuiltnautilus, it seems to be a common trait amongst muddlers then .................  %%

Yarpie.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »

welcome back to the forum yarpie! what happened at the later stages of the rebuild you were doing on the Rodney/Nelson (sorry memory going,old age coming on!)
I followed it with great interest,and then lost touch.I would love to see more photos of that,and this conversion?
cheers,
Mick

Great to hear from you Mick. :-))

Yes, I interrupted my build blog on HMS RODNEY when I had my little "rebellion", but I'm happy to resume that one as well, once I manage to pick up the break-off point.

Obviously RODNEY is in the water now that the refit has been completed and she doesn't look too bad.

I may leave unbuiltnautilus to pass independent comment as he is a sage in all things model boating. ok2

Yarpie.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 07:13:15 pm »

I may leave unbuiltnautilus to pass independent comment as he is a sage in all things model boating. ok2

Yarpie.

A lone voice in the wilderness, cheers :-))
Yes, Rodney is an excellent job well done, Renown may well surpass it when it hits the water...

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:25 pm »

Sorry to put you on the spot there unbuiltnautilus, but you are aware of the finished item and I respect your judgement above all else. :embarrassed:

Getting back to the RENOWN conversion, the first thing that struck us was the stempost shape. BARHAM (the model) had a straight stempost, whereas RENOWN had, noticeably, a hybrid bow, sort of a mix between 19th century and 20th century truncated ramming bow.

So this had to be sorted. Imagine the look on Robbie's face when I took a hacksaw and hacked three inches vertically off his bow. :o (No great shakes as he, bless him, is renowned for flattening his bow against the lakeside concrete). :D

I had an aluminium plate, 1/8th inch thick, which just fitted the bill. First thing was to cut out the stem post profile and pick a point some 3 inches away from where we wanted the bow to be. Then a line was drawn vertically down the bow and the hacksaw was produced. Yep, you read it correctly, a hacksaw. Neither of us is a 'chippy' but we can, as ex stokers, both claim to be 'hackers'. The plate was offered-up to where the bow used to be (image 1). It squeezed nicely into the recess lower down the hull, but tended naturally to swing to the left on the cable deck level, where the gap was much wider.

Two locating stops were cut out, both top (cable deck) and bottom of the hull (keel) to stop the plate moving any further aft as a result of a collision.

At this point Robbie correctly decided that the new plate needed some longitudinal strengthening otherwise the bow might shear off.

Four alumimium battens were then screwed securely to the plate at upper and lower levels and then passed into the hull. This would give further strength to the newly fashioned bow and could be back-filled with resin to solidify the new assembly. (image 2).

In both images, the hull is upside down.

Yarpie and Robbie.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:28 pm »

Once the plate and battens were held in position it was time to fibreglass them into the bow. Fore and aft alignment was critical.

The (blurred) :embarrassed: image shows the fibreglass applied to the plate. Once it has completely set, reprofiling can begin ......

(The hull section is lying on its port side in the image).

Yarpie and Robbie.

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »

glad im not the only person around here taking the saw to large models to modify them ! jon

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »

It's so therapeutic John, especially if it's somebody else's pride and joy. :D

Yarpie.

Yarpie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »

The fibreglass has been sanded down and some P38 (car body filler) added to fill-in any imperfections.

In turn this has been sanded down giving the finish shown in the images, yellow = fibreglass; grey = P38.

RENOWN had a plate protruding at the base of the stem (under the curvature) which had two holes drilled in it, this allowed for the securing of the paravane cables.

At this point we are becoming slightly more confident of success ....  ok2

Yarpie and Robbie.

Eric65

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »

Great work on the re-shaped bow! :-))

Will you be creating Renowns destinctive torpedo bulges?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 07:54:15 am »

i know what you mean , the model i cut in two belongs to my girlfreinds brother , which was a very sad looking coaster bought from fratton , which ive cut in half to enable him to transport it , just need to sort some form of seal between the two sections ? ?  you bow conversion is looking good  jon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.