Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TV question..  (Read 8387 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
TV question..
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:26:35 am »

Any of you up to date technophobes know the answer to this?

I have a Goodmans 22" flat screen tv with a FreeSat box in line, works perfectly well. I'm contemplating buying a new, bigger tv (42") with built in Freeview....ok so far?

Now, the question is this: Will I still be able to use my FreeSat box with the new tv? Or won't I need it?

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: TV question..
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:31:18 am »

I think the sat box will probably give you more features as in you can I think Record tv Rewind etc, although some TVs with free view can do this as well most don't.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:42:56 am »

Mine's just a basic FreeSat box, no recording/rewinding facilties, and the tv I have my eye on doesn't have those either. These new fangled electronical Tv devices confuse me. I guess it'll be a case of plug it all in, switch it all on...and take cover.

Rich
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:03:30 am »

If the TV has freeview built in then the freeview box wont be needed.  I'd keep it as a spare tho.... maybe put the old TV and box in another room
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:16:34 am »

Freesat - connects to a satellite dish, receives signals from orbit.
Freeview - needs a digital-capable aerial, receives signals from a transmission mast.

I'd have freesat (were I to have a television!  :embarrassed:) because they offer an additional service whereby you can plug the box into your router and get extra services (iplayer, etc) down your broadband connection.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ACTion

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:21 am »

As far as I can tell from the very confusing blurb around, there are many more free channels available via Freesat than there are on Freeview, so hang onto the box. BTW it's "technophiles" that lurv tecchie things - "technophobes" are scared of it (it's a "phobia").
Blame the Greeks.
DM

Timo2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:56 am »

Hi All

Check all the details on FREESAT @    ===  http://www.freesat.co.uk

Timo2

Hope this helps  :-))
Just a Buoy at heart

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:41:15 am »

If the TV has freeview built in then the freeview box wont be needed.  I'd keep it as a spare tho.... maybe put the old TV and box in another room

E2V...it's a FreeSat box I have, the tv has FreeView built in. Try and keep up...please.   ;D

Freesat - connects to a satellite dish, receives signals from orbit.
Freeview - needs a digital-capable aerial, receives signals from a transmission mast.

I'd have freesat (were I to have a television!  :embarrassed:) because they offer an additional service whereby you can plug the box into your router and get extra services (iplayer, etc) down your broadband connection.

Andy

Ah..now I'm beginning to understand Andy...we have a Satellite dish for each flat, so I guess the FreeView won't work with that then? So...I'll hook the FreeSat box up as before...or, buy the same tv without the built in FreeView and save myself a few quid.

As far as I can tell from the very confusing blurb around, there are many more free channels available via Freesat than there are on Freeview, so hang onto the box. BTW it's "technophiles" that lurv tecchie things - "technophobes" are scared of it (it's a "phobia").
Blame the Greeks.
DM

Ta boss...I do like my FreeSat, I often find some drag racing to watch on it, so it's decided then...keep the FreeSat.

(I think I fall into another group..."technofailures")
Rich
Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:43:44 am »

It's a Freeview set, it incorporates the functions of the freeview box, the Freesat box should plug into the SCART hole.
Modern sets have an amazing number of plugholes on the back - if one of them is a USB slot, you might be able to get a relatively cheap USB memory stick, plug it in and you have a freeview recorder.  Mine has it, I just haven't found anything that I actually wanted to record on freeview yet.  Sadly it won't record from the SCART input - Sky seem to have stitched that up.
A bit of recent reading has indicated that HM Govt, in yet another fit of thieving stupidity, intends selling a huge part of the frequency spectrum used by digital broadcasts to the forthcoming 4G network operators, which will probably mean that many of us just get left with the telesales channels.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:44 am »

It's a Freeview set, it incorporates the functions of the freeview box, the Freesat box should plug into the SCART hole.
Modern sets have an amazing number of plugholes on the back - if one of them is a USB slot, you might be able to get a relatively cheap USB memory stick, plug it in and you have a freeview recorder.  Mine has it, I just haven't found anything that I actually wanted to record on freeview yet.  Sadly it won't record from the SCART input - Sky seem to have stitched that up.
A bit of recent reading has indicated that HM Govt, in yet another fit of thieving stupidity, intends selling a huge part of the frequency spectrum used by digital broadcasts to the forthcoming 4G network operators, which will probably mean that many of us just get left with the telesales channels.

Oh lordy, I hate the perishin' sales channels as it is...those and the adverts they insist on showing drive me to drink! I do not wish to claim PPI, I haven't had an accident, I don't want to Go Compare, and I certainly don't need to buy a gold ingot.

I wish we still had our old 19" b/w Bush tv in it's shiny wooden cabinet, circa 1960...

Rich
Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:57:38 am »

we have a Satellite dish for each flat

Surprised you haven't two wall sockets in case some flat dwellers haven't got a Satellite box and need the Std. aerial for Freeview.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 11:14:18 am »

Surprised you haven't two wall sockets in case some flat dwellers haven't got a Satellite box and need the Std. aerial for Freeview.

Regards   Ian.

Now why didn't I think of that, Ian? Just had a ferret round the back of the tv cabinet thing...and look what I found. (had to chase off the odd spider in order to to see what was what....  <*<)

The l/h cable goes into the Freesat box, the r/h one goes into the tv.

Rich
Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:18:56 am »

Screwed one (Sorry net nannies) is for Sat. Push in one is "Digital" freeview connection.

Regards  Ian.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:23:22 am »

Ok, now I'm on the case...it's off to Sainsburys online store and order me new tv. Can't wait to watch the MotoGP on a double size tv...

Gentlemen...many thanks for the advice, as always it's very much appreciated.

Rich (well, I won't be in ten minutes time....)
Rich

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:38 pm »

Oh lordy, I hate the perishin' sales channels as it is...those and the adverts they insist on showing drive me to drink! I do not wish to claim PPI, I haven't had an accident, I don't want to Go Compare, and I certainly don't need to buy a gold ingot.

...and that's one of the reasons why we got rid of the TV!

(The other was the taste in our mouths after paying Mr Murdoch money for his 500-channels-and-nothing-on experience.)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

I don't have that Sky tv mullarky, it seems an awful lot of money to lash out each month. I 'spose I'd like Sky Sports for the drag racing, but I always seem to find it eventually online. Number one daughter has the full, all singing, all dancing 3D Sky package...it's ok, I guess, but it still seems to be a lot of outlay for a lot of advertising!

Rich
Rich

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 02:10:03 pm »

Rich

In case you haven't worked it out by now, you can continue to watch Freesat via your box, or Freeview via the new TV. Both will work happily. This is the setup we have, although we generally use the Freesat option, its useful to have the Freeview for severe weather conditions which sometimes affect the Satellite.

Barrie

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

It took a while for the old grey matter to become fully absorbent, but I did get there Barrie...your set up sounds just what I'm after.

Many thanks,

Rich
Rich

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »

Get your daughter to sign up for a multi room card for a tenner a month , root about for a digi box and hey presto you pay said daughter a tenner  and get the whole package she has at a quarter of the price ,,,, seeeemples

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »

If the Freesat box has a SCART or HDMI outout to the TV, just plug it into the new TV and that it.
Just sret the new TV to HDMI or Auc input.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »

Get your daughter to sign up for a multi room card for a tenner a month , root about for a digi box and hey presto you pay said daughter a tenner  and get the whole package she has at a quarter of the price ,,,, seeeemples

That might just be a touch difficult...she lives at the other end of the village to me.  <:(

If the Freesat box has a SCART or HDMI outout to the TV, just plug it into the new TV and that it.
Just sret the new TV to HDMI or Auc input.

It does indeed have said output Martin...new tv should be here tomorrow or Monday. MotoGP at twice size...heaven!
Rich

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 01:16:09 pm »

That might just be a touch difficult...she lives at the other end of the village to me.  <:(

not sure, but I think, the multiroom card is basically just another card that goes in the front of the box, and will work anywhere. You already have the sat dish, just get an old box and the multiroom card should work in it.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:58 pm »

Even Mudrocks minions are not stupid enough to see that Rich's Daughter doesn't have a second box rented/issued to her on the contract.   %)

Regards  Ian

wbeedie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »

Mibbees aye mibbees naw but Rupert doesnt have the monopoly on Sky boxes ,plenty for sale on fleabay or gumtree , just take it to daughters to set it up ie her phoneline so they can log it to the box disconnect and take it home , voila SKy much cheapness and stick one to news corp, its how a lot of people with holiday homes abroad or here do it , once the card is registered to the box it never needs plugged in again and even Sky cant tell where there sat signal goes

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »

Just a quick update, gents...the tv will be here between 0700hrs and 1200hrs tomorrow(02/08/2012)

Rich
Rich

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.