Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood's Bell  (Read 3657 times)

tony52

• Full Mayhemer

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Hood's Bell
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:25:47 am »

The Mail piece includes this line:

"Prime Minister Winston Churchill ordered the Bismarck to be found and sunk in retaliation and on May 27, it was finally destroyed after several days of attacks by Royal Navy ships and the Royal Air Force."

The RAF provided reconnaissance flights, of course, including a Catalina which spotted Bismark, but I don't know if I would call that an 'attack'. And I thought the Fleet Air Arm stopped being part of the RAF in 1939...

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »

although the "mighty 'oods" bell is away from the main wreckage,surely this is a War Grave,and as such should be left undisturbed.Personally I would like it left alone and remain at the site along with the 1000+ souls who perished with her.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »

Personally I see nothing wrong with it, if the RN does not retrieve it soon someone else will. Afterall several war wrecks have been plundered for valuable metals and it is not if they are going to disturb any bones, what worries me more will be the various rows over where and how to build this new shrine to the war dead.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »

what worries me more will be the various rows over where and how to build this new shrine to the war dead.

What shrine? My understanding is that it will be given to the RN Museum at Portsmouth and displayed as part of their 20th Century Naval Exhibition. Good place for it, along with all the other evocative items they have including those associated with Nelson.

We don't do shrines in the UK.

Colin

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »

and it is not if they are going to disturb any bones

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:44:40 pm »

It's about time that British pride is given a boost.  The Hood was a ship so famous that the sinking was reported around the world, she had been referred to as "the Pride of a Nation"  Perhaps this is why her loss reverberated in such a way.  Enough time has past that we should no longer have to keep apologising for having won the war.
   Hood represented our pride and it's to be hoped that her bell will be a symbol of the Pride and Honour that we owe to her crew and all the others men and women who have lost their lives in the service of our nation.  Too often the accolades these people richly deserve have been witheld because it was not politically expedient, just look how long it took to get a Bomber command Memorial or a medal for the Arctic Convoys.  We are British and we are proud!  Let's shout that a little louder!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT! Although I have no wish to start a political argument,either here or anywhere else.Why should we be sorry for bombing German Cities,we should not lose fact of the thousands that were killed when our cities were bombed.
It is a very sorry fact that civilians suffer through wars, even this very day innocents are being killed by un called for bombardments and rocket attacks.
If we want another bell to display, why not let the millionaire offer to bring back the Ship's Bell of HMS RAMILLIES, which now languishes in HMCS Star, just outside Toronto, and is more of a sailing club than a naval base. So few people ever get to see this bell,so bring it back where it belongs ! When I tried to get it back, the Portsmouth Naval Museum didnt want to know!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:25:57 pm »

The word shrine certainly sparked some, just that I presumed that a number of people will want it put in a prominent postion to remember those lost. Personaly yes put it in a museum with relative material for the future generations to learn from the past. Personally I always felt the nuc bomb was invented too late, I would have dropped it on Berlin in 1940, would have saved more lives than it would have taken, besides which this nation did not start or wanted a war.
As to the Artic convoy medal, I believe the Admiralty got it right at the end of the war, virtually most of the home fleet served on these convoys or area at some time and the winter North Atlantic covers most of the route and is just as vile. The real targets the Merchant Navy did not recieve any medals or any pay once thier vessel was sunk from under them, plus they where not allowed at the Cenatoph services until the late 1950's due to a lack of service personnel. Remember due to the slack cavalier attitude of the Admiralty Communications branch the Germans were reading all the Convoy signals through the entire war and accordding to the British Secret Service accountted for nearly 50,000 deaths in the Merchant Navy which could have perhaps been avoided.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »

I think we are getting a bit off topic here, let's not start refighting WW2.

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »

Hi Colin,
Totally agree with your sentiments, yes I think it is a great idea to recover her Bell for Pompey Museum, to most people the Bell is the heart of a ship, be great to see it back in port.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »

although the "mighty 'oods" bell is away from the main wreckage,surely this is a War Grave,and as such should be left undisturbed.Personally I would like it left alone and remain at the site along with the 1000+ souls who perished with her.

Problem is, if it is left where it is, with the technology available now, there's a real danger it will be plundered by some undesireables. So, while I tend to agree with your sentiments, and, as it isnt disturbing the wreck site as such, I think this is something that should be done.

Andre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 01:57:29 am »

Greetings,

As one from across the pond, I really think that bringing the bell up and creating a memorial to the brave men who lost their lives on that dreadful day is a good thing. This should give the family's of these men a place to remember them just as we built the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor to remember the men lost on her. When I was at the USS Arizona memorial there was a mother with her son looking at the ship and I overheard her say to her son "Your grandfather died on the Arizona and this is the first time I have been to his grave". It seemed to give her some comfort to see that her loss affected complete strangers and that her loss meant something to the rest of us. So bring the bell up, build the memorial and ring the bell on every anniversary of the loss of the men.

Andre

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 11:23:50 am »

When I was at the USS Arizona memorial there was a mother with her son looking at the ship and I overheard her say to her son "Your grandfather died on the Arizona and this is the first time I have been to his grave". It seemed to give her some comfort to see that her loss affected complete strangers and that her loss meant something to the rest of us. So bring the bell up, build the memorial and ring the bell on every anniversary of the loss of the men.

In Newhaven we have a memorial to the many Canadians who died in the ill-fated Dieppe Raid of WWII. We get plenty of Canadian visitors, especially around Remembrance Sunday, and I've heard them say very similar things either at the memorial or at Newhaven Museum, if they come in to look through the archives. There seems to be a very real sense of closure and comfort for the families. For that reason, fo the bell's historical significance and, as has just been said, to prevent it from being stolen from the site, I too feel that it should be brought up, displayed and, yes, rung in remembrance.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »

It is a sad reflection of our times that so much is plundered ( stolen) from wrecks. So i feel that to recover the bell and use it as a memorial is a good thing. Hopefully it can be recovered. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.