Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill switching for Gassers (petrol)  (Read 17818 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kill switching for Gassers (petrol)
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »

Your transmitter allready has a built in failsafe in the event of a loss of signal only thing it wont do is if there a loss of power it wont work,im asuming this kill switch will do that ?.
Ive never personally used a kill switch I just use the built in failsafe on the radio,ive lost signal once in that time and it worked fine, but ive never lost power all my connections are fitted and held with small zip ties so they cannot come apart unless I want them to,not saying these aren't a good idea just saying ive never used one..
Mart

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

Hi Mart
 The failsafe will close the throttle to it's lowest setting , which may or may not be low enough to completely kill the motor.
  This switch gives me the option of 1) killing the motor at will from a switched channel if I need to ( panic button?)
`2) When the failsafe operates the throttle closes AND the ignition gets killed so should be safe.

I haven't tested it yet by pulling the RX battery out while it is operating. The instructions do state that it does kill the motor since the contacts on the gismo go to the same state as they do when signal is lost or the Tx 5th channel switch is used.
 Not too worried if this does cut the engine or not as like you I have never lost a battery connection and use largish capacity Rx Nimh's with those little battery condition indicator LED gismos fitted on most boats. Just have to say that the FrSky compatible receiver I am trying seems to have a better choice of failsafe options than the Futaba receiver that came with the TX.

In my last post, I took Dave's comments at face value and assumed he meant thanks for publicising one of his bits of kit.  Rereading it, I think that he was being cryptic and wasn't too pleased that I had highlighted some other bit of kit that was cheaper. I am sure that his works just fine in the situations that it was designed for, I was just pointing out that I had found something that suited me  and that it worked with Futaba FASST kit which was something queried in earlier posts. Not trying to upset anyone

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 10:12:02 pm »

Its not hard to set the failsafe to kill the engine,you just set it so it completely close the throttle,works for me anyway  ok2 .
Mart

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »

Its not hard to set the failsafe to kill the engine,you just set it so it completely close the throttle,works for me anyway  ok2 .
Mart

Hi Mart,
 I have no experience with the modern gassers, so I am not sure just how effective the carbs are in shutting down the motor completely. With my old Gannet, once started it was very reluctant to stop without a manual kill switch.The old carb on that didn't really like shutting all the way! but hopefully things have progressed since then
 With this , I can be sure of it. Also the Futaba Tx/Rx combo I have only has failsafe on one channel (3) whereas , if I kill the failsafe on the Tx, the Frsky Rx gives me failsafe on all 6 channels so I can set the rudder to go hard over one way to circle the boat as well as throttle close and kill switch operating.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:21 pm »

Usually on the carb I remove the idle screw if it has one, throw it away then I set throttle to fully close the carb,engine will not run simple.Idle screw is not needed it gets in the way ,once removed carb can close properly.
Mart

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:30 pm »

Having just bought my first gasser ( two in fact, Zenoah G260PUMs both going cheap on Ebay)  this thread got me thinking re the failsafe requirement under BMPRS racing rules.  Having had a look around I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111113338056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
It promises to be able to be used on a switched channel as a kill switch, also working when loss of signal is detected or loss of power to the Rx.

these dont work with futaba fasst system or silimar ! i have checked the out the best failsafe by far on the market is the sparkout by docndave

mark
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:31 pm »

these dont work with futaba fasst system or silimar ! i have checked the out the best failsafe by far on the market is the sparkout by docndave

mark
I don't wish to get into an arguement, but it works perfectly with my 2.4ghz 6EX tx and both the FrSky rx's that I have
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.