Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: racingsparrow newbie question  (Read 2030 times)

drover

• Full Mayhemer
racingsparrow newbie question
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »

Hi, Just joined the forum after discovering the site while browsing for things boat related. My main interest has been in modelling scale figures and dioramas but I have, over a long period of time, scratch-built two model boats and am nearing completion of a third.

I am becoming more interested in model boats and would like to build a yacht as my next project and actually sail it rather than look at yet another model on a shelf. Having got a hold of Bryn Heveldt's Racing Sparrow book I think I might give it a go. After a first read through the instructions seem fairly clear (I  might have more questions if I get round to actual construction)

One thing springs to mind at the moment however, the instructions recommend waterproofing the batteries by putting them in a balloon. Is that the best solution? I would have thought it a bit of a nuisance when changing the batteries. I'd very much appreciate any comments.

Thanks, now off to see what interesting items are on this forum and get distracted/inspired by other model-making ideas.

CF-FZG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: racingsparrow newbie question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »

Hi Drover,

Welcome to the madhouse {-)

The batteries would be rechargeable so you don't need to remove them from the balloon :-))

Mark.
Mark.

Tonka Toys - Big boys toys :)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:59:38 pm »

Hi Drover

With my yachts (500mm and 1 metre), I always remove the batteries for charging and leave the hull open to dry out. Even with no leaks, you will get condensation inside the hull and corrosion WILL happen if it is left closed up from my experience.

I power the yachts with 5 x AA rechargeable Turnigy LSD - this provides 6 volts which is ideal for receiver and for most servos - most  yachts run two servos, one for rudder and one for sails (either a lever arm or a rotary winch)
These batteries with provide 6-8 hours sailing time no worries.

I built my own battery pack and did not waterproof it - if it gets wet it will air dry later.

If you dont want to build your own try these for under US$7
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=25030
Amateur at work...

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:14 am »

Hi drover, welcome. I built a Racing Sparrow last winter, my first plank on frame hull. Very easy to build, although I did do a few things differently to the original design, nothing major though. It sails well and looks good on the water. Regarding your balloon query I think it is a bit over the top to use a balloon. If you boat is as watertight as it can be, ( a yacht can never be 100% watertight because of the fairleads), you will not get a lot of water in the hull, normally none at all. You will find that in the sparrow hull there is just enough room for a standard 4 x AA cell pack and it is virtually impossible to get the pack in or out if you follow the design to the letter. I refer to the piece of ply onto which the sail servo is mounted. I also built a flat rather than concave decked boat. In my opinion it looks nicer and it is a lot easier to make the hatches watertight. In a nutshell don't use a balloon, go for the build, you will enjoy it.
Cheers, Terry.

drover

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »

Thanks for your responses lads. Clearly I've spent too much time with static models, should have thought about rechargables, proof that I must get out more.

Think I will go ahead with this yacht, once I finish my current projects of course, so no doubt I'll be back asking more silly questions.

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:41 pm »

Happy to help with any queries. no such thing as silly questions, we all need advise now and again, maybe just silly answers!!!

cheers, Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.