Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe odin motor  (Read 6600 times)

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
Robbe odin motor
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:10 am »

Good morning
I have a robbe odin i sailed it for the first time last sunday had it in the water for over two hour's on one 12volt 7amp battery very happy
My only problem is when you won't to stop the tug & go in to reverse it wasn't powerful enough  i was thinking of running it on 24volt's would that help will the motor take 24volt's
I have a 30amp electronize speed controller that will run on 24volt's

If you can help with info please let me no

Thank's Jason

poll

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe odin motor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:08:48 am »

Hi Jason.
   I think I would check the pitch on the prop first. It could have loads of thrust forward but nothing astern.

Good luck

John

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

You also may well get cavitation if running in reverse using more power. John.

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »

Hi Jason.
   I think I would check the pitch on the prop first. It could have loads of thrust forward but nothing astern.

Good luck

John

Hi john

You may be right about the pitch but getting a different prop as this is fitted with what i think is a dog drive i may be wrong
Iv take a few picture's of the prop

Ill give the 24volt's a go it can only go bang {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Jason

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »

You also may well get cavitation if running in reverse using more power. John.

Hi john s 2

Thanks for the reply i do get a small amount of cavitaion on 12volt when going astern what i am hoping for is on 24volt's that the RPM go's up a bit so i can slow the tug down a bit quicker
I have no info on the motor so if you can help please let me no

Jason

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 01:10:59 pm »

Hi john s 2

Thanks for the reply i do get a small amount of cavitaion on 12volt when going astern what i am hoping for is on 24volt's that the RPM go's up a bit so i can slow the tug down a bit quicker
I have no info on the motor so if you can help please let me no

Jason
Hi Jason, Is the motor you have fitted the one in the Odin Power Set (No.1086) ? If so you should really be running a Robbe 535 Navy Control ESC (part No. 8615), this is 35 amp and watercooled
If you run your present 30amp ESC on 24 volts the back emf produced when you go into reverse will almost certainly blow your speed controller, afterall it is turning a large (approx 4inch) prop......it may be that your present speed controller is not set up right.
Any increase in prop speed may make the cavitation worse.
It will be interesting to hear how you get on as I'm half way through an Odin build myself  :-))

Regards
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »

Thanks scoop
I do think the motor fitted is what come's in the odin power set
For the info as you are building the Odin do you have info of the motor i would like to no the RPM's
Iv just take a few picture's of mine i did not build it but i am planing a repaint not a fan of the kit colour's

Jason

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:18:47 pm »

Any increase in prop speed may make the cavitation worse.
Will, not may.  The prop converts energy from the motor into moving water.  A limit happens when it starts blowing bubbles.  The extra volts will likely make it go forward faster, but will only make more bubbles in reverse.
Its a heavy boat, with lots of inertia, so due allowance and consideration of its stopping distance has to be made when driving. 
Korts are designed to improve matters going forward.  This is likely to impinge on reverse performance.  How does it set off in reverse from stationary?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:17 pm »

Hi Malcolm
Thank you for your input. reverse from stationary very slow too much on the transmitter stick it just blow's bubble's  {-) {-)
 You are right about it been heavy  stopping distance is the key when sailing the tug. my thinking is when i sail on a sunday morning's down the club & a member with there model cut's a cross odin bow i would not won't to run over the top of there model

All i can do is run it on 24volt's see how i get on :o

Jason

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 05:11:13 pm »

Hello tugboyben.   I have had the same problem with the Robbe Odin drive train I have used them many times in the past and suffered from lack of astern power, the way that I got around it was to get a Propshop prop and just change it for the glass /plastic one.  Propshop do a dog drive prop that is a direct replacement and boy does it make a hell of a difference it is not cheap but it does give a heavy tug some braking power. it gives a better ahead speed and mor important it has the correct pitch for astern power, the plastic prop seems to have a convex curve to the astern side of the blades and just seems to slip in the water, well a phone call to Propshop me thinks.   Geo-B

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Hi ---- got the same prop and motor fitted to my  C-11 which is based on a Captain Jan hull by Robbe --- when I first built the kit  it was Kortless,
  going ahead was above average and stopping was quite good but steering astern was a nightmare so I obtained a Robbe Kort from one of the bargain
  bins at a show and converted C-11.
          The improvements were that going ahead and towing was improved dramatically, steering astern was more than acceptable but stopping was
  reduced considerably;  before and after adding the Kort full astern produced a noisy cavitation  --  on full size tugs with large props the Kort produces up
  to 30% extra bollard pull through the Kort and Kort Pintail due to its "Aerofoil Shape",but conversely it also looses astern thrust  from the aerofoil shape,
  this is applicable up to approx 12 knots ahead when the Kort drag outweighs the extra thrust.
          " PropShop" reccommend up to 2000 rpm for their 100 mm kort props, so doubling the rpm would be questionable  -- have a look at Big Bertha`
   motor change on the" udder" forum
          The Robbe motor is the best low revving and high torque motor I`ve used and a real shame its been discontinued.

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »

Hi tugmad
Thanks for the info propshop is the next stop before i go to 24volt's

Kind regards jason

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »

Hi unicorn
Thank's for the info.
Ihave seen you build of big Bertha on the tug forum fantastic build look's great on the water

I have a spare 1000 robbe motor shaft prop & nozzle thats for a project i have planed

Jason

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 09:06:20 pm »

Please dont ruin a good motor by 24volting it,it is only rated at 12v . All you need to do is change the prop and ALSO put some lead on the stern of the tug.The Odin does suffer a lot from cavitation and benifits from being slightly stern down tyr it first before you going blowing that motor up

Dave

tugboyben

• Kirkleesmodelboatclub
  • Full Mayhemer
  • HIGHNOON TUG BOAT
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:02 pm »

Thanks dave
I am going down the prop road & ill keep it on 12volt's as it sail's very well on that :-))

Thanks for all the help guy's i will let you no how i get on prop-shop prop's do not come cheap %%

Jason

scoop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:47 am »

Hi Jason,

As per your enquiry........The Robbe Power 1000 (part no. Best: 4474) is 6 - 12 volt low revving ( 2500 rpm ) very high torque motor pulling 2.5 amps @ 70% efficiency, max current is 10 amps, so as everyone else is saying....DON'T use 24 volts  :o

Good luck with the build and thanks for the info on the propshop kort prop chaps  :-)) might use one of those myself  :}

Cheers
Scoop
BMPRS Secretary/Pro www.bmprs.co.uk
PS. There ain't no going back
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.