Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Nymph kit build - noob  (Read 5278 times)

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
Sea Nymph kit build - noob
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:59:21 am »

I'm assuming this goes here. I recently got my Nymph kit from Vintage Boats and it is awesome. This is my first wooden boat build aside from some airboats which I am finding are way different. I am wondering if I should install the stuffing tube/prop shaft before I glue the false rebates onto the keel or if there will be enough clearance when they are glued to slide it in? Here is a pic

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Sea Nymph kit build - noob
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:15:43 am »

If I remember correctly when building my similar Sea Scout I built the frames up first, installed the tube then put the doublers onto the keel, which seemed to work well with the tube alignment but what do the instructions say that came with the kit?

In fact from this photo it shows just how far I went before installing the tube........ Glad you're enjoying it though, they are fun boats to build.  :D

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:58:49 am »

Who is the supplier of these kits?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:13 am »

Who is the supplier of these kits?
Ian

These are the chaps..... http://www.vintagemodelboats.com/   :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

Thanks
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »

Thanks. The instruction don't specify anything on the tube - that's why I'm unsure. They have me installing the doublets, then frames. How do I calculate the tube length? Can I just measure the tube on the plans?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:50 pm »

Yes, although the plans didn't seem spot on scale to me, they are certainly close enough to judge the nearest stock tube length to fit. Although their site doesn't give tube length it does appear to give the information that it's a " M2 thread to 2 mm diameter at motor end including 30mm three blade prop" so that, plus the measure from the plan, should sort you out with what you need.  :-)

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »

Thanks again Mike, I keep studying your Scout build and it's helping a lot. I want another kit from them but shipping holds me back. Anyhow, the plans are off a bit as you said, the actual keel is a little longer. I measured on the plans and the tube is 7" right on. I have seen 7 and 8 inch tubes in the US - any idea as to which to get?

A little crude assembly but with help from my wife we got the doublers on. I have no idea what I'm doing, just trying stuff Ive seen in builds.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59:52 pm »

Looking good !  .... why not drop Ivan at Vintage Model Boats a quick email and ask which size tube to use, he's a very helpful chap and will point you in the right direction....  :-)   Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out but remember there's no rush, best to get it right.  O0

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »

Yes, no rush! Working on getting the bulkheads in but the boat isn't as true or straight as I'd like - any tips? Since it's not on a jig or held something - not sure and I've already glued the doublers.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »

Yes it's one of the problems of a build like this, being able to keep everything square but you'll find that just putting in the fore and aft cabin sides unglued, while you're gluing the bulkheads, helps.  :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 02:14:00 am »

the original boats from Aerokits had obecie between the last two bulkheads which was over the shaft they would have been about 5/8 x 5/8 and had to be beveled at the bottom for the skins, this gave you plenty to drill for the shafts that where available and it kept everything straight. the new kits are great for new people to this kind of build at they are much more accurately made and fit together great, they just supplied a length of obecie in the past and said cut it in four on some kits or each piece was 1/2 to long I know they had to be cut and planned

Peter

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:35 pm »

Well I got the bulkheads all fitted using the cabin sides. The keel seems slightly bent when looking at it. Not sure if it's enough to cause it to sail oddly or not since it's my first. Guess I'll see!

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:05:28 pm »

You're learning how to build boats the way that many of us did when we were younger and don't worry, it will sail and you'll be as proud of your first boat as we were.  :D  Slight imperfections with a touch of filler are what we all do , believe me! .....   :embarrassed:

Manfjourde

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:00 pm »

That's the best way to learn! I'm only 26, and from what I can gather - most guys on here have been doing boats for about that long. Here are a few pics of the update.

I am wondering about motor sizes. The plans call for a 30mm prop (not sure on pitch) and I would like to use a brushless 380 motor. How many RPMs should I be striving for? I'm planning on 2s lipos.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:04 am »

Ah, now you've got me  :embarrassed:  I've never made the leap from the old fashioned brushed motors to brushless ... In fact I consider myself to have done well moving on from clockwork !  {-)   Probably the best idea is to put a new query in the relevant place in the brushless forum .... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=148.0  someone there will definitely be able to help.  The water-cooled brushed system I have in mine gives it a very good turn of speed indeed  %%  The fact that your boat is slightly smaller means that a brushless system, with the weight saving involved, should have it going like a good 'un... Oh and it's looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing how it eventually goes....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.