Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plasti card  (Read 2630 times)

antuk

plasti card
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:56:34 pm »

plasti card.
this might sound a daft question . but what is it .?
im build HMS Lion 1939 at a 6 foot no idea what scale this is .
all my previous models have been stand of scale as per the model boat mag plans you no the sort any way im now going up in size and think that lion might need a bit more attention . where do i get plasticard from how big are the sheets and how much does it cost ? is it easy to use what glue (ok ok im old and new to this . ok you guys get the idea im a total newbie to this . so any help advice is very much apprciated . thanks in advance to you.
 ??? ??? ??? ???

DavidHale

Re: plasti card
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:18:52 pm »

Plastic card is know as several things - Styrene, HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene Sheet), etc.  Basically it is the stuff that Airfix kits are made out of, but in sheet form.
It is available in a wide variety of thickness' and sizes, from around 20 thou (0.5mm) upwards, and sheet sizes upto around 4' x 2'.

Glueing is simple with any of the liquid glues (solvents) available from hobby stores made specifically for styrene, typically being dychloromethane based.

Prices vary from place to place, but as a guide I normally pay £3 or so for a sheet of 1330mm x 600mm x 1mm.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask any other questions and I'll do my best to answer.  :)

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:19:28 am »

Plasticard can often be bought in a range of sheet sizes. "Evergreen" is a well known make and they supply hobby stores with a display stand containing a range of sheet thicknesses and sizes.

It is good stuff to work with if you use the "score and snap technique" (sharp knife, steel rule, cut firmly along the line and snap with a hand each side of the cut line). Glue with MEK or a similar dedicated solvent, the technique here is to use a small, fine brush and apply a dab of glue to the joint, the glue will "wick" along the join by capillary action.

Roger in France.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:38 am »

Hello

Although I have always built plastic model kits I have never liked working with plasticard, however my Deans Marine PBR is built up with it. I am now a convert and am happily modifying the kit for detail and also scratchbuilding with plasticard. The best tip I found is to use a sharp knife and change the blades regularly. I have plasticard in varying thicknesses from paper thin (yes it is that flexible) to 2mm thickness.

Clive :)

antuk

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:47:02 pm »

great stuff brill now i am more understanding in the ways of plasticard .this has totaly given me loads more scope for lion . but guys plz dont tell the wife mess mess and more mess lol.
thanks again lads
 :) :)

Telstar

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:33:06 pm »

Hi
A tip when cutting plasticard, use a plastic cutter ( Squires Cat has a range of these) the advantage is it leaves the cut edge without the raised burr that you get using a knife

cheers

DavidHale

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 09:06:54 am »

Hi
A tip when cutting plasticard, use a plastic cutter ( Squires Cat has a range of these) the advantage is it leaves the cut edge without the raised burr that you get using a knife
cheers

I can't find a picture, but here's a link to the best available  plastic cutters.  Like Telstar said, it works by cutting a groove into the plastic - more like an engraving tool than a knife.  If you want to scribe panel lines into a sheet, this is the tool to use.

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/shop/prodpages/page-KS-2.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 19 queries.