Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Donald Campbells "Bluebird" plan  (Read 4584 times)

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
Donald Campbells "Bluebird" plan
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:50 am »

I am looking for a plan of Sir Donald Campbells "Bluebird" The one that crashed and took his life. I would prefer a plan for a Model boat, I remember there was one for a Jetex Motor, the 100 size I believe which would be a good beginning. Anyone out there that can help? I looked in the X Lists but there are just names, no details of size or is it a scale plan or a model one. Not a great deal of good really.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Donald Campbells "Bluebird" plan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »

The MyHobbyStore MM395 Plan is the original semi scale version intended for the Jetex motor. The model is 13.5 inches long.

Although the X list plans have been made available again MHS have not got around to reinstating many of the descriptions.

There was also an article in Model Boats sometine during the 1990s I think which included more detailed drawings if the craft.

Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:58 pm »

Plans and pictures on a CD is available from www.rainbowcoloured.co.uk    Fairly accurate with all the up-dates in photo form.  There is also the   enthusiasts  Yahoo   Bluebird  Modellers Group which covers most of the Campbell boats (and cars).  You are looking for K7 in the series.  Plenty of Youtube videos of various K7 models running, worth a search. BTW I dont think Donald Campbell was knighted, it was his father Sir Malcolm who was.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »

New "K7"... K777 !  See www.k777club.com
..well can you land on this?

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:39:54 pm »

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:54:41 pm »

Well many thanks for the remarks and for the plan and article that was Mailed to me, definitely gives me something to work on, needs to be enlarged though, think I will have to get my clever younger brother involved here, he was an Engineer and knows about these things!

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »

Nordsee.

Have a look on you- tube  (  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjckMFo6TUE  )  I built this K7 using the hull and sponsons only from Touchwood models.
1/12 th scale gives a model 26" long.
The first Video is using NimH batteries and the others are with 3s lipo's both with 2700kv brushless motor.
On Lipo's it gets up to 40 mph.
There is also a thread on any other builds under Touchwood K7 shown 3 builders.

What size of model do you wish to build as I may be able to help with another drawing that I have which makes a model about 36"

George.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:55:13 am »

RO5,
You are quite correct  Donald was never Knighted, just found this pic in my collection,.
George.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 10:55:04 pm »

New "K7"... K777 !  See www.k777club.com

Although undeniably similar to K7, K777 is different in all manner of different ways- different underwater shape, different nose cone, different sponson shape, different overall size, foam filled core structure with a carbon monocoque bouyant cockpit designed to seperate from the boat in an emergency.

Both Charles (builder of K777) and Bill Smith (restorer of K7) will never say that K777 is the same boat.

Not sure it should be blue though...!

A massive shame that Donald was never posthumously recognised- as I cross the point on Coniston where he died numerous times a day it never fails to sadden me that most of the generation of 18-30's have no idea of what happened on that fateful day- nor do many realise that the speed he died at has never been surpassed on the water, despite further successful record attempts recording over 300mph, which was Donald's intention.

Perhaps on the completion of the restoration of K7 a new generation will be captured by the history and glamour of Donald's record attempts.

Nordsee- the Ruskin Museum in Coniston has a couple of fantastic models of K7 on display, as well as the restored real thing come the time she's [eventually] finished.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:15:59 am »

The Ducted Fan I intend to use is 65mm rotor diameter, so I suppose that is going to decide a lot. It is intended for Speed 400 motors or Brushless equivalent. Lipos as well to save weight, all new country for me! so it will be learning by doing, I think a Test Bed is needed to try hull,/ Sponson shapes and c of g position. Will start with a scaled up version of the Jetex one, and go from there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.