Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1636 times)

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:31:35 am »

Hello all,

The welcome email from the Global Moderator sugested a newbie post so here goes.

I stumbled upon this and the Partwork forums looking for model boat kits. This is all a bit new and the plastic airfix models I built in my youth are a distant memory.

There is a local model engineering society here in Dunedin, New Zealand called the Otago Model Engineering Society. My five year old has become fascinated with the model trains so having decided to join I needed some project(s) to do.

As an ex RNZN officer boats it was to be. This sort of modelling is all new as I'm much used to making things with routers and table saws. (Photos will follow).

So to start with I'm looking at getting a couple of the beginner rated models such as the Billings lifeboats and progressing from there. As fate would have it a few (11 actually as thats the issue I picked up today) weeks ago the HMS Hood model appeared in the local booksellers. It was a quick decision and I'm looking forward to building it while learning more on the kits. I haven't started on it yet but hope to soon.

I hope to contribute as well as harvest as much help as is possible so please bear with me if I ask newbie questions.

Kind wish,

Bruce
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

Welcome aboard Bruce & I hope you enjoy your stay. Lots of boat model help here from knowledgeable people, just ask the questions when you need to, Mick B.
Mick B.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:44:24 am »

Welcome from me as well, Antipodes. My ears pricked up when I saw the machinery being used.

We like craftsmen on here and look forward to some pictures. Feel free to ask any questions, as I'm sure the members would be interested in your projects

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:22:42 am »

Welcome from me as well, Antipodes. My ears pricked up when I saw the machinery being used.

ken

Ken,

Thanks for the welcome,

A couple of outputs from the machinery follow. I guess I'll be looking for much smaller tools now!! :-)

Marcelo's Race Car Bed

Marcelo's Jeep - This has a full stub axle steering setup with universal joint steering column.
KiwiCachers

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:41 am »

Yes, bigger tools are better.    :}

I love my industrial Bandsaw. Such a handy tool. I use it most days and even sawed my Dog's biscuits into three parts because they were too big for his little mouth.   {-) {-)

regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:35:04 am »

Yes, bigger tools are better.    :}

I love my industrial Bandsaw. Such a handy tool. I use it most days and even sawed my Dog's biscuits into three parts because they were too big for his little mouth.   {-) {-)

regards

ken

Quite agree about big tools. When I built the jeep I had access to a school woodwork shop used for adult education classes. It was great - awesome tools. Then the government cut funding so the classes stopped.  :(( Built the bed at home in the garage but only after buying some tools. A band saw is on the radar if I get more industrious. I've just been browsing your Severn build - looks really good. I've just purchased the 1:40 Waverley as a starter project. They even had five of them used here in New Zealand.

Kind wish,,

Bruce
KiwiCachers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.