Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braine Quadrant......  (Read 3101 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Braine Quadrant......
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:27:45 pm »

I'm restoring an old pond yacht and I'd like to renew the somewhat tatty Braine quadrant on it, does anyone know where I could buy one these days? I've been looking everywhere and can't come up with one anywhere...    :((

all help gratefully received.....  :D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Braine Quadrant......
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »

Might be of help Mike? Not sure
http://www.vmyg.org.uk/pages/resources/plans/braine.htm
it says plans are available but they might also know where to purchase

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »

Try the Vintage Model Yacht Group: http://www.vmyg.org.uk/

Colin

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »

Cheers Dave, and Colin, yes I've seen the article on the Vintage Model Yacht Groups site and actually I've found through their links page that it seems that Sailsetc have one in their vintage section which actually looks like it will be the right size too, which may be a lot easier than actually making one, so I may well go for that, it's stainless rather than brass but at least it will do the job........  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:08:03 am »

ive found that stainless parts are better than brass ones , they dont tarnish as quickly , especially if like me you sail in salt or brackish water ?

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:35 am »

ive found that stainless parts are better than brass ones , they dont tarnish as quickly , especially if like me you sail in salt or brackish water ?

Well, from here in my lounge I can just about throw a stone in the sea when the tide's in but I do all my sailing in fresh water as luckily there's a nice boating lake in Ilfracombe where I go to sail.  :-) .... I do take your point though about tarnishing but there is something about the look of brass on an old pond yacht. I wouldn't mind getting the old Brasso out occasionally but I just don't seem to be able to find a brass quadrant anywhere. I suppose I'll just have to keep my eyes open on Ebay in case there's an old yacht suitable for robbing for spares....

This chap does some nice parts in the USA and I'm tempted to ask him ho much he'd charge to make one but it may be a bit pricey.....  {:-{   http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:39 am »

Hi Mike - does anyone have a picture of the brass part you are looking for?

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

Hi Mike - does anyone have a picture of the brass part you are looking for?

Dave

Dave, this is the sort of thing, though they do come in a variety of designs, but all do the same sort of job...  http://www.sailsetc.com/fitvint/V532.HTM  and there's more information here which explains the function a bit more  http://vmyg.org.uk/pages/resources/plans/braine.htm

As it's a bit of outdated kit, there's no ready supply and my engineering skills are slightly less than zero, wood I'm fine with but not with any of the metally type things.  %%

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:37:15 pm »

{-) I posted that link Mike. I only asked about the photo so I could look for exactly the right thing {-)
The diagram looks like a prettys straight forward job for anyone who has worked with Brass before.
I'll keep looking anyway.

Dave

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

I never said I was bright Dave !  {-)

This is the nearest thing I've found by way of a photo, the making of the thing itself out of sheet brass shouldn't be difficult but it's the fixing of the tube that goes through it that would be a tad difficult, unless one had good skills with silver soldering or similar.....   {:-{   I try not to get involved in electrickery like that whenever possible.....  :-X

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.