Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Seen on EBAY - Worth a Look?  (Read 177112 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Stuff on Ebay.... Perhaps not such a bargain...?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

Hi again I first saw the Blue Leopard kit at the old Sandown Park exhibition, and Mr. Dean knew I was interested in doing a review for a magazine and so I was given free rein to look at it.  The editor at the time declined to review the model so it never happened.  I don't think Deans made another yacht kit? 
I know they bought in some Russian boats for a short time but these were not much good.
 I had tried selling them myself from another source in ready made condition but they were crude and troublesome.
I think I reviewed the Kyosho Fairwind yacht as a consolation, mostly you get to keep the models reviewed but in the case of the Fairwind it was wanted by a Director, so I had a quick sail which went well and then delivered it to Sandown Park.
The fastest yacht I reviewed was the Libera Ocean with the right wind conditions it gets up and planes with nearly half the boat out of the water, you have to see it to believe it but it was traded a while back.
I have kept the Amati Endeavour (1:35 scale) kit this was a static to RC conversion, not for the feint hearted!  This is the only reviewed kit I have retained.
regards Roy

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Stuff on Ebay.... Perhaps not such a bargain...?
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Re: Seen on EBAY - Worth a Look?
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2018, 09:35:38 PM »

Super rare Billing Sea Start kit on eBay ....

BILLINGS BOATS - WHITE STAR BOAT KIT AND LOADS OF RADIO CONTROL EQUIPMENT
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BILLINGS-BOATS-WHITE-STAR-BOAT-KIT-AND-LOADS-OF-RADIO-CONTROL-EQUIPMENT/263799247613?hash=item3d6ba912fd:g:agMAAOSwUPZbN~N9

nowinaminute

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BILLINGS-BOATS-WHITE-STAR-BOAT-KIT-AND-LOADS-OF-RADIO-CONTROL-EQUIPMENT/263799247613?hash=item3d6ba912fd:g:agMAAOSwUPZbN~N9

I got this  :}

It will be the first kit I've ever had and certainly the first with wood etc.

I've seen a video of the old girl going along at quite a lick! Seems like it can go surprisingly fast for what it is, rather like the Graupner pegasus III and other similar vessels. Between that and the looks of the thing I was in love!

I will probably want to run it on modest outrunner motors for a cheap but gutsy power source. Maybe incorporate differential mixing for steering to supliment the rudder.

I'll probably sell on the brushed motors and TX/RX combo to make funds for the parts I want. Seems like there are no fittings either but I guess I can buy whatever little bits I want really to make it look pretty.

I'm sure in a week or so there will be a new build thread with me needing lots of help and hand holding, most of my RC experience is with cars and trucks so these wooden kits are very new and alien to me!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »

This seller is auctioning 3 unbuilt Model Slipway kits: Tamar, Aziz and Our Lass.
Be careful though since Slipway do not advertise their prices on their site and you could end up overpaying!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kevinsmodels/m.html?item=273356754441&hash=item3fa5550e09%3Ag%3AIzQAAOSwic5bSyCo&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:38 PM »

I got this  :}

It will be the first kit I've ever had and certainly the first with wood etc.

I've seen a video of the old girl going along at quite a lick! Seems like it can go surprisingly fast for what it is, rather like the Graupner pegasus III and other similar vessels. Between that and the looks of the thing I was in love!

I will probably want to run it on modest outrunner motors for a cheap but gutsy power source. Maybe incorporate differential mixing for steering to supliment the rudder.

I'll probably sell on the brushed motors and TX/RX combo to make funds for the parts I want. Seems like there are no fittings either but I guess I can buy whatever little bits I want really to make it look pretty.

I'm sure in a week or so there will be a new build thread with me needing lots of help and hand holding, most of my RC experience is with cars and trucks so these wooden kits are very new and alien to me!
That was my second RC kit build back in time, and I gave it away when I moved back in 1999  <:( and has not been able to locate another kit in ages in Denmark, "luckily" that seller were not shipping to Denmark  ok2
Ms. Tica think that I do have to many projects at the moment
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »

Unusual - ?????

USS Spry PG64 - A very unusual radio model corvette

"The model is a fairly accurate, scale model of USS Spry PG64, converted from the 1:72 Revell kit. Drive is a standard 540 motor via a brass prop and she sails for a fair length of time at scale speed on 6 volts. There are plenty of photos on navsource for you to compare the accuracy both of the build and the camouflage system.
I've never found another conversion like this one, so it does stand out on the pond. The main 4" and 3" guns are scratch built as are the US style depth charge throwers and racks etc.
Unusually, the battery is installed through the bridge so she should cope with a bit of rough weather, rather like the real thing.
Price includes everything except the receiver and transmitter."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USS-Spry-PG64-A-very-unusual-radio-model-corvette/183349053613?hash=item2ab07488ad:g:IwUAAOSw51xbXMnN

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »

Unusual ? yeah , " she should cope with rough weather, just like the real thing "  %%  there's an optimist , Flower's would roll on wet grass , you needed to be 'ard to sail on those things . . .
Bill

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2018, 10:00:08 AM »

Lordy Lordy, I'm sorry to have upset someone!
1. Martin, the only model of this version I could find at the time of building was a static one from John Haynes. Show me another and I'll put a tenner into Mayhem!2. Bill, I'm quite happy to add vomit stains on the deck if you wish in the search for accuracy :-)) To my simple way of thinking, the model will not ship water as much as some I know.
Cheers for now
Tony

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »

Well done Martin that  was a good way to help get round the advertising on ebay and the forum :}

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »

Surely any entry in Sales is long gone.
 %)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »

<*<  Sniping aside . . . yes puke stains on the deck will add authenticity :-))  what is unusual is that the AMERICAN'S would operate a flower class , don't think they went to sea without ice-cream aboard  ;)  cant have had many . . . .
Bill

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »

Sniping aside agreed, yes they seemed to be happy with the bunches of flowers we and the Canadians sent them.Have a look at http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/09idx.htm  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

<*<  Sniping aside . . . yes puke stains on the deck will add authenticity :-))  what is unusual is that the AMERICAN'S would operate a flower class , don't think they went to sea without ice-cream aboard  ;)  cant have had many . . . .
Bill
Lend-Lease worked both ways.  Those that were transferrederted to the USN and USCG were re-armed to suit not having to defend against aircraft (Luftwaffe raids were unlikely in the western Atlantic) and got other equipment to conform to US operating practices and their standard armaments.  Probably included an ice cream machine in the galley.
When Revel first brought the Corvette, it was as USS Saucy, with alternative instructions for Snowberry and left over bits on the sprues for Bluebell.

A really unusual conversion would be one of those that the German Navy operated. 
"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer (Simpson)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2018, 12:17:26 PM »

Hi Malcolm,

While you're probably right about the the AA effectiveness of the 3"/50 gun and the 4 Oelikons of the USN against the MkVIII 2pdr and 2 Oerlikons of the RN Flowers, the question that Martin raised in the first instance is the use of the word "unusual"
As I put in my initial reply, at the time of build (2014) I found no other model, apart from one from JH, on the web of a non-Saucy USN corvette which is not post-full yard refit of an ex-RN original. The only similar one was based on the RCN type with the higher bridge structure.

Since then, I've kept a cursory look around but in the absence of evidence to the contrary there's "xxxxx" all I can consider :embarrassed:
Cheers
Tony
PS Find me one and I'll put that tenner into Mayhem!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »

raflaunches

• Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »

Hmm ,that tenner will come in handy . . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Flower-class_corvettes#United_States_Navy
Bill

I think Tony means another model like his. :-))

Tony likes to build the unusual and possible one-offs, I bought his beautiful little Marriott submarine a few years back- definitely unique in my opinion, and unusual.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »

Thanks Nick,
I think that someone is just extracting the usual :-))

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »

Ah! Was/is that your sale Tony? Oops!  :embarrassed:

Gun on the stern does make it pretty unique.   

( Topic moved )

Well done Martin that  was a good way to help get round the advertising on ebay and the forum :}

Hope you get a fair sail sale!  :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »

:embarrassed:

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »

there's an optimist , Flower's would roll on wet grass ,

a great analogy, love it {-) {-) {-) {-)

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »

Thanks Nick,
I think that someone is just extracting the usual :-))
O0  interestingly looking over the wikipedia listings , they all seem to be RN designations & non actually built directly for the USN , and quite a few other countries used them too . . .
Bill

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »

If you look at the navsource lists, some of the Canadian ones were built directly for the USN under contract and not via the RCN . PG90 was built for the USN as USS Caprice and then transferred to the RN under lend-lease.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

Monitor Marshall Soult

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/radio-controlled-boat-Royal-Navy-Monitor-Marshall-Soult/173319558530?hash=item285aa69582:g:6AwAAOSwQWxa-t5z

Not a big conversion to HMS General Wolfe.  General Wolfe was one of the ships that carried the largest piece of ordinance ever sortied by the Royal Navy.  In addition to her twin 12 inch guns and assorted 3 and 6 inch guns General Wolfe mounted a single 18 inch barrel capable of firing 32 miles.  The barrel was in a semi trainable mount aimed to the Starboard which meant that if she was to be used for shore bombardment in Europe she could only fire while sailing north or east.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up